Destiny: "You Were Never My Friend"

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
Calixte9

#31 Post by Calixte9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:08 am

Ah, I'll look into those glitches. There are a few classes that are unavailable for the 4th session, (I think they're Art (Both forms), Music, Cooking, Proper Etiquette,) so that was intentional. Also, I'd like to thank you for playing my game for so long, I'm glad you have the patience.

Edit: Hmm, I didn't seem to get that problem when you had to repeat the field day.

phoenixgirl

#32 Post by phoenixgirl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:03 am

Hi Calixte,

Hmm, regarding the repeating of field day, here's how I got the bug. After completing the actual field day with Emma, I saved the game. Then I closed it and then opened it again. Then when I played the game as usual, that's when I encountered the bug.
Please help and support me here.

Calixte9

#33 Post by Calixte9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:17 am

Okay, I'll see if I can find what's causing the problem.

lill_sweetty

#34 Post by lill_sweetty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Here's some stuff. I have only finished the 30 day schooling, so the report is not yet complete.

1) There were quite a lot of typos and the dialogue felt stilted a lot of the time. It's nothing big, but you should rethink the dialogue to make the girls with a bit more personality. The shy girls were the hardest to distinguish. Ella had th emost personality. Also, comb through the game for these typos. If you want, I can make a list of the typos I noticed. I also thought the layout of the first city and the school was strange. Why is the dining room upstairs?

2) Felix's present can't be opened. I think someone already reported that. Also.. I couldn't eat a tangerine I bought in battle.

3) Are you ever caught skipping? I skipped a whole day because I wanted to see if I can go to detention... nothing. I also expected going to the boys' dormitory at night would have some consequence. Also nothing.

4) I dropped off my sister because she IS annoying, but she still followed me everywhere. She disappeared when I selected yes, but when I got to the dock, she returned. She only finally left when I went into a shop and came out again in the city where the school is. And may I ask where she went after I went to school?

5) I found the schooling to be rather monotonous. Maybe cutscenes when you eat would make you find each day for amusing and get to know the characters more.

6) More instructions regarding what to do. I got on the ship, and since nothing happened, I thought the game had froze. Only when the screen suddenly changed did I realized I had to wait a bit because I was traveling. And I had NO idea that I had to fight later on. I was going after Bryan and so didn't take fighting lessons, since he dislikes fighting. Then I promptly died and had to restart from WAAY back.

Calixte9

#35 Post by Calixte9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 am

Yeah, a lot of that stuff I already know about. I have played through multiple times is search of incorrect English (spelling/ grammar) but always fail to find them because I read it as what it should say instead of what it actually says (lol). Yes, you be caught skipping class, as pheonixgirl has been.
Cut scenes are hard because I don't know what could happen. And how did you get killed? By what was it? Because if you wanted to got after Bryan, you really should have went back home in the end. There's no real consequence for going into th boy's dorm apart from loosing obedience.

I am fixing Abigail, she goes to school too since she's school aged but just not the same one as you.

phoenixgirl

#36 Post by phoenixgirl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Just finished playing through as Sophia this time. I found a few bugs or unusual things.

1. When I talk to Martin, from days 5 to 14, he always asks her if she wants to study with him. After the exam is over, he no longer asks that. Is that supposed to be the case?

2. When Martin gives Sophia the Secrets of the Universe, I got an error. It's the same error as when Felix gives a present.

Ulin208

#37 Post by Ulin208 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Can I answer for Calixte again? She kinda left so I might as well seeing I got here first if it's okay with you. The answer to question one is yes. Studying with Martin increases your relationship with him as well as your intelligence, and about the second one, it's being worked on as well, however, you're not missing out on much since the actual book doesn't do anything yet.

phoenixgirl

#38 Post by phoenixgirl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying that. :)

I'll play one more time as Odette and if I find any bugs, I'll be sure to report them. :wink:

lill_sweetty

#39 Post by lill_sweetty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:25 pm

When I said I got killed, I meant when I went on holiday to look for Theodore (I'm playing as Odette), by a wolf. But I still talked to Bryan, especially after Theodore left. I didn't take any fighting classes, but only magic. Of course, for magic, you need MP, but I was only a level 2... Basically, it would've been nice to have known beforehand. This was also made worse by the fact that I could not eat.

