Sequel

Rule the world - or die trying!
GSN22

Sequel

#1 Post by GSN22 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:32 pm

I'd love to see a sequel to this game, an Empire-building one kind of like Civilization or Europa Universalis. And maybe allow you to "import" your old quest.

Or, as it'd be easier to implement, select options.... like say, "Printing Press" means technology increases 50% faster for 50 years for all nations, except for the main one where it increases 100% faster. 50 years after, all nations have the Printing Press bonus. If your main country doesn't have it, then 50 years from now a random country will develop it.

Or thing like making the "Haunted Forest" insanely difficult to clear out, but be full of treasure.

The world was pretty vast and it seems like it'd work well as a fantasy empire-building game.

Sachiko

#2 Post by Sachiko » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 am

Not sure if other players of this game would be okay with that. This game is, by and large, a visual novel and a raising simulator, making a strategy game would be a very Unexpected Gameplay Change, and those do not suit well most of the time unless the change is really really awesome.
Vice corrects better than virtue. Suffer a vicious person and you will fear vice. Suffer a virtuous one and you will hate virtue itself - Tony Duvert.

Karlminion

#3 Post by Karlminion » Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 am

A sequel would be pretty sweet. Or at least a spiritual successor of sorts!

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Tue May 14, 2013 1:50 pm

We're joking around vaguely about the possibility of a similar game in which you are a young space empress in Flash Gordon style, but right now it's just a "wouldn't it be funny if" as we have two games in the queue already before we can do anything else. :)

Spede

#5 Post by Spede » Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 am

I had to register just to say this, but I think that is the most brilliant idea I've seen all year. I really liked Long Live the Queen and for a sequel to take place in one of my most favourite sub-genres would be astounding.

I was extremely impressed by Long Live the Queen. The amount of different storypaths and the dynamicity of it all was something I'd never seen before. An intricate spiderweb of meaningful differences and options, it must have been a very tough process to make it work like it does. Juggling a hundred plot-threads and weaving them around so it makes sense regardless of which ones are picked, and at that quality too. Nothing would please me more than a sequel of the same standards. :)

Yuki

Re: Sequel

#6 Post by Yuki » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 am

You're talking about a radically different type of game that would need to be made from scratch. It'd probably be much easier to create a mod for EU or Civ that did the same thing.

GSN22

#7 Post by GSN22 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:38 pm

I have to say, the game is incredibly fun- dealing with all the nobles, effecting the destiny of the kingdom, building up her stats.

The game does kind of leave you with a sense of wanting, wanting to see what happens next and wanting to effect the future of the kingdom, and maybe send out explorers.

I don't mean making a clone of EU3 or Civilization but, maybe something different where you have to manage nobles, raising your children, the economy, trade, etc. Ignoring your children but doing a great job running the kingdom would means the next heir has horrible stats, that kind of thing. The closest I could think would be Crusader Kings 2 mixed with some Europa.

One thing I might recommend is having things play out on a monthly/weekly basis rather than daily basis like in EU, as that tends to get a bit maddening in terms of micromanagement.

A sequel similar to the first (but allowing you to import your old stats/endings, or if that's too complicated simply let you select them yourself within reason- ie, no 100s in everything) would also be interesting, but I'm not sure how one would write out all the variables.

A sequel could also lend itself to expansion packs which improve upon the original game. (like say, one relating to colonization, one dealing more with Lumen, etc.)

GSN22

#8 Post by GSN22 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:35 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/14/crusa ... continent/

One last thing about a sequel, it could be possible to license one of the Paradox engines (from the new EU4 game, or Crusader Kings 2- more likely CK2, since this game is more about nobility endlessly quarelling and manipulating) to make it.

The advantage of that (aside from not having to build an engine from scratch) could be to attract some Paradox players to the series, and the ability to import endings/final character stats (or allow a more limited but less rewarding "build your start" for those who haven't won the game and can import it) would be interesting.

Pretty much every ending (athletics means more peasant support, intrigue means maxed out spycraft) seems to have applicable bonuses to the game.

The most complicated thing (aside from creating countries and provinces, and a fictional world that might eventually be explorable) would have to be implementing Lumens and their abilities. While it is true they're rare, they tend to be somewhat over-powered and overly-valuable (as Togami demonstrates) so it'd be hard to portray their value without making them too powerful. (ie, able to annihilate every army in existence) Not to mention that just having at least 3 unite was enough to summon a monster in the first game. The solution would probably be some level of Lumen-distribution across much of the world to some degree.

The small army size in LltQ also seems to indicate that soldiers are much more professional and better-equipped, whereas the EU series usually rewards you more for sending out massive-sized hordes. The first fight in the game where a maxed-out Elodie is twice as effective in combat, also seems to indicate that general stats are less-godlike in terms of power and control than in the EU series. (where a "god general" is something 6-7X as powerful)

jayrachloo

#9 Post by jayrachloo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Sequel would be cool, but I really want to see a prequel with Elodie's younger self and her mom being a queen.

Ramidel

#10 Post by Ramidel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 am

Someone making an LLTQ mod for CKII would actually be pretty cool, come to think of it.

Spandex Faffy

#11 Post by Spandex Faffy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Ramidel wrote:Someone making an LLTQ mod for CKII would actually be pretty cool, come to think of it.
Well the best way and place to get that to happen would probably be these forums so make a forum post to get a team together, if you don't I might in a couple of months. A couple of things that have been mentioned around the forum like how to impliment magic could be solved in a couple of ways, I think a good way to represent who is allowed to use magic would be a lumen crystal trait (handled like the valyrian swords in the Game of Thrones mod). Having a crystal would give you a magic menu (like elder kings mod) you could have spells that can speed up combat and seiges in your favour but have a % chance of backfiring based on your learning skill (similar to dragons in the game of thrones mod but with learning having an effect on the outcome), also abusing magic could increase revolt risk and if magic is not yet acceptable give other characters a oppinion malus. Okay this sounds way cool. It would also be cool to rewrite all of the plots to have the possible assassination from the game (although thinking about it a lot of them are already the same).

Ramidel

#12 Post by Ramidel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:26 am

I don't have nearly the modding chops to lead a project team (hell, I failed miserably at my attempt to mod the Jewish script so that Sephardic Jews would show up under Muslim and Zoroastrian rulers outside of Iberia, instead of Ashkenazi). Nonetheless, here is my random doodling to help inspire someone else to do it

You'd need two traits for lumen. Lumen potential and lumen crystal, along with a script of some kind for random exotic magic traits (full lumen+potential lumen, like Elodie and Charlotte, also maybe something for Lucille-style dark lumen). Perhaps having a lumen crystal could be concealed from everyone else and just make the "become lumen" decision available.

Also, of course, there would have to be some way to handle getting three lumen together for a triple blast.

Hm, would lumen acceptability be measured by a crown law? Outlawed/Divine Right (royalty only)/Accepted/Honored?