Destiny: "You Were Never My Friend"

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
Calixte9

#46 Post by Calixte9 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:50 am

Yes, I'm definitely going to work on more conversations etc. Do you have any suggestions for cut scenes or conversation topics? All will be greatly appreciated.

lill_sweetty

#47 Post by lill_sweetty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Okay, I'm just going to throw some things out there. And be prepared for a whole lot of random ideas...

Girl talks:

-Exams (I'm actually pretty confused about what you need to pass too, so it'd be nice....) And something like this is what I meant by more natural:

Ella: I can't believe this! Did you all know that we'd have a exam in the middle of the term?
Lynette: *laughs* You should really pay more attention. I've been told by some of the guys. They'll be testing on ___.
Amelia: You didn't know, Ella? I'll be glad to help you if you want. Martin might help you too if you talk to him.
Sophia: Oh God...I still need to study. What if I fail? Oh God, that can't happen or--
Odette: hush, all of you, I'm trying to sleep. And you can't fail if you study.
Sophia: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to complain...I...
Lynette: It's alright, Sophia. No one minds. And Odette, you shouldn't say things like that.
Odette: ..... Fine.
Odette: Sorry. But...she was much too worried.
Ella: Oh my God! Were you concerned, Odette?
Odette: .....
Lynette: It's late. Let's all go to sleep. We can worry later.
Amelia: Yes, let's go to sleep. And Sophia, you're the most studious of us all. You'll be fine.
Sophia: Thanks...

Cut and chop as you wish for each girl and when we're playing them, and edit as you wish for each like. Like, for Ella's route, Sophia could speak up about her worries first.

Other girls' talk ideas:
-Free time (like, the options: Leave and shop, talk to Felix, take a class. You might want to actually say some classes aren't available too).
-Reaction after field day.
-Missing home. (you touched on this, but more so... Like, maybe one could wonder how their parents or doing, and how/why the water supply got tainted. Bond them).
-Complaint about the food (Don't know about you, but schools often have bad food. Can also touch upon eating lowers happiness, which lowers productivity).
-Competitions throughout the term.
-The shops and money (maybe one complains they don't sale much, one says they wouldn't have the money to buy anyway... Another says you can always use your talents for them.)
---------------

The guys:
All of them:
-Opinions about the other girls.
-About their homes at...home. And can tie to their personality by what they mention about their homes. Brian only child and his parents, Martin's big library, Felix's big yard at home. And Theodore...well...dream home?

Brian:
-Why he doesn't like fighting.
Felix:
-Complaint about the classes' quota.
-Detention (he got caught, had to sit there forever.)
-About the strange lady that really likes paintings (since you assume he'd also walk around and skip class a lot).
Martin:
-Comments about later on. The many regions, the enemies, the town. Not everything, just some things. Works because he reads a lot.
Theodore:
-Your childhood together.
-How he misses you.
-Asks if you take/like magic. (can hint towards his powers).

I thought the conversation can really be a hint system as well as deflecting a lot of questions players have. It can also develop the characters a lot more. And, well, just mix-match, shuffle the ideas if you want to incorporate the lunch thing too. The best thing about lunch is that all 9 characters will be at the table to discuss stuff with all of them.

Calixte9

#48 Post by Calixte9 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:59 am

I see, thanks. However, the only problems I really have are for Theodore and Odette. Odette because she's not really a mean person, but rather just can't care. Theodore because I can't say anything about him with really giving too much of the plot away (Even saying that gave a lot away) and I already have a prequel in progress (You play as Theodore) like a subgame to introduce the background story more.

For the exam, all you need to pass is a lot of Knowledge, which taking magic also increases, only very slowly, if you can't be bothered taking critical thinking. If you do really well in the exam, you get some money too. :wink:

lill_sweetty

#49 Post by lill_sweetty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:18 pm

~_~ Aren't you taking too much in your hands? A game and then a subgame. Wow....

Anyway, okay, for Theodore, you could just say some trivial things. Get across the message that he didn't have much of a childhood. Have him talk to you about monsters, and what's out there, and whether or not he's curious to see all that. (I don't know, since I don't know his backstory). But basically, set up the whole mysterious danger thing. And Felix mentioned Theodore trusting the PC a lot, but I didn't see that at all, so maybe he can tell you something about meeting fairies (I presume? I thought that was where the story was going), or that he doesn't expect to live long, but without REALLY saying anything.

And for Odette, yeah, she did sound kind of mean and standoffish instead of just reserved. You can let her say things that aren't rude at certain times when she DOES have something to say... In one conversation, you can let her tell her views of things. Sort of like, "I don't get why so many people talk about such trivial things." or, "I have my life, they have theirs. I don't want to break into theirs without any reason. It's their life", "How do you expect me to talk to you when I don't know you well?" (for the intro girl talk). And you can have SOME character development of her by others saying something about friends worrying about trivial stuff like that together, and that it also sometimes means worrying about each other without being invited to because you care about them. I think you just have to incorporate their personalities into their conversation. How you get that across is yours, because you created their personalities and so have to know them best. But if you need more developed ideas, I can write some out...
Last edited by lill_sweetty on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calixte9

#50 Post by Calixte9 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Ah, okay. Thanks. The prequel isn't a big project, I just work on it when I feel like so there's not that much to it. Most of it is just pretty straight forward, it's not a sim. You mention a mysterious danger, is that how you take it to be? Alright then, I'll use that.

lill_sweetty

#51 Post by lill_sweetty » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:53 am

Well... the mystique thing wasn't really working out. At first, I didn't really see any mysterious danger until Theodore went missing, when that kicked in. I don't think that's the best thing for the game, because then:

A. You expect the game to end after Day 30.
B. It sort of kills the "I want to find Theodore" thing and Theodore himself.

