Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
phoenixgirl

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#316 Post by phoenixgirl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am

Well, I just meant that I'd love that idea of having high enough smarts where you can call Minnie out on trying to manipulate the election during the campaign speeches. I think that'd be totally cool because it really does look like she wants to manipulate things to make her look good and has no shame in bringing others down in order to do so. At least, that's how I see it. lol
Please help and support me here.

Runespoor

#317 Post by Runespoor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 pm

I finally found some time to play a bit on the new patch! Only on a Damien-mancing playthrough for now.

The new exam is lots of fun - I've done it on my blue playthrough, and blue's also my favorite kind of magic, so yeah: fun!

I love that the flirty dialogue with Ellen has MC checking that he's not making Ellen uncomfortable (flustered, yes, uncomfortable, no).

Damien continues to be The Actual Worst, so that's great. It's like a checklist of manipulation/abuse techniques, starting with the very first words designed to make MC feel guilty, and then it's off the Great Damien Number of being a poor misunderstood misfit, because that number works. (My Damien-mancing Horse Hall PC would have rolled her eyes a little at the violins but she'd have felt moved all the same.) His compliments are of course mostly him negging MC, just like with Mary Sue, because he is The Worst. He's lucky mindgames are like catnip to this player.

And this is heartbreaking: "I thought young Americans weren't allowed to have alcohol, but I'm tired to asking foolish questions, so I just smile at him." :cry: Damien! Is! The! Worst! I mean, if MC had said something, Damien would've played it like a way to show off, so at least not reacting spares MC that, but it's still very sobering to read.

Masteries: while the Mastery didn't make the game crash, it embedded placeholder text in white on top of the screen that didn't go away. It didn't appear in the dungeon, but it appeared again later.

fairfaxleasee

#318 Post by fairfaxleasee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 pm

I was just wondering if there was any possibility of having a New Game+ mode (so you could import your stats/spells to a new game).

hanako
Site Admin

#319 Post by hanako » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm

No, that wouldn't make any sense for the plot. If people want silly stats they can play with cheats (and the acknowledged awareness that things may turn out a bit funny if you blatantly cheated and threw impossible-to-get spells at early tests. :mrgreen: )

fairfaxleasee

#320 Post by fairfaxleasee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:42 pm

hanako wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm
No, that wouldn't make any sense for the plot. If people want silly stats they can play with cheats (and the acknowledged awareness that things may turn out a bit funny if you blatantly cheated and threw impossible-to-get spells at early tests. :mrgreen: )
I know the first thing I'm going to do in the full release... :wink:

perts

#321 Post by perts » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:06 pm

After having replayed Horse hall getting to crush damien was soooo satifying.

Minnie I like how she comes off as very controlling, I think it fits well with how the presidency seems to mean a lot (way too much) to her, and my theory is we'll find out she has pressure coming from her parents to be president like the MC, or is trying to impress someone, since she makes a really intense comment about it being very important for her to become president iirc. IA she is often unfair to to the MC but I kind of like that given the MC also has so many unfair advantages. It seems like the MC starts to resent her for it which makes for an interesting dynamic. Plus if my theory about her family is right MC and her are pretty similar but different in interesting ways - she's killing herself trying to live up to expectations and taking advantage of anything she can to do that where as he's just kind of reluctantly going along with his parents wishes and resents the special treatment he engenders, even though he uses it.

I'm enjoying how the whole meta plot with wildseeds vs magic born and how they're treated is being continued on from horse hall. I understand Potsdam's perspective that people have to find their own way and telling wildseeds this is how it is will just make magic society very homogenous, but Ellen is right that it's unfair to hold students to rules they aren't even told. Plus wildseeds miss out on a lot of fun stuff too just because they aren't told about it. Like all the clubs - Virginia (and Donald? I can't remember if he created Chorale or if it already existed) are able to create clubs because they know they're allowed to do that in advance, but a wildseed would have to wait until 2nd year unless they're able to come up with an idea for a club in like an hour. Really excited to see how Ellen's route explores this whether the MC being magicborn lets us find out the proper reason magic and technology aren't allowed to mix, or see Ellen convince the MC that scientific can just mean rigorous verifiable testing not test tubes and microchips or whatever.

