Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#256 Post by hanako » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Yeah, I'm not surprised if there are a few problems with Luke considering the sweeping changes we did to him. So yes, if you encounter bugs with his sprite, please try to click the little Crash button in the lower-left corner if you see it, that will help us find the missing spots.

(Because he got a new pose all the references to him in code had to be changed.)

cheshjabber

#257 Post by cheshjabber » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Just met the librarian for the first time and omigosh I ADORE her design!! I meant to say this before but MAD PROPS to the sprite artist, all the sprites are so amazing!! <3
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

Runespoor

#258 Post by Runespoor » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Okay, I did a quick-ish first run-through of the new version.

Omg, I've just met the librarian, and her design is a-ma-zing, and the art is absolutely gorgeous as well. Both kickstarter teachers look super cool and I so look forward to seeing more of them, I'm so excited!

I also approve of William's new sprite. Not that the previous one was anything less than great, but now he looks younger, and that's good!

I think this is a new thing in the dialogue, but I might be wrong: when a Scheming MC tells Minnie he can't promise he'll vote for her, because "in [his] country, it's not allowed to publically discuss who you'll vote for" (which, btw: hello dystopia!!!!), and then she emphasizes "tradition" when giving him a Helping Hand, MC's reaction comes across as a bit strange. He's the one who mentioned traditions first, why is he so concerned she might be onto him all of a sudden? She might just be trying to find common ground, or to tell him not to dismiss Iris Academy traditions out of hand.

Oh, something that keep bothering me but I always forget to mention: I don't like how the conversation with William after PC follows the footsteps at night and is attacked goes. When it starts, you think you're going to ask William for info about why would someone run past Wolf Hall, it's not framed as a safety thing, but then you find yourself making a big thing out of "being attacked" (after following someone who wasn't aggressive, so that's another reason I don't like the way PC handles this conversation). It's a bit of a bait-and-switch, especially because you can't drop the topic before it turns into complaints about the attack. I'd like if there was a choice to stop the conversation before it went there, it's a little annoying to find PC complaining about something I didn't intend to without being forewarned he's going to make an issue out of it.

DAMIEN-RELATED STUFF:
Re: Dumping Damien. It is a little bit early in the year to be gloating, but damn, that felt good. "I don't want anything to with you. I never did." "I'm saying: I win. You lose." WE STAN AN ICON.

Re: Refusing. "Which is a pity, because I can't ask him what 'playing up to' means". PC's got priorities and I for one stand with him! Also a priceless demonstration of how little PC cares about Damien Ramsey. WE STAN.

I was a little surprised that Damien wasn't slamming the "oh but if you don't want it to be a date I wouldn't want to pressure you" button for all he's worth, but I guess his approach of Wolf!PC isn't shrouded in pretending everything's dandy and platonic the way he was toying with Horse!PC. So it makes sense he'd play the guilt-tripping card the way he does.

I wish we could buy a book of poetry even if PC got a poem another way (in the case of this playthrough, got it from Ms Darden) XD I'm the worried kind, if it were me I'd like to be able to make comparisons before picking one to read at the club! Maybe we could pick between themes, or form/type of poem, something like that? It would be a neat detail to be able to make a decision.

Re: William asking about Damien and PC: "I'm going to crush him." :D :D :D :D :D :D :D WE! STAN!!!!! Okay, it is a bit too strong for Wolf!PC, probably, who hasn't had Horse!PC's experience or the player's, BUT IT IS SO CATHARTIC! [ETA: also, man I can't wait to romance-actually-romance-for-real Damien while picking this option? Just. The development, the twist, the drama, the "no i never meant for that to happen!" on both sides!!!!] :D :D Also I yelled at William's reaction. Well, the first part. I wanted to throw my arms in the air at the second. "That's what Angela did." Yeah well maybe Angela's allowed to have the right idea every once in a while!! Good on her!!!!!
adsmljlsdcklk
azkladnzlh!!!!!!!!
A
TIMELINE
WE HAVE A TIMELINE!1eleventyone

omg Hanako I'm so happy I could cry. We finally know what went before what. I totally agree with William's analysis of Angela's motives, btw - which makes me wonder if that's really the end of it!
"I never learn, do I?" XD T_____________T i am so sorry about your type, William. (also suddenly so motivated to get this version of PC with William.)
I love everything this conversation chooses to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I don't know it's new or if I just never did this convo as a flirt, but "I know he's a flirt, but so am I" is really nice. The convo about "I like him" is very nice, too - it's rose-colored, but realistically so.

I also find it interesting, now, that William's most positive about the relationship if you say Damien's "pretty, but shallow" - "this isn't a serious relationship for either of us". It's the only branch of the convo, as far as I can see, where William looks reassured (despite his "looking uncomfortable", which, again, so interesting. Guilt? or something more?). And he also says this: "Well, if it works out for both of you, then I guess I should wish you luck." William suddenly treating the Damien-PC thing as a legitimate relationship, if a shallow one. I think it might because PC's previous dismissal of Damien makes William think PC himself is too shallow to fall for Damien at all? Plus said dismissal of Damien's charms must not be very pleasant to hear, when you're one of his victims - like PC was saying "I don't see how anyone could be fooled enough to fall in love with him". And maybe William's relieved, too, because if PC's too shallow to fall for Damien, but Damien's interested anyhow, it means no-one gets hurts. Neither an "innocent fresman girl", nor PC... nor even Damien.
Food for thought, is all I'm saying.