Considering that he has all this power, and that he's supposed to not show himself much unless it's the PC (and even then, not much), yes, I would interpret it all as mysterious danger. I thought that's what you were trying to show Theodore as and the mood you were going for...but not quite getting there, but maybe you didn't want it at all. XD But that's how I see it, yes, and I do want it in the game for the above reasons.

One last suggestion... you might want to download more midis, because the same midi gets annoying afterwhile.

Calixte9

#52 Post by Calixte9 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:47 am

Please excuse me if I'm being stupid but what did that mean? Are you saying that I should change the story or something? Sorry, I seem to be having a lapse in understanding things. :oops:

I have tried downloading midis, but there aren't actually too many good ones out there that are free and don't have copyrights attached. Even I'm starting to find the music annoying.

lill_sweetty

#53 Post by lill_sweetty » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:53 am

Sorry...I didn't make much sense, did I?

I'm not saying you're to change the story. The story is fine as it is. I'm saying you should get the story out better. Ie. your premise is good, but the execution could be better. From what I can understand, mysterious danger is what you're SUPPOSED to feel from Theodore and the story, considering everything. Instead, the mood is very :?. There's no mysteriousness, no anticipation... I assumed you wanted that mood, so that's why I mentioned it, and if you did...you sorta failed. Even if that is not the mood you were planning for when you created Theodore and the story, I still think you should strive for this "mysterious danger" mood, because it will help the game, because:

A. You won't expect the game to end after Day 30 as much.
B. You will want to find Theodore and find out his story.

Basically, all this means is that drop a lot of hints about him, the plot, ect. and get the whole mysterious thing going. Give the Player a motivation to find out what happens to him (or they will just go home afterwards and basically lose the other 90% of your game, simply because they're not interested in finding Theodore and his story). That's all... Does that make more sense?

O.o Try this site for midis:
http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/midi/index.shtml

I hope that helps.

Calixte9

#54 Post by Calixte9 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:04 am

Ah, thanks. I'm sorry though, It still don't understand,when you say "drop a lot of hints about him, the plot, ect." do you mean drop out or drop in? XD I'm stupid.

lill_sweetty

#55 Post by lill_sweetty » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:51 am

Drop... is just slang for add in. Not out. Put in lots of hints through conversations, ect., but don't reveal anything too much. Just get the player excited and wanting to find out about him and the plot.

Calixte9

#56 Post by Calixte9 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 am

Oh, thanks for clarifying that. I usually used the word "drop" to mean drop off so I was kind of confused. Now i feel stupid.

Reverbgasm

#57 Post by Reverbgasm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:00 am

Have you thought about letting characters use their cooking skills to cook the raw meat that they get n battles? yeah and cutscenes for classes with other characters and where you actually cook, play instruments, etc, would be great and so would more dialogue. Also more foliage and plants/flowers sounds cool and maybe you could actually read some parts of books instead of just saying you see a random assortment of books.

Calixte9

#58 Post by Calixte9 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:48 am

Reverbgasm wrote:Have you thought about letting characters use their cooking skills to cook the raw meat that they get n battles?
Yes, that is exactly what I intend for to do but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm glad that you think it is a good idea though.

liesel

#59 Post by liesel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:30 am

Okay, well, first of all, let me say that my first impression of this game was very good. I love being able to choose a character out of a few with set personalities, and I really liked the idea of the game and all, but once I started playing I found it to be extremely repetitive and very, very glitchy. In fact, I've never played such a glitchy game. o.o

The first thing I want to address is the schooling thing. You say that you know it's boring, so here's my question... do you want it to be boring? o.o If you understand that people don't like to go through the same thing 20 times, then why do you force them to? Why not change it? You could always have the player select their schedule and have the computer automatically have them go to those classes everyday, unless they decide to skip. Of course, I don't know anything about making games, so I'm not sure it's possible. It would be cool if it was, though.

On to the glitches. I played the game as Ella and the first thing I noticed was that when Felix gives her a present, a little error message pops up and the game shuts down. I got as far as going to Rising Phoenix on the search for Theodore, but once I got there I was stuck. If I went into any building and then tried to walk out, the door would automatically open again and I was forced to go back in, no matter how many times I tried to leave. So yeah. I couldn't really play the game from there. =(

Calixte9

#60 Post by Calixte9 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:10 am

I appreciate your contribution but the glitches you've stated has already been mentioned and dealt with so it would be good if you take into consideration the posts of others before posting yourself. I'm not trying to sound angry, but when I play I don't find it that boring to the extent that I don't want to play it anymore. The repetitiveness is being addressed however I don't find it any worse then Princess Maker 2 really.