Magical Diary: Wolf Hall (Early development thread)

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Magical Diary: Wolf Hall (Early development thread)

#1 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Pulling up a new thread to talk about how development is going!

And leaving this top post mostly blank because I might edit it later to put in an overall introduction.

For now, the tl;dr version: freshman year, male protagonist, NOT a wildseed. It's the same year as in Horse Hall, so some events will be the same, but the change in protagonist will set a lot of other balls rolling in very different directions.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Magical Diary: Wolf Hall

#2 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm

And here I'm going to talk a bit about some things that might happen in the game, so spoilering.

For plot reasons having to do with his backstory and motivations as written, there is basically no way WolfPC would pull the whole "I'm outta here" business with Initiation. He just wouldn't, it makes no sense for his character, and unlike HorsePC he doesn't have a senior who's intentionally trying to make the whole thing creepier. However, I know the entire Initiation subplot is upsetting for some players. For people who are bothered by it, would you be okay with playing through it if:
- the character has an opportunity to criticise the practice afterwards?
- some of the individual activity parts within Initiation are optional, so you aren't required to agree to anything like the love letter?
- you can stonewall the meanest senior (Angela of course!) and refuse to obey her specific, petty orders, even though you go along with initiation in general?

I am interested in opinions on this topic. I do not guarantee that it will work out exactly like anyone wants, but I am exploring possibilities. Remember, it'll be a long time before the story is final so many things may shift.

phoenixgirl

#3 Post by phoenixgirl » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm

I'm totally cool if the male MC can make some criticisms about initiation as well as refuse any order that is on the extreme side. I've never been one to conform so I never took part in traditions like initiation. I prefer marching to the beat of my own drummer. :wink:
Please help and support me here.

EenPersoon

#4 Post by EenPersoon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 am

Not sure if making criticism would really make a difference, because Initiation is tradition right? And since witches and wizards really value their traditions, I don't think his criticisms would be taken seriously. I do think that being able refuse petty orders from Angela would a fun option.

FantasyFan

#5 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 pm

I didn't read the spoiler text, but I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!

MillaMaxwell

#6 Post by MillaMaxwell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 pm

I really like the idea of specifically ignoring Angela when she's being intentionally awful. I think having options to refuse anything really weird would also help... Basically, as long as WolfPC isn't totally passive and doesn't just blandly approve of the whole Initiation process regardless of problems, I think it would be fine with me. I get uncomfortable when a game character is really passive about bad stuff, but if you're given the option to disagree or "fight back" in any way, even if you're not outright rejecting everything, I'm happy.

pod95

#7 Post by pod95 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I definitely think that objecting extreme things and arguing would make sense, especially because pc is not a wild seed, therefore they would probably be more familiar with the magical universe and have a bit more confidence standing up for themself. Either way really excited for this game and glad that it is still being worked on XD.

babyblue

#8 Post by babyblue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:06 am

I won't spoil, but I'm totally okay with whatever you want to do regarding what you said. It's not a major issue for me.

Since this topic is here and fresh and stuff, I do want to ask one question (maybe I'm the lost one, but humour me, please?).
Why a male protagonist and why not a sequel to our game?
Just wondering, really. Thanks <3

Super excited for the game.

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 am

It was always intended to do other games for other halls, it's not possible to do the kind of followup to horse hall that many people want because of many reasons including art changes and the fact that several storylines people want followups to would go in VERY different directions, see many other threads on this topic and please don't ask any more about that part. :)

(Not trying to yell at you there! Just - please, don't.)

As for why Wolf Hall rather than Butterfly Hall, I had wanted the series to be welcoming to everyone and let everyone, as much as possible, create the characters they want. Especially if at some point there is a more dungeon-crawl spinoff where you can bring your own characters from previous games. There was a brief moment back in the conception of the game where I thought I could fit all six halls into the first game ... that was obviously NOT workable. Too much content for me to write at once on my own.