Random, but I also like how the MC can have multiple personality labels rather being stuck with just one. And I love how scheming means the MC is shrewd but while he tries, isn't neccessarily smarter than everyone else or always coming out on top - like when he tries to get a favor from William but doesn't actually gain anything. It would be boring if scheming meant absolute puppetmaster who sees through everyones games if that makes sense. Like he's kinda paranoid and always questioning things/peoples motivations, and often his doubts are right (like he's right about Minnie and Damien having ulterior motives) but his second guessing is sometimes just paranoia and leads to him reading too much into things, and his attempts at manipulation don't always work out for the best like with William. It's just a small thing I noticed but something I enjoyed, makes the MC more nuanced and strikes a good balance between naivity and mary sue-ishness. And a cool contrast between horse hall's protagonist who accepted most things at face value because magic and everything was all new to her, vs wolf's MC who actually has his own already formed opinions on magic stuff.

Oh and I just did a playthrough where Manuel becomes treasurer. I love that you included that as a option, I was always voting for him even when he couldn't win cause stuff Jacob! Only one spoiled rich kid allowed and that's the me/the MC lol. I just noticed the ears on his sprite move when he's talking which is such an adorable detail.

phoenixgirl

#322 Post by phoenixgirl » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 pm

:o I have to ask but how can you make Manuel become treasurer? Jacob seems to win every time.
Please help and support me here.

touchandgo

#323 Post by touchandgo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:59 am

phoenixgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 pm
:o I have to ask but how can you make Manuel become treasurer? Jacob seems to win every time.
The only time Jacob has won in my game was when I did the co-presidency. Every other time I've voted for Manuel and he's one, so it might just be that?

hanako
Site Admin

#324 Post by hanako » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:24 am

Jacob always wins if you're co-president because he's needed for the Minnie plotline.

Savanime

#325 Post by Savanime » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Just got my backer survey, so I figured I post one last push for my two favorite side-romance options!

100% voting for Jacob and Balthasar, both for the pure hilarity that a side route with them will bring. Jacob is *the* rich kid in school, and he acts like it too. He's egotistical, but he does seems to have a soft side for Minnie. A side route with him means a second reason to join the student council. It also means that you can tell Kyo that, no, neither you nor Jacob is after Minnie, cause you're dating each other! And at the end of the year, he might figure out who you really are and it'll wipe that dumb smirk off his face. Really, I just want to challenge him and have a non-Minnie reason for going after the presidency. Voting for Balthasar is a no brainer for me. I mean, he likes plants..... He really likes plants.

MegaZeroX

#326 Post by MegaZeroX » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:55 am

I voted as I posted I would before. Thanks for using approval voting! Hopefully I'm not the only person who wanted to vote for more than 2 characters.

hanako
Site Admin

#327 Post by hanako » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:42 am

Actually Kickstarter only seemed to have the options of 'choose one' or 'choose as many as you like' :P

Emma E.

A tragic missed opportunity

#328 Post by Emma E. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 pm

This happens in the study session before the first exam, so I feel it is early enough in the game that it would not be necessary to mark any of this as a spoiler.

When Professor Grabiner asks your Gary Stu, "What color of magic might you use to send a message to a fellow classmate?" the player is given the options of how to answer, and unlike Horse Hall, Grabiner also gives you a chance to explain yourself. (P.S. Ellen's idea was just too in character. I love how she wanted to be creative with the scientific knowledge of the world she already has. And she's quickly chastised for it, which is both good continuity and still NOT FAIR :x )

Anyways, here is what happens if you pick Red:

Prof G: Explain.
Gary Stu: I could whisper into the wind and let it carry my words?
Prof G: Not particularly effective.

And here is how it SHOULD have happened:

Prof G: Explain.
Gary Stu: It would send a message.

Ok, ok, I know this is a pointless thread. In fact, since our Wolf Protag is trying to keep a low profile, that wouldn't even be in character. However, I was disappointed to not have gotten a dark one-liner in the vein of Princess Elodie's, "I decline."

hanako
Site Admin

#329 Post by hanako » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 pm

haha :) (Sorry to merge but I'm trying to limit the number of threads at the moment because much of the game is still subject to change.)

Emma E.

#330 Post by Emma E. » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 am

Me? Spend too long with my below par editing skills to make it happen? It's more likely than you think.

The link is just to an image; I think it's big enough to be considered rude to just put it in thread