THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

Train a little vampire to restore her power as she chomps her way through the town!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#31 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:20 pm

Just double-checked it - both classes canceled, no price change.

Though speaking of biting teachers, I do have chibi art for biting the Lore teacher which may never be used in the game. When I commissioned it I thought it might be part of the romance route, but due to the way classes and endings have eventually worked out, I don't think there's any way to fit it in.

Bloody Vikings

#32 Post by Bloody Vikings » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Secret hidden concept bonus art!
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

q_3

#33 Post by q_3 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Make her a super rare encounter while hunting? :twisted:

Will the finalized gallery include ending texts? That would be nice. I don't know if it's feasible, but it would be especially neat if it tracked which variants you've seen and showed whether you've missed any.

hanako
Site Admin

#34 Post by hanako » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Will the finalized gallery include ending texts? That would be nice. I don't know if it's feasible, but it would be especially neat if it tracked which variants you've seen and showed whether you've missed any.
I'd really rather not as that kind of extra bookkeeping discourages me from adding more options instead of feeling free to add more ideas when I come up with them. But I don't know for certain until I actually tinker with the final versions. I have in previous games of this nature allowed players to manually save their ending text so they can at least remember and compare.

GremlinWrangler

#35 Post by GremlinWrangler » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:42 am

Have got hacker with a side order of burglary to add to the collection.

Certainly with vaguely sensible activity you get a dead patch at the back end of the game once you can clear out the hunter. Only real difficulty seemed to be people hiding away when out trying to feed.

Does offering people the choice to end a couple of months early break any internal game or story logic? Maybe as part of the closing out a maxed class offer an option to skip to the endgame and maybe only for players who have ended at least once already). This might mean more players would see the less optimal end games, and give a speed run option for those that like that sort of thing.

I'm not sure what the solution for those playing out the endgame with one good set of feeding stats without making the hunting minigame more complex/buggy. Possibly once people start hiding out there are burglary style stat checks to find someone alone or tempt them away from safety to drive adding back in some of your dumped stats, akin to how burglery drives some interesting choices to deal with dogs etc.

GW

hanako
Site Admin

#36 Post by hanako » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:00 pm

As of 0.7.1 there is now the option to end slightly early (March) via divination, since that's how she can find out "yeah, you're strong enough to do this now"

Some things I'm considering at the moment:
- an option to sneak into the movies without paying (Mischief)
- stripping the Temperance boost from the Model job. However, this may only affect newly started games because of where the stats are set.

q_3

#37 Post by q_3 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:50 pm

Once hunting dries up for me, unless I have the Ball activity unlocked I usually just buy lots of blood popsicles every few weeks. It's inefficient - especially if one stat has a significantly higher maximum than the other - but money usually isn't too hard to come by at that point, especially if you burglarize the office building.

Additionally, there's a couple full free heals on festival days in the latter part of the game, though if you're not prepared for them you might not get much benefit (e.g. going hunting or buying popsicles the weekend immediately before). Maybe have Saule mention that something really nice is coming up in the next week?
hanako wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:00 pm
Some things I'm considering at the moment:
- an option to sneak into the movies without paying (Mischief)
- stripping the Temperance boost from the Model job. However, this may only affect newly started games because of where the stats are set.
Both of those sound good to me. Model has definitely been one of the best jobs by a lot, maybe too much so. If you're adjusting things downward, Security Guard could also probably stand to be debuffed a little bit.

MillaMaxwell

#38 Post by MillaMaxwell » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Okay, I finally had some free time to dive into this! I got three endings: losing to the Hunter, becoming a Hacker, and just kinda hanging out reclusively in the manor. The tech-savvy route was way easier (aside from learning to run from the Hunter, haha) because the IT Help Desk job paid very well and raised my Etiquette passively so that when I ran out of Computer classes and switched to Ballroom Dancing on a whim, I could unlock the dancing minigame almost immediately, which raised a ton of other stats while also keeping my Mind and Body up.

