THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

Train a little vampire to restore her power as she chomps her way through the town!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#46 Post by hanako » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:53 pm

Yes, looks like you got that bad ending because of how high your rebellion was - it does play into the final calculations. It also starts skewing all your success/fail rolls and generally making the game more difficult, though I don't know if that was noticeable or not since it happens slowly over time. I'm considering adding a few more color levels to that indicator for people really pushing it.
(I'm at 17/21 endings so I'm trying to think creatively about what I might be missing!)
I'm not sure at what point I should list off endings or give any hints about what triggers them. :D I'd be curious to see your gallery to see which ones are being elusive though.

q_3

#47 Post by q_3 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:39 pm

I went back and did notice the flapping bat animation during the ending. And yes, I was noticing some unexpected job failures, though not until rebellion was really high. Maybe also show the bat animation when rebellion causes a failure? And a couple extra levels for the icon would work, too, maybe make it turn red; I know I've gotten the icon to max before without any noticeable effect (other than making the hunter ending available).

Here's my gallery. FWIW, doctor, teacher, and vampire vitamins I've only ever gotten by accident. Business lady was a bit tricky, too, as I needed to alchemize my law stat to avoid the politician ending. Strange masters also seems hard to avoid once you qualify for it, as there's no way to alchemize Occult.

MillaMaxwell

#48 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:48 am

I'm missing six endings now. Here's my gallery: https://imgur.com/cuzdS15

I've been trying to get doctor and whatever that vitamins one is by focusing on science-related classes, but I haven't had any luck thus far. I keep ending up with farmer, socialite, or secret masters instead. I did finally manage to finish the Urban Exploration classes, but I had to build up Technology to get jobs that made it sustainable and so I ended up with the hacker ending again.

Edit: I got the idol ending and noticed a typo in the technology variant: https://imgur.com/lBJRxo3

hanako
Site Admin

#49 Post by hanako » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:01 pm

It's not a science ending (the vitamins thing was a science variant of it) and it's currently being rewritten as it wasn't covering the scope it was originally intended to. Which won't affect how you get it, but will affect how it reads when you do.

(The medical one is science-related in how you get it.)

Still not sure when I should start giving more information on how endings are unlocked. Also not sure how frequently I should patch up - do you guys want smaller changes faster or would you rather I hang on until all the romances are in, since you'll need to start new games to follow those plotlines?

Bloody Vikings

#50 Post by Bloody Vikings » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:04 pm

I'd say hold off since you already did a batch of UI/convenience fixes unless something is found that needed fixed quickly. I like the updates, but that's time and stress capacity you could apply elsewhere.
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

q_3

#51 Post by q_3 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:35 pm

I think you should release patches only when there's new or different content you want tested.

The scene where vampire gets teased about having a crush on the horticulture teacher is cute! But now I have to see if there are any other rare scene variants like that. :D

Suggestion: have Arm Wrestling give a couple points of strength whether you win or lose, which would make it a bit more useful early on when you're unlikely to win very often. Or maybe a different stat based on whether you win or lose? Dominance if you win, awareness if you lose, something like that.

MillaMaxwell

#52 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:32 pm

I agree that you should wait until the romance plot lines are ready before you do the next update.

hanako
Site Admin

#53 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:23 pm

Version 0.8 available!

This is not a full final beta but it does include relationships, bonus scenes in all classes, and several other changes. I have been having a TERRIBLE week including big internet outages (and leaking roof) and have struggled to get this uploaded so even just saying that you managed to download it would be a blessing for me :D Make sure you're selecting the 0.8 version from the game manager!