By the way...I just remembered two things I encountered. One is that while on the ship, the NPCs had a habit of walking "into" the partition that was for the stairway that was supposed to be a wall. The other is that I talked a lot to Felix after Theodore was gone... and he mentioned some stuff about Theodore acting strange and stuff... when Theodore wasn't there anymore.

I realize I forgot to say this before, so I'll say it now. Wow! There's actually a whole lot of stuff in your game, so much farther than I had anticipated. It's actually a very big game! I thought it would end with 30 days, but it didn't.... And unlike a lot of the bigger RMXP games out there, you guys didn't have a huge team of spriters, musicians, artists, mappers, scripters ect. It's amazing how you guys stayed motivated and all, and finished. So even though I'm raining down criticism, I am actually really impressed.

phoenixgirl

#40 Post by phoenixgirl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 am

So I finally am finished beta testing (as much as I can do anyway) and I only have one more thing to report.

I played as Odette and when she was asked if she wanted to participate in the art competition, I chose yes and she didn't win anything. However, the same question was repeated and the only way to move on in the game was to choose no. This didn't happen with the talent competition, though.

Overall, I really liked the game and agree with lill_sweetty that it is way bigger than first thought. I can't wait to see the final version and have the chance to search for Theodore. Speaking of which, I would suggest that before that quest is initiated, there be some way that the PC can earn money. I wanted to take the boat on the world map but it cost 10 coins and I didn't have any money. lol

That's all I can think of for now but it was really great to try it out and I can't wait to see how the final turns out. :)

lill_sweetty

#41 Post by lill_sweetty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:04 am

Oh yes...Phoenixgirl reminded me. On the first night, when I was Odette and was asked if I wanted dinner, I said no and the screen popped up again. I had to say yes... A lot like the art competition thing.

By the way, Phoenixgirl, one way to get money is the 1 chest in the "school town" and one more in your first forest, and 5 GPs on the rope on the side of the ship. Also, buy art supplies and a canvas. Take art class, paint a pic, and sale the pic back for 10 gp. Sort of monotonous, but buy lots of canvas, paint them all, and sale them all in one batch. I don't know if the art supplies ever run out though...

One more thing, and I know this is weird, but I really really love conversation. Hence the "cutscreen" lunch/dinner idea. So...I was hoping you could add more for Martin, Bryan and Felix to say. After awhile, they go "hello" again and again... And I love the girls' talks. Can you please add more of them, but make them sound less stiff ("As we're all new here, I think we should introduce ourselves. My name is ___ and I like ___." "And going back to what you were saying, ___, I think we should..." ~__~) That's the general idea. No one talks like that, even the really shy/stern girls. I should know, I'm one of them... It's normal that the first chat should be calmer, but try to imitate how sisters talk or girls talk at sleepovers. Three over the course of 30 days is sparse, and I never get to really interact with them...

Of course, anything not bug related are just suggestions, so take them whenever you wish. :P

Calixte9

#42 Post by Calixte9 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 am

Yes, I really do want to add cut scenes but find it hard to think of ideas, so I was reluctant to do so. Perhaps it seems strange to you but I sometimes talk like that, so I thought that it would be okay to write like it in the game. Anyway, thanks for the compliments. ^_^.

Ulin208

#43 Post by Ulin208 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:20 am

I think my sister left out a lot of stuff when answering the questions, I suppose you could say we aimed a little too high for our first actually game not including practice one but at time we weren't really all that motivated, there are still many glitches since it hasn't really even been properly Alpha tested. Do you sell the painting to the shop? There is a lady in one of the houses that pays for the painting more than the shop does and no, the painting supplies don't run out. We are going to make some cut scenes during lunch/dinner now since the school is quite boring but it'll make the game even bigger than is which is bad for people with slow internet, (we've had a few complaints in the past).

lill_sweetty

#44 Post by lill_sweetty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:15 pm

Well, personally, for me, it wasn't a very big download....Hm, but yeah... that would be a problem. I don't think adding some scenes would make a huge difference though...

And thanks for the tip! That makes my life easier... I do think adding more conversation is a good idea, because at the beginning of the game, it's not really an RPG, but a sim (hence my later problems because of that assumption). Sims really rely on good conversation, puzzles, and things to explore.

phoenixgirl

#45 Post by phoenixgirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:00 am

@lill_sweetty:

Ahh ok. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. If I get a chance to play through again, I'll be sure to try that. :)