Magical Diary Alpha/Preorder

Female protagonist, in the hall for adventurous girls.
Riviera

#181 Post by Riviera » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Personally am still wondering who all the five (is it still five?) dateables are.

I think I know, but I'm doing the wait-and-see in case one of them turns out to be someone I haven't seen yet.

I'm trying to literally beat the snot out of the monster in the most current dungeon, but I don't think I did my character build right, and that makes the RPGer in me sad. :lol:

Is there a way to effect the chances of winning in bingo, short of somehow getting a spell that lets you cheat? If that's even possible? None of my characters have won yet, although I have noticed that the first number he calls has been different each time.

hanako
Site Admin

#182 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Is there a way to affect the chances of winning in bingo, short of somehow getting a spell that lets you cheat? If that's even possible? None of my characters have won yet, although I have noticed that the first number he calls has been different each time.
The number is random and so is your chance of winning. Gambling - not a reliable way of making money! :) On the other hand, the odds of winning are a lot better here than they are for grabbing the bunny, I've had it happen more than once during testing.

stopthepresses

#183 Post by stopthepresses » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:23 pm

My script stops completely on January 10 right after the dungeon. I updated to version 0.3.3, which should go five more days if I'm reading correctly.

I run Windows XP, if that's relevant.

hanako
Site Admin

#184 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:28 pm

as I asked the last person with a problem like that - did you save your game on that day when using an older version that only went that far?

If an event had a 'game end' in it earlier, then when you load a saved game it might be loading the old version of that event, still stored in your saved game.

It is always a good idea to back up a little bit when a new patch comes out, so that any changes to the last spot you played through have a chance to load from the new files.

Try loading a saved game from January 9 or earlier and see if you still have problems?

Spiky Caterpillar

#185 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

If anyone has a save from January 9th or earlier that doesn't let you progress past the 10th, upload it to http://spikycaterpillar.com/savegame-upload.html (and post or PM me so I'll know it's there).

Riviera

#186 Post by Riviera » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Huh. Started a fresh new game (just cuz) and when I got to the second dungeon, I turned around and took one step and the game crashed.

Already uploaded the traceback.

Version 0.3.3

Out of curiosity, how is the rollback system supposed to work? I keep thinking it's supposed to bring you back before the error, so you can either keep playing or choose something else, but I've never had it do that. Whenever I click rollback, it completely crashes my game to the desktop.

I casted stoneshape at the walls in the monster dungeon, and it didn't take any magic points from me. Was this intended? It was technically a fail, but she did cast it.. ?

I casted fracture at the walls in the monster dungeon and got another crash. That traceback's been uploaded, too. Ummm. Well, she is mostly black-magic based.. so I was trying whatever option I could think of. :D

Also, random babblings:

Grabby got the New Hope reference? HA! Nerd! :lol:

I still haven't figured out a way to earn enough money to get those special cupcakes. :(

Also... holy crap those must be some vacations! I had 95 stress when thanksgiving vacation started and it went to zero! I was trying to see what would happen if I bottomed her out... sigh. Everything is working against me.

hanako
Site Admin

#187 Post by hanako » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Riviera wrote: Out of curiosity, how is the rollback system supposed to work? I keep thinking it's supposed to bring you back before the error, so you can either keep playing or choose something else, but I've never had it do that. Whenever I click rollback, it completely crashes my game to the desktop.
It's supposed to let you back up as if you'd rolled back normally if possible, but depending on HOW the game crashed it doesn't always work. Particularly deep crashes or crashes outside of normal dialog are fairly likely to produce a complete collapse. (Also, if you roll back and then go forward again to the same traceback, it tends to give up and just crash.)

If you choose 'roll back' after uploading the traceback, you'll need to continue rolling back manually to get past the upload status.

At least for me, if I go and get the fracture traceback you mentioned and immediately click roll back, it puts me back at the list of targets to cast my spell at.

Riviera

#188 Post by Riviera » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah, I just tried it for the fracture one and it did work there. It probably is only certain ones...

I have to say. I love these glasses.

8)

deb44

#189 Post by deb44 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:16 am

Also... holy crap those must be some vacations! I had 95 stress when thanksgiving vacation started and it went to zero! I was trying to see what would happen if I bottomed her out... sigh. Everything is working against me.[/quote]

you are right, i had my char at 100 stress and poof it's down to 0 :o :lol:

frederic09

#190 Post by frederic09 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 am

i have a little question. Is boys & girls separated when they are doing their magic classes ?

hanako
Site Admin

#191 Post by hanako » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 pm

No - there are a couple events early on where you can see boys in classes with you. (There aren't too many events during class because it's so VERY variable what classes at what level you might be taking at any time.)

frederic09

#192 Post by frederic09 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:34 pm

okay, then there's a little minor typo ;)

It's when Mrs Postdam says in french "Coucou mes chéries" in the beginning in one of her lessons.

She should say "Coucou mes chéris".

Well it's only because of the presence of the boys you have to remove the "e". If the classroom was full of girls then the sentance was right.

madeofwhin

#193 Post by madeofwhin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 am

Er, hey everybody! First off, I want to say the game is awesome.

Second, I tried to run the updater today. I entered the code, and it said the updater would start up, but it never did. I clicked the screen, and the game restarted, but there was no update. I tried this again several more times, and it didn't work. I'm on an Acer laptop, windows.

Spiky Caterpillar

#194 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks!

What versions of Magical Diary and Windows do you have? It'll show you the Magical Diary version(s) on the update screen.

Ellume

#195 Post by Ellume » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Out of curiosity, when you're in the restaurant with Grabiner is there a smart check if you ask about his book?