Obviously Horse Hall has restrictions, you are required to be a particular kind of girl from a specific place who is into sports and not singing, and WolfPC will have his own kinds of restrictions about what sort of guy he is, but it still opens up a bigger range for other players and types of expression. While I know not everyone's going to be keen on a male protagonist, there are at least the options of BxB routes and getting some different viewpoints on Damien and Grabiner that I hope might tempt a few to follow along.

pod95

#10 Post by pod95 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 am

May sound like a silly question and I apologise if so. Other characters in the magical diary series have mixtures of colours in their hair such as potsdam in the original with her orange with pinky bits and Suki in the newer design you revealed with her white and green.Would it be possible for PC to have some multi-coloured options in the character creation, even if it was just a couple of presets? If so that would be cool and if not I understand that it might be difficult to design.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Post by hanako » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Hmm.

In the first game (as some people who poked around in the directories know) the custom characters were done by having all the PC hair originally stored in one color, shades of red, and then we applied a bunch of transformations to that within the engine. Hue/Saturation/Lightness kinds of things. I attempted lots and lots of combinations and then kept the ones that came out looking okay as the available presets. This is why the range of what colors are and aren't available might look a little strange sometimes. Some colors just didn't work right as transformations from red.

For the character creator in this game, the artist has actually hand-designed the hair colors so that each color has a flattering set of base/highlight/shadow shades. They're all stored as separate images, not as transformations. There are 13 color sets right now - black, blond, medium blue, medium brown, chestnut brown, medium green, lavender, mint, orange, platinum blond, red, turquoise, and white. Since we don't have the same need to worry about filesize anymore (the internet and game buyers have moved on a long way!) I can throw in extra color sets whenever I feel like, and there's no technical reason why they'd have to be single-hue. Multi-color might not work very well on all hairstyles, though, and I'm not sure if it would be a problem in the character creator if some color sets only existed for some hairstyles.

It's a valid idea but I don't want to spend a lot of time messing with it right now, I derail my attention from writing to play with art too much as it is. Keep it in mind and if it doesn't show up in the first testable versions, ask me again about it later? :)

(Suki's hair isn't white and green though, it's just white, she's wearing green accessories. Barbara is the one with multicolored hair - black/brown shading to red.)

pod95

#12 Post by pod95 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Haha fair enough. I think we can all agree at this stage we care more about the story and release of the game than just appearance based things. Replaying Horse Hall now just to scratch my Magical Diary itch. Thank you for responding!

babyblue

#13 Post by babyblue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Thank you for the answer, Hanako. I will not ask anymore, don't worry. But yeah, I think I see how a sequel to Horse Hall would be a lot of work to make (SPECIALLY regarding Damien's romance path) although I hope that ONE DAY we get one. WHO KNOWS, OKAY??? :D I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! \O/

The art style change wouldn't really bug me, to be honest. If it's quality art, it's good enough for me (and I have played a lot of other Otome Games in which the art style changed with time and all, so yeah!).

And yeah, regarding the male protagonist change, it's a fair point. It's inclusive and it's a change in perspective for the player, I guess, but to be honest, I don't know if I personally will buy the game. From the screenshot you posted on Tumblr, I can see the game looks AMAZING already (the character design made me cry, it's so PRETTY), but I've always had issues connecting with male protagonists, specially in visual novels/otome games/dating sims in general.

However, Magical Diary is certainly one of my favorite games EVER, and I'm thankful I got to play it. I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one and see what are people's general thoughts on it when it comes out. I know you are all doing a wonderful job. :wink:

babyblue

#14 Post by babyblue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Oh, another quick question!

You said that this game is freshman year, right? So, basically, the same year that our dear Mary Sue went through her entire adventure. xD
My question is: Does Mary Sue exist? Or would this be like an alternative reality in which Mary Sue is NOT there?

Winterlis

#15 Post by Winterlis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:30 am

I'm really looking forward to this game!! I loved Horse Hall :D

My question has to do with potential future games. Would there ever be a hall for non-binary characters and would we ever see a game around such a character?