Game Development Resources

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
marion_mustang

game making

#16 Postby marion_mustang » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 pm

I want to make a simulation game (kinda like cute knight) but I don't know what type of game maker to get.

Can anyone tell me which one would be perfect for that?
I've used Rpg maker before (for other games just rpgs though)
if you know a good game maker please send me a link!

hanako
Site Admin

#17 Postby hanako » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Because Cute Knight (and Princess Maker) are sort of genre-crossover games, none of the simple tools are going to make it as easy and comfortable for a non-programmer to make a game like them as RPG Maker would for standard JRPGs.

You could make a game like that in Game Maker, or RenPy, or RPG Maker, or a lot of other things, but you'd have to do a good bit of programming to add the features that weren't naturally part of the system.

If you wanted to focus mostly on taking classes to raise skills and end up with a game more like Summer Session, you would do well with RenPy. There are a few tutorials around already for that kind of game (usually described as a "dating sim engine") and people who would help you with your programming if you had a good design idea. But putting full RPG elements into RenPy, while definitely possible, is a lot more work and less commonly done.

xkillshock

#18 Postby xkillshock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm really interested in making a love simulation game. Gonna start working on it :) I'm just wondering, where would you find suitable music/audio? Sort of hard to explain, any help?
I am here to take your cookies.

hanako
Site Admin

#19 Postby hanako » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:07 pm

If you want to make a commercial game, you generally need to look for "royalty free" music sites. There are a lot of them out there, and songs will generally cost anywhere from $5 to $100 apiece. soundrangers.com or shockwave-sound.com are a couple of starting places.

If you want to make a free game, there are a lot of musicians who are happy to let their work be used for free as long as you give them credit. Try searching for "creative commons" music. Also, if you find an independent musician's website (that is, not someone big and famous) and you ask, they may give you permission.

xkillshock

#20 Postby xkillshock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Is newgrounds also an option? Thanks for the reply ^^

hanako
Site Admin

#21 Postby hanako » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:02 pm

I don't know much about newgrounds. :)

In general, make sure you know who really made the music, and make sure you have their permission.

xkillshock

#22 Postby xkillshock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Thankies, yeah I was just stuck on that. I'll post the game on here if I ever finish :)

Yuki

#23 Postby Yuki » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:08 am

Artists tend to be more difficult to get hold of than musicians. At least in my experience.

marion_mustang

#24 Postby marion_mustang » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:09 pm

which maker would be best for making a game similar to cute knight?
I have ideas all up in my head for a game but I don't know which maker would be best.

:?: :?:

marion_mustang

renpy?

#25 Postby marion_mustang » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 pm

thanks for the help! is renpy hard to use? I've only used rpg maker and rpg maker xp. Is the script writing hard or do you have to do it a special way? I could use all the help I can get trying to use a new version.

the idea is odd I kind of thought it up on the blue (by the way I love cute knight deluxe!! I bought it at best buy and haven't been able to stop playing!!)

also I was wondering, when can one expect a deluxe version of spirted heart? I like this game as well, its different and a lot of fun.

xkillshock

#26 Postby xkillshock » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 pm

@marion In my opinon, RpgMaker VX is so much more easier to use than XP. I tried XP for myself, and it was a bit confusing for me.

The Pro's & Cons of XP:
Pros
-A lot of people prefer the sprites (y'know the character that walks around) as opposed to the ones in VX.
-More scripts, since it's older than VX.
-Some of the tilesets and what not they have are better than VX.
-Also, a lot of people prefer the program itself.

Cons
-Confusing to begin with, if you're just starting. (imo)
-Importing custom tile sets is a pain.
-Some of the scripts are confusing.

Then the Pro's & Cons of VX: (i'm using it myself :D)
Pros
-Easier to use than XP.
-Importing & scripting isn't hard at all.
-And I find it easier to use because there are tutorials everywhere and I really like the character sprites. They're so small and chibi like, haha.
-Everything is organized.

Cons
-The tile sets are a bit blocky and cartoonish.
-Scripting is hard for both programs unless you're really good with it ._.;

Also. If you want scripts, just look on rpgrevolution or hbgames. They have good scripts for VX and XP :)

I hope that helped. xD

marion_mustang

#27 Postby marion_mustang » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:48 pm

thanks xkillshock. I'll definately try out Vx.

hanako, could you give me a set of instructions to use renpy? I tried it out but its very confusing. I also don't know how to put in images. or word anything. On the site wasn't too helpful.

hanako
Site Admin

#28 Postby hanako » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:24 pm

nope, 'cause I don't actually use it!

you'll need to ask people on the renpy forum for tips.

Loreless

#29 Postby Loreless » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:41 am

oki so this is months old but ....... you own i been looking for renpy for a while ................

i used it once before then it got lost with a ton of other stuff could never remember the name of it

it's not what you do ........ it's how you play ......

:Twisted:

undomiel1980

#30 Postby undomiel1980 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm wondering if there's a beginner's tutorial on how to do stats in Renpy like how they did the stats in Spirited Hearts and Flower Shop.

Return to “Make your Own Games!”