On my next route, I tried more of a physical build and never really got a good rhythm down -- my jobs (Library Shelver and then Store Stocker) didn't pay enough to be able to afford classes without weeks of saving up and the classes used up my tiny Mind stat so fast I had to rest way more than it felt like I should. And the only extra thing I unlocked was Arm Wrestling, which I failed at every time. :lol: I think I know what I did wrong though: I should have picked just one particular class early on, taken that whenever I had money, and then hoped it unlocked a better job before trying to diversify my activities. But I still made it to the ending, so it was a fine experience anyway. I'm looking forward to poking around more and finding more endings!

Oh, and thank you so much for making that change to the Resting UI! Resting felt way better without all those down arrows and so I am way more comfortable using that option now. :D

q_3

#39 Post by q_3 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:48 pm

I did a run as a modern, business and tech savvy vampire and noticed I wasn't unlocking any weekend activities without going out of my way to get unrelated stats; my main stats (awareness, insight, technology, etiquette, business, law, and history) never unlocked anything on their own. Maybe add an extra activity for them? I could see technology getting an MMO, or business plus technology getting Day Trading (sure it's nighttime in Europe, but it's a global economy! Though that would probably need alternate dialogue for the Estate class where she hasn't learned about Wall Street yet). Or history gets a museum that happens to be open late at night?

Accounting's insight penalty feels like too much for a job that pays less, especially when it's a stat you probably want if you're built for that job. If you have the relevant stats you'll probably also qualify for File Clerk or Fact Checker which have more pay and no penalty. Maybe remove the Insight penalty and increase the Grace penalty instead? That would make more sense to me, and right now the Grace penalty is so small it doesn't seem worth including. Or give Accounting a pay raise, that would make sense too.

hanako
Site Admin

#40 Post by hanako » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:07 pm

my main stats (awareness, insight, technology, etiquette, business, law, and history) never unlocked anything on their own
They definitely unlocked things. :D

hanako
Site Admin

#42 Post by hanako » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:53 pm

They didn't unlock weekend activities, they unlocked other things. Though one of them would unlock a weekend activity, but you have to meet the dance teacher once first before you can decide to dress up as a prince and go to balls. It is Etiquette based though, not any other stat.

q_3

#43 Post by q_3 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Fair enough! I was just used to quickly unlocking multiple weekend activities on prior runs, so this time around the options seemed sparse. And modern vampires don't attend ballroom dancing classes because they don't want to learn hoity toity "Classical Arts." 8)

MillaMaxwell

#44 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:03 am

I've gotten nine endings now, including the bad ending (deliberately tried for that by having Buttercup sleep all day every day) and the special defeat the hunter ending, which took a lot of tries to get right because Buttercup kept being either not rebellious enough, not strong enough to consistently beat the hunter, or I failed to unlock the scene where she asks Saule about the hunter a second time. Not sure what the conditions are to unlock that scene, but when I made Buttercup a rebellious warrior, everything finally fell into place. (Oh, and there was a typo in the conversation with the hunter. I didn't get a screenshot, but she said "you you" in one sentence.)

One weird combination of stats + ending that I got was when I maxed out Horticulture and then switched to Horseback Riding, but somehow ended up with the fashion designer ending. I had been going to a bunch of balls on weekends to refill my mind/body and had high Style, but it still wasn't what I was expecting for my outdoorsy vampire...

Now my current challenge is trying to max out the Urban Spelunking class. I keep having trouble affording it when it gets to the higher levels, even with Burglary to supplement my income. I had better luck when I maxed out Martial Arts first and was consistently working as a security guard in addition to burgling, but by that point, there wasn't enough time left to max it out. Probably just an issue of needing better time/resource management on my end. :lol:

q_3

#45 Post by q_3 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:23 pm

If you have View Stats enabled when you reach the ending, the stats will continue to display during the credits and can't be turned off.

These stats got me a bad ending, which was surprising given they're overall higher than other successful runs I've had. Divination on the last weekend said "you might be able to regain your adult form already, though it's too soon to try." I had been going out of my way to increase rebellion and otherwise just make vampire mad by choosing classes she disliked and giving bad answers to her questions, so is that the cause? I was curious if there was an ending where, like, she's restored but hates Saule so much she doesn't offer her blood or something. (I'm at 17/21 endings so I'm trying to think creatively about what I might be missing!)

I did notice that after defeating the hunter with max rebellion, vampire went with her without even an option to say no. Had to reload and spend the rest of the game avoiding hunting. :oops: