Black Closet - Alpha Testing

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
zeru57

Re: Black Closet - Alpha Testing / Discount Copies

#211 Post by zeru57 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm

hanako wrote: There are a number of cases that won't close until the next day - it usually has to do with slightly different storylines and (in my headspace) an off-screen action taking place. Like, when you get the good student to agree to study with the bad student, the case doesn't close until the next morning because her agreement doesn't mean it's actually happened yet.... after your action, those characters would go and meet up, and you'd get the final results the next day.

And in those cases the training points wouldn't be available yet.
I agree with this logic. However, I still think the Secret Society should close out immediately once they find out it's a Poetry Club. To me it's the same thing as when they see the painting and it's fine in "But is it Art?"

I just did another play through. First time I've beaten the game on the "High Stakes" setting. I barely solved the steam tunnels case in time.

hanako
Site Admin

#212 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:48 pm

IIRC my headlogic for that was that if someone claims that their secret club is a poetry club, they might be lying, so you need to go confirm that offscreen. (There's always the possibility of a case being added where they really ARE lying about it!)

But if you find the secret club meeting and see with your own eyes that it's really just a poetry club, then it does close instantly instead of waiting for the next day. (At least, it's supposed to, but I'm not sure how many people actually manage to find the club's location and spy on the meeting, especially since just asking closes the case faster than waiting for a meeting does.)

I can possibly be talked out of it, I'm just explaining how/why it currently works :)

And congratulations for winning on the higher difficulty! We don't currently have an achievement for that because the difficulty can be swapped in mid-game. There may at some point be a "start in hard mode" option to set the game to hard when you begin and keep a variable to keep track of whether you stayed that way all the way through.

zeru57

#213 Post by zeru57 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:59 pm

hanako wrote:IIRC my headlogic for that was that if someone claims that their secret club is a poetry club, they might be lying, so you need to go confirm that offscreen. (There's always the possibility of a case being added where they really ARE lying about it!)

But if you find the secret club meeting and see with your own eyes that it's really just a poetry club, then it does close instantly instead of waiting for the next day. (At least, it's supposed to, but I'm not sure how many people actually manage to find the club's location and spy on the meeting, especially since just asking closes the case faster than waiting for a meeting does.)

I can possibly be talked out of it, I'm just explaining how/why it currently works :)
I can see that. I don't remember the dialog when the case closes - I'll look for it.
And congratulations for winning on the higher difficulty! We don't currently have an achievement for that because the difficulty can be swapped in mid-game. There may at some point be a "start in hard mode" option to set the game to hard when you begin and keep a variable to keep track of whether you stayed that way all the way through.
Thanks!

Lots of points at the game were just about surviving. Rowan was the mole which made the first two months extremely difficult to get through from a karma standpoint. Fortunately, I didn't get many girls/rooms with unwindable stats to start out. I didn't have any observation items so I kept failing the steam tunnel test after I found the unlocked door and had to push Rowan's stats into the stratosphere.

Somehow, I ended up solving 94% of the cases, although i was at something like 68 Karma and 60 Reputation at the end. That wasn't what I expected at the beginning!

Franka

#214 Post by Franka » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:58 pm

hanako wrote:But if you find the secret club meeting and see with your own eyes that it's really just a poetry club, then it does close instantly instead of waiting for the next day. (At least, it's supposed to, but I'm not sure how many people actually manage to find the club's location and spy on the meeting, especially since just asking closes the case faster than waiting for a meeting does.)
I've found the meeting, because I usually go straight to Stalk on Secret Society, but then I Search the location instead of Stake Out, and that doesn't close the case outright.
zeru57 wrote:Somehow, I ended up solving 94% of the cases, although i was at something like 68 Karma and 60 Reputation at the end. That wasn't what I expected at the beginning!
You did much better than me, I had 9 reputation left the first time I played High Stakes. Of course, that was also the first time I completed the game...
Last edited by Franka on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanako
Site Admin

#215 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Search doesn't see the actual meeting either iirc, you just find a clue. Guard and Stake Out, on the night when the meeting actually takes place, will close it.

Franka

#216 Post by Franka » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:02 pm

hanako wrote:Search doesn't see the actual meeting either iirc, you just find a clue. Guard and Stake Out, on the night when the meeting actually takes place, will close it.
Yep, it was one of the things I wanted to try out in my "Try things in cases you don't usually try" playthrough. Then I got sidetracked.

Cherie0

#217 Post by Cherie0 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:42 am

I've gotten around to the finish of one storyline route. Fun game overall, with only one major crash during the latter part of the game. Which caused me to have to reload a save from a previous week, as the current week's save was corrupted.

My only wish, is the ability to take your romance beyond graduation. Granted I've only played Althea's romance route. But it seems like the romance came to a halt prematurely after you finished your time at school. I know the aftermath CGs are not in yet, but I don't see any text mention about you and your love interest together. Perhaps it's a dose of realism in a sense. :)

hanako
Site Admin

#218 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Hopefully you uploaded whatever your crash was? :)

Althea's path has multiple possible epilogues - I'm not sure which one you got, but how much you see each other after graduation can change.

The absolute top score romantic epilogue suggests that she and Elsa are still meeting up over the summers, but no matter what you are going to different universities and you're not going to be seeing each other that much. Graduation is the impending doom that cannot be avoided, alas.

I'm not currently planning aftermath CGs except for the special easter egg one, though - the missing graphics at this point are the Harvest Queen pictures, so every pairing gets to look dramatic together in pretty costumes.

Cherie0

#219 Post by Cherie0 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 pm

I got the one where Althea had a new girlfriend who was into voodoo. Looks like mine wasn't the version with a good romance score. :cry: :lol:

zeru57

#220 Post by zeru57 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 am

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but using the "software" video driver turns everything blue on my Mac. If I use auto it is fine.

I accidentally switched and was quite puzzled for a while.

Spiky Caterpillar

#221 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:35 am

zeru57 wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or not, but using the "software" video driver turns everything blue on my Mac. If I use auto it is fine.

I accidentally switched and was quite puzzled for a while.
Known bug in the engine, but it's a little too deep for me to fix and the hardware driver works on all Macs I've seen. If anyone ever finds a Mac where auto picks the software renderer I want to know, though.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.4 changelog

#222 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:35 am

User-visible changes between 0.8.28 and 0.9.4:

* Crash in the epilogue (when you unlock that last CG in the gallery) fixed.
* 'Win with X minions' checklist items only unlock if you win with exactly X.
* Fix for crash loading a save that contained a checklist notification.
* Fix for a load warning.
* Should no longer crash loading a save that contains a standard Ren'Py notify screen.
* Festival queen CGs added.
* CG album added. You'll need to play through the parts where CGs are unlocked to actually unlock them in the album.
* Extras screen.
* Soundtrack screen.
* Credits should be complete (with the addition of the credit for our CG artist, sarana)

Franka

#223 Post by Franka » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:48 am

Sooo..... about that final CG/achievement.... any hints?

Thaïs queen CG is definitely my favorite btw.

hanako
Site Admin

#224 Post by hanako » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Hint 1 - To hit on Talmage, you need to have first completely muffed up any relationship with your Queen.

Hint 2 - The key moment is very late in the game.

Franka

#225 Post by Franka » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I take it losing your Queen to the Red Masks is not a way to go?