EXAMS:
I've run into a bug during the second exam: I was casting Farsight to see what was behind the two gas cases, and as I was Farsighting I cast Light, and the game froze on this message: "You cas Farsight. / The Gas attacks unnamed unit. / You takes 20 damage."

Third exam, a related problem: can we no longer cast Light while we're casting Farsight to light the way over the holes? I don't remember another way to light the way ahead, but maybe I forgot. Which means I had to Teleport myself into the dark and pray I wasn't falling into a hole...

EDIT: also there's a bug when I attempt to master Blue Magic. I uploaded it, so there's that.

This was a also my first playthrough where I managed to keep two adjectives active! Usually I lose all but one by the time the Dark Dance is announced at the latest. (Usually I retain either flirty or scheming; I've never managed to keep "sporty" for more than shortly after the Clubs meeting) So wooohoooo me! \o/

dmboogie

#259 Post by dmboogie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:51 pm

don't have much time to check stuff out sadly but i really appreciate the new Ellen play dialogue; just having that bit of emotional transition there makes things feel a lot more natural imo

hanako
Site Admin

#260 Post by hanako » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 pm

You are not supposed to be able to cast other spells during Farsight, if that ever worked it was a bug (which I thought we'd fixed because I warned Spiky people would try it)

Generally, anything that relies on player reflexes, like the old 'if you jam run really fast the Hodag square fails to load properly and you can squeak by' thing in HH, is a bug. Also, if it were that easy to cast spells remotely, you wouldn't need all the combination tele-spells! TeleLumen is an interesting idea, but adding it as an upper-level spell would throw off the balance of color spells.

As for telling what's on the other side of the hole, there is a clue in the dungeon graphics but this may not be immediately obvious - the engine is set up so that if a hole is two cells wide, there's no floor divider between the cells, so since you can see the other side of the shaft, you know there should be solid floor behind it. (Well, unless it's an illusion.) However, I don't think the current pre-exam-3 practice dungeon includes any big holes at the moment, so people might not know that.

cheshjabber

#261 Post by cheshjabber » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:50 pm

During exam 3, after using spirit echoes to activate the rune, I got this text window:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

MillaMaxwell

#262 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:17 pm

I love the librarian's design and the fact that she utilizes a different magic system! I also like the new dialogue options.

I noticed one odd thing in the second exam though. I used Boost Strength to get through the gas and then healed myself immediately after, but I think the buff wore off at the same time the healing occurred and so I lost more HP than I gained and ended up with negative HP. I failed the exam and then Grabiner screamed at me for "intentionally" hurting myself. This was super confusing because the buff wearing off, healing, and dying all happened on the same turn in the same dialogue box just as the scene transition occurs due to exam failure. From a player standpoint, it looks like I died because of healing myself and then get yelled at for self harm, which is literally the opposite of what I was trying to do. I tried the same strategy on another playthrough where I spent a lot of time in the gym and thus had the HP to survive, so I was able to figure out what happened, but wow was that confusing in the meantime...

touchandgo

#263 Post by touchandgo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:33 am

MillaMaxwell wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:17 pm
I love the librarian's design and the fact that she utilizes a different magic system! I also like the new dialogue options.

I noticed one odd thing in the second exam though. I used Boost Strength to get through the gas and then healed myself immediately after, but I think the buff wore off at the same time the healing occurred and so I lost more HP than I gained and ended up with negative HP. I failed the exam and then Grabiner screamed at me for "intentionally" hurting myself. This was super confusing because the buff wearing off, healing, and dying all happened on the same turn in the same dialogue box just as the scene transition occurs due to exam failure. From a player standpoint, it looks like I died because of healing myself and then get yelled at for self harm, which is literally the opposite of what I was trying to do. I tried the same strategy on another playthrough where I spent a lot of time in the gym and thus had the HP to survive, so I was able to figure out what happened, but wow was that confusing in the meantime...
Yes, I had the same issue where the gas was hurting me after I had left the gas tile when I was trying to heal myself. Just boost strength and walking right to the stairs without bothering to heal let me exit though, and my HP was the base amount. I assumed that the gas had a lingering effect, so that even though I wasn't touching/breathing it in anymore, it was still on my skin or whatever and that was hurting me.

phoenixgirl

#264 Post by phoenixgirl » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:39 am

Ok, I started a new playthrough and this time, I decided to go for Minnie. I do kind of understand the criticisms regarding her. Now, if she is supposed to be portrayed the way I'm interpreting her, then that's fine. I'll just put this in spoiler text:

It kind of sucks that there's no way to beat Minnie as president. I know that there were some people who were disappointed that in Horse Hall, you couldn't win the president position. You could run for it, but there's no way to win. Now, I wouldn't have an issue being co-president with Minnie if she didn't come off as sycophantic and manipulative. She downright attacks the MC during the campaign speeches (which I find to be dirty) if you refuse to agree to be co-president with her. The MC makes a valid point that no matter who wins, it should be based on what the people think. Also, I'd think that if you pull out all the stops, not sparing any expense, you should win over Minnie. Ok, I could have even gotten over that if this part afterwards didn't annoy me so much.

