Beta test of Cute Knight Kingdom for Linux and Mac

In this sequel to Cute Knight, you have the whole kingdom to explore, and many secrets to find...
Spiky Caterpillar

Beta test of Cute Knight Kingdom for Linux and Mac

#1 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 am

The latest beta tests are up for download from
http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/beta/

The Linux build should run on both x86 and x86-64 distributions (if you have 32-bit binary compatibility). It requires 24/32 bit color to display correctly - I'm not sure if 16-bit displays are widespread enough to be worth adding special support.

The Mac build should run on both Intel and PPC Macintoshes with OS X 10.4 or higher; it is more thoroughly tested on PPC than on Intel, however. If it crashes, please send me the traceback; if it refuses to launch at all and you have the developer tools installed, you can use gdb to get debugging output by starting Terminal.app, changing to the directory you uncompressed the demo in (i.e, cd ~/Desktop/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.23.1-mac/ )
gdb CuteKnightKingdom.app
and typing run at the GDB prompt.

This is not yet finished - there are still a few bugs that I know about, and I'm sure there are more bugs that I don't yet know about. Anyhow, try it and let us know what the bugs are.

WARNING: future posts in this thread may contain spoilers!
Last edited by Spiky Caterpillar on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

_SE_

#2 Post by _SE_ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:24 pm

I may be retarded, but when I try to run this I get
~/Desktop/CuteKnightKingdom-demo$ ./CuteKnightKingdom
RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file

Spiky Caterpillar

#3 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 pm

What distribution, CPU type, and Python version (python --version should tell you) are you running? It was built on 2.5;

Code: Select all

python2.5 rungm6.pyc
may make it work. If not, I'll be putting together a Renpy-encapsulated build that should come with all the dependencies shortly.

_SE_

#4 Post by _SE_ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:04 am

Ah, I have python 2.6.4
I have Ubuntu 9.10 with an Intel i7 (64 bit) cpu.

Spiky Caterpillar

#5 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Updated - the new one is built with Ren'Py, so it ships with its own python. (It would have been up yesterday, but I wound up having to figure out how to use MMX to get some of the graphic effects working right in 32-bit.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#6 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:25 pm

And bumping to announce that we need fullbuild alpha testers now.

takemitsu

#7 Post by takemitsu » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:07 pm

First of all, thank you very much for porting this game to Linux.

I'm running the 0.8.7-demo on Arch Linux (Rolling Release) with a 32-Bit CPU.
Here are some bugs I have encountered:

When I start this game I get a small information:

Debug: Unidentified machine type i686 - defaulting to i586
Then I have a black window for about 8 seconds. After this I see for about a second "Loading..." and the game starts. I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to behave.

Whenever I go into the "options" from the main menu and then click on "Return" the music stops. It doesn't seem to matter if I change any options or not. Clicking on "New Game" brings the music back.

If you move your character with the mouse and press an arrow key at the same time the pathfinding seems to mess up. Sometimes your character even goes through buildings and leaves the screen. If you are in some location pressing "To Map" gives you your character back. But if you try to move your character with the mouse the game crashes. Here is the traceback:

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

IndexError: list index out of range

While running game code:
 - script at line 725 of renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy
 - python at line 729 of renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy.
 - script at line 302 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy
 - python at line 307 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/main.py", line 310, in main
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/main.py", line 93, in run
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/execution.py", line 234, in run
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy", line 729, in <module>
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/game.py", line 292, in call_in_new_context
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy", line 307, in <module>
  File "rungm6.py", line 370, in <module>
  File "gm6.py", line 4032, in StepKeyMouse
  File "gm6.py", line 2617, in StepKeyMouse
  File "gm6.py", line 2386, in RunActionGroupOn
  File ":event:#50", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 10, in __py_603_tmpfunc_645
  File "<string>", line 10, in start_map_move
  File "<string>", line 28, in scr_motion_compute
  File "gmapi.py", line 2387, in mp_grid_path
IndexError: list index out of range

While running game code:
 - script at line 302 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy
 - python at line 307 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e
If you try to move your character with the mouse (arrow keys do not work) while she goes through buildings but didn't leave the screen yet, your stdout is filled with lists of numbers:

Warning: Could not pathfind to 7 8
[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 999, 998, 997, 996, 995]
[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1000, 999, 998, 997, 996]
[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1001, 1000, 999, 998, 997]
[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1002, 1001, 1000, 999, 998]
[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1003, 1002, 1001, 1000, 999]
etc...
You can reproduce this bug as follows:
Go to your home town.
Move your character directly behind Donald.
Press the left arrow key to move your character a little bit.
Click on Michanda immediately afterwards while you are still holding the key.
While your character moves up hold the key for another second and then release it.

At last there is a small bug with the time and the game saves. Whenever I either load or save a game I get

Error determining hour for 0.8308
Error determining minute for 0.8308
and the time saved is one hour ahead of the real time.

That's it. I hope I was of any service. And thanks againg for porting this game.

Spiky Caterpillar

#8 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks for the detailed bug report! There's a new demo (0.8.13) up for download that should fix the bugs you reported (along with a few others).

(Oh, and now that I have enough coffee in me to think, maybe I should actually link to the new demo dir:
http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/alpha/ )

takemitsu

#9 Post by takemitsu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Running the 0.8.15-demo:
The bugs seem to be mostly fixed. But I still have a black screen for several seconds before I see "Loading..." shortly.