What's obviously not done yet: credits, gallery stuff, achievements

CHANGED:

Removed Temperance gains from modeling - This will only show up on NEW games.
Auto-hid the stat display when going into the epilogues.
New butler storyline scenes implemented (may require a new game in order to set flags)
Big changes to the "heal the world" ending variants.
Some typos fixed
Added a science variant to fashion designer ending
New icons for high rebellion
Relationships available! May require restarting to unlock more smoothly.
New options at the cinema - sneaking in without paying, picking pockets, and playing video games (requires separate unlock)
Removed epilogue from history display
New option to view your final character details at the end of the game
Character names corrected in History mode
If an activity was canceled so that you have a 'None' in the list, you should now be blocked from starting the next week until you set a replacement activity.
All classes should now have at least one unlockable scene

Character relationships are NOT EXCLUSIVE. While it's difficult to complete more than one per playthrough, it can be done, I'm not stopping you. Vampires often have harems!
How this works is that, if you do manage to unlock the special end-game scene for each route, your career epilogue will have an addition for that character. Yes, EVERY career epilogue has options for EVERY possible character, even if it's highly unlikely that you'll ever achieve that outcome. (My brain melted a little doing this.) In particular I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get most of those endings with the Lore teacher without cheating like crazy. But they're there! In case you do cheat, or in case new features make it possible to reach that ending later!

It is not necessarily obvious HOW to unlock endings with each character. I'm happy to provide more details if asked but I thought some of you might like to try blind first.

Bloody Vikings

#54 Post by Bloody Vikings » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:51 pm

Thank you for the update. I look forward to checking out all of the new things.

I assume a KS update is on its way for those not on the forums. When you feel up to it, of course.
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

hanako
Site Admin

#55 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:13 pm

yeah, probably tomorrow after some sleep. assuming my net connection works enough to post! (we laugh so we don't cry...)

q_3

#56 Post by q_3 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:00 am

Yay! Downloaded and played! I did a quick playthrough and got the Politician ending with Spelunker romance, enjoyed the new scenes. I also completed the Lore class but didn't get her ending or notice any new scenes. I did see a few new scenes with Computers that were pretty cute - she's not a love interest is she? Too bad.

Divination doesn't tell you if you're going to get a romance ending, maybe it should?

I'm not sure if Launch Character Report is working or if it's a problem on my end. It opens my default browser but doesn't seem to load anything. (On Mac, default browser is Firefox.)

MillaMaxwell

#57 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 am

Awesome! I just updated and played through the Rosalie (computer teacher) romance route. Super cute! I ended up getting the farmer ending and loved that the romantic partner is included.

hanako
Site Admin

#58 Post by hanako » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:40 am

q_3 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:00 am
Yay! Downloaded and played! I did a quick playthrough and got the Politician ending with Spelunker romance, enjoyed the new scenes. I also completed the Lore class but didn't get her ending or notice any new scenes. I did see a few new scenes with Computers that were pretty cute - she's not a love interest is she? Too bad.
Rosalie the computer teacher IS an option.
Divination doesn't tell you if you're going to get a romance ending, maybe it should?

I'm not sure if Launch Character Report is working or if it's a problem on my end. It opens my default browser but doesn't seem to load anything. (On Mac, default browser is Firefox.)
Ooo, a mac user, the one platform I didn't have handy for tests. What it's trying to do (and appeared to do on PC and linux) is to open a text file. On windows this pops Notepad. On spiky's linux it popped some text editor that I can't remember what it was, but it did work. But it's doing this through an OpenURL command so it may try to go to a browser first before the browser says "no, this is a text file, send it to this other program". Is there any filename shown in the address bar? What normally happens if you try to open a txt file in Firefox?

To see if the file is being written correctly at all, look in your savegame directory (which I think should be ~/Library/RenPy/(cute bite something) ) and look for a CharacterReport.txt file. If you can find the directory and it's full of saves but no txt, then that suggests it didn't write correctly, but if the file's there then it didn't launch right, so it's useful to know which way that went.

q_3

#59 Post by q_3 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:16 am

Opening a text file in Firefox just displays the text. I think I may have found the problem, though. I do have a Library/Renpy/CuteBite-[numbers] folder, but the text file is located not in that folder but in the Library/Renpy folder with the name "CuteBite-[numbers]\CharacterReport.txt". So it tried to write to the folder but something went haywire. Maybe the backslash?

hanako
Site Admin

#60 Post by hanako » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:22 am

Ah, that's helpful, thanks! I do have a a Mac friend (but he was busy this week) so I may be able to get some quick fixes tested later.