When Minnie suggests to Potsdam about teaching wildseeds about things that magic-born wizards and witches would know and Potsdam refuses (which, by the way, I think Potsdam has a perfectly valid point to turn down Minnie's idea although I can understand Minnie's point of view, too), she just becomes a spoiled child who's upset that she doesn't get her way. I haven't played past that point, so maybe Minnie might change but if this is how she's going to be, I'm so going to skip playing her path when the full version comes out, unless there's an achievement and there's absolutely no choice but to play her path. lol

Also, is it just me or are Snake girls way cooler than Butterfly girls? I mean, geez, Minnie and Angela, I'm not getting a very good impression of Butterfly Hall. Blaise is the only one I even like. XP
Please help and support me here.

hanako
Site Admin

#265 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 am

I've set up separate threads for discussing exam solutions, which should make it easier for people who are stuck to find help without having to go through this whole long thread. :)

Please don't post bugs in those threads though as bugs should (hopefully!) be changed in upcoming patches and therefore would not be useful help for those threads.

cheshjabber

#266 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:31 am

phoenixgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:39 am
Ok, I started a new playthrough and this time, I decided to go for Minnie. I do kind of understand the criticisms regarding her. Now, if she is supposed to be portrayed the way I'm interpreting her, then that's fine. I'll just put this in spoiler text:

It kind of sucks that there's no way to beat Minnie as president. I know that there were some people who were disappointed that in Horse Hall, you couldn't win the president position. You could run for it, but there's no way to win. Now, I wouldn't have an issue being co-president with Minnie if she didn't come off as sycophantic and manipulative. She downright attacks the MC during the campaign speeches (which I find to be dirty) if you refuse to agree to be co-president with her. The MC makes a valid point that no matter who wins, it should be based on what the people think. Also, I'd think that if you pull out all the stops, not sparing any expense, you should win over Minnie. Ok, I could have even gotten over that if this part afterwards didn't annoy me so much.

When Minnie suggests to Potsdam about teaching wildseeds about things that magic-born wizards and witches would know and Potsdam refuses (which, by the way, I think Potsdam has a perfectly valid point to turn down Minnie's idea although I can understand Minnie's point of view, too), she just becomes a spoiled child who's upset that she doesn't get her way. I haven't played past that point, so maybe Minnie might change but if this is how she's going to be, I'm so going to skip playing her path when the full version comes out, unless there's an achievement and there's absolutely no choice but to play her path. lol

Also, is it just me or are Snake girls way cooler than Butterfly girls? I mean, geez, Minnie and Angela, I'm not getting a very good impression of Butterfly Hall. Blaise is the only one I even like. XP
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Minnie! :lol: I also feel like her supposed eagerness to help wildseeds comes off as a little disingenuous/rings false, because in Horse Hall when the PC is a wildseed, you don't even see/meet Minnie until the campaign, when her becoming president is already treated as a foregone conclusion by Virginia. I feel like Minnie's perspective is more valid than Potsdam's (especially given the point Ellen makes later about both deliberately keeping wildseeds in the dark and punishing them for it), but it just doesn't feel genuine coming from a character who in Horse Hall at one point took advantage of a wildseed's struggles to protect her own reputation, and overall just appeared to be really oblivious to why that situation might be seriously upsetting for a wildseed (or any of her peers, honestly, but especially a wildseed who wouldn't have had the cultural upbringing to understand why that situation had to go that way). I suppose there must be plot-related reasons why Minnie must be president? :lol: (Or why a Butterfly is the only one who can be president, if a future ButterflyPC is able to become sole president when the Horse and Wolf weren't.)

I don't know if I'd say that about Snake vs Butterfly girls, though! I adore Blaise, and I really like Pastel too!! Meanwhile, while I love Barbara and like Raven, Suki is definitely... not a type of character I generally enjoy, lol. So for me, at least, it balances out. :lol: (I wouldn't hold Angela against the Butterflies as a whole, tho, lmao.)

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

hanako
Site Admin

#267 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am

For my own sanity I am stepping over my usual moderator bounds and editing your past message slightly to mark a section as spoilers.

cheshjabber

#268 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:53 am

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am
For my own sanity I am stepping over my usual moderator bounds and editing your past message slightly to mark a section as spoilers.
Whoops, sorry about that! I really should reread my posts more closely before submitting, especially first thing in the morning. :lol:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

phoenixgirl

#269 Post by phoenixgirl » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:46 pm

Heh, I forgot about Pastel. Ok, she's totally cool. :wink:
Please help and support me here.

waff1ez

#270 Post by waff1ez » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Nice! Pastel I was hoping would get in... Now I only want Corrina I'm pretty indifferent to the rest of the characters. Balthasar I'm not a fan of I'm predicting him to win as kinda a joke... I'm not fond of him getting in. I really don't like Angela. She's really manipulative.