Also I encountered another bug again regarding the pathfinding:
If you click with your mouse somewhere to move your character to that point, you can click on a person to talk with them while your character is still walking. Your character just needs to be near enough to that person. As you are talking with that person your character doesn't stop and keeps walking until she reaches her point.
If you set your character to walk out of a location in the course of this, some problems can occur even though you pretty much have to deliberately provoke them:

If you are fast enough you can start a job. When your character then reaches the exit of the location the job aborts and you are on the world map. The days you have spent on your job are lost as well as the HP and MP you may have used. Also you don't get the money you may have earned.

If a person has something new to chat about and your character reaches the exit before you have finished talking, you once again land on the world map. Then you can't chat with the person about this anymore.

There is another small bug in the beach location. If you arrive there in the time before Deborah is there and do some fishing until the time arrives where she should be there, Deborah doesn't show up until you either go to the menu and then back to the game or leave the location and enter it again.

Well, that's it again. Keep up the good work!

Spiky Caterpillar

#10 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks! Deborah not showing up while the PC is there is not being changed at this point in time (we have a reason, really!), but the big pathfinding bug should be fixed in the demos I uploaded today, along with the interminable blank screen before the loading screen.

(Of course, while uploading the newest test demos, I found a new pathfinding bug I need to fix - but this one just looks silly instead of walking out of town.)

neothoron

#11 Post by neothoron » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Thank you for building your game on a cross platform engine - I appreciate it.

I have tested build 0.9.23.1 on an Ubuntu 9.10 - 64bit.

I get the following output when launching the game:

Failed to load fasttint_x86_64.so
Unable to load glowing_spr_inv.png
Unhandled event <Event(28-UserEvent {})>
The first two lines appear nearly immediately, and the third line appears only when the main menu loads.

When exiting, it sometimes produces the following output:

File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/main.py", line 310, in main
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/main.py", line 93, in run
  File "renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy", line 729, in <module>
  File "renpy-6.10.2/renpy/game.py", line 292, in call_in_new_context
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy", line 307, in <module>
  File "rungm6.py", line 412, in <module>
  File "rungm6.py", line 355, in handle_events
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'keyboard_key_press'

While running game code:
 - python at line 307 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy
Otherwise, I have only tried the game for about 15 minutes, but I haven't had any problems running the game.

Trazoi

#12 Post by Trazoi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 pm

I've tried out your alpha demo on my Intel iMac running MacOS 10.5.8 (Leopard). My default version of Python is 2.5.1 although I've also got Python 2.6 installed.

When I try to run the demo, I get this error message:

script.

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'fasttint_i586.so'

While executing init code:
 - script at line 269 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy
 - python at line 291 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy.

File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.23.1-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.23.1-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/main.py", line 255, in main
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.23.1-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/execution.py", line 234, in run
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.23.1-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.23.1-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy", line 291, in <module>
  File "gmapi.py", line 51, in <module>
  File "gmapi.py", line 49, in py_import_fasttint
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'fasttint_i586.so'

- script at line 269 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy
 - python at line 291 of /home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy.

Spiky Caterpillar

#13 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 am

0.9.24 should fix the Linux crash bugs and hopefully give the right error message when it crashes on Intel Macs (the error loading fasttint_i586.so occurs because it was falling back to loading the i586 Linux lib if it couldn't load the correct fasttint - which doesn't give the information I need to fix the actual bug.)

Thanks!
(Now I must return to poking around trying to figure out why it catches fire on intel.)

Trazoi

#14 Post by Trazoi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 am

Here's the new and improved error message from running 0.9.24 on an Intel Mac under Leopard. Hope it helps!

Edit: Do you prefer to have the tracebacks posted here, or sent by email? These things get very bulky if posted in a form thread in succession!

script.

ImportError: dlopen(./fasttint_macos_i386.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: _PyType_GenericNew
  Referenced from: /Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/fasttint_macos_i386.dylib
  Expected in: /Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/fasttint_macos_i386.dylib

File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/main.py", line 255, in main
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/execution.py", line 234, in run
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "/Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom-demo/game/options.rpy", line 291, in <module>
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom/game/gmapi.py", line 54, in <module>
  File "/home/deekoo/code/renpy-projects/CuteKnightKingdom/game/gmapi.py", line 45, in py_import_fasttint
ImportError: dlopen(./fasttint_macos_i386.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: _PyType_GenericNew
  Referenced from: /Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/fasttint_macos_i386.dylib
  Expected in: /Applications/Games/Demos/CuteKnightKingdom-demo-0.9.24-mac/CuteKnightKingdom-demo.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/fasttint_macos_i386.dylib

Spiky Caterpillar

#15 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:59 am

Here's the new and improved error message from running 0.9.24 on an Intel Mac under Leopard. Hope it helps!
It does; 0.9.25.1 might work (or might show a different bug, depending).
Edit: Do you prefer to have the tracebacks posted here, or sent by email? These things get very bulky if posted in a form thread in succession!

For the alpha, either one will work (and this thread's pretty much guaranteed to be full of tracebacks no matter what) - once it's released, I'd prefer forum posts to make it easier for users to find patches.