webpage makeover

For official announcements and news items only.
hanako
Site Admin

webpage makeover

#1 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Fooling around with some ideas to replace the current main webpage.

Would appreciate it if people with unusual computers/browsers took a look at

http://dreamhost.hanakogames.com/slidy.html

and let me know if anything seems totally broken.

FantasyFan

#2 Post by FantasyFan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Eh, it works but I don't think I really like it. The list of updates takes prominence over the games themselves - it doesn't look as exciting.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

(Less exciting? Is the giant top animation not showing up on your browser?)

Don't have time to mess with it at the moment but current plan is to add a bit of blurb between the Big Promo Image Displays and the updates section to better orient people to what the site is. I think it is useful to have updates somewhat prominent, but a little more identity before them is probably a good plan.

FantasyFan

#4 Post by FantasyFan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Hmm, no, there's a picture of the LLTQ main menu image but no animation.

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Post by hanako » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 am

What it should do is regularly fade to the next image on display, except when you mouseover it (and then the fading stops and forward/back arrows appear on the sides of the picture)

Do you see purple arrow buttons on the sides if you mouse over it?

Do you have javascript disabled or any other weird browser settings?

Serenity_Hotaru

#6 Post by Serenity_Hotaru » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:00 am

It works fine for me.

I think it's okay but it just doesn't work for me. I just don't like it. I'd probably like it better if it were centered on the screen more though. On my computer, only the words on the bar at the top (the one that says Forums, Support, etc.) are centered. The rest of the page isn't and it just looks weird.
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Annoying the community with useless information and questions since Day 1 of my membership.

FantasyFan

#7 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:16 am

Ah, okay. I guess I didn't stay on the image long enough for it to change.

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Post by hanako » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 am

I guess I didn't stay on the image long enough for it to change.
Ah, so is it working now then?

I'm mostly looking for places where it looks like something is actually broken and rendering wrong, so that I know if the code needs fixing. Like the huge IE6 bug we just found and fixed. Practically nobody uses IE6 anymore anyway, but it's still probably a better idea to fix it. :)

so - are the transparent graphics appropriately transparent? is the animation animating? Is it crawling all over the page and blinking madly? Are the arrow buttons showing up on mouseover? Anything else that looks so strange you're not sure I actually meant it to do that?

I know how much I hate it when sites change out from under me, but it takes a while and a larger sample size to evaluate whether something is a good or bad idea, so I'm more looking for bugs right now and not like/dislike :)
On my computer, only the words on the bar at the top (the one that says Forums, Support, etc.) are centered. The rest of the page isn't and it just looks weird.
Specific suggestions are good though - with your centering question, are you using a really wide browser window and getting a huge patch of white space off to the right? That's something I can poke at a little bit, although it's always going to look slightly sparse in super-widescreen.

Yuri-chi

#9 Post by Yuri-chi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:43 am

It looks fine to me. The only specific suggestion I want to give is to put some sort of border around the games on the side. It'll give it more of a 'clean' look, I think.