Destiny: "You Were Never My Friend"

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
lill_sweetty

#61 Post by lill_sweetty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Don't be mad. The poster might've written his posts frankly, but he did say he liked the idea, the execution just wasn't there, and he told why, and he seemed upset that he couldn't play it anymore. With criticism, it might sting, because the game's your baby (I nearly cried when I got my first bad comment about my story) but the pill should be swallowed and dissected anyway, especially if it's detailed and legitimate. And I do think it was. And think of it this way, it was boring and repetitive, but he clearly liked it enough to play through to search for theodore. I think what he meant was that major glitches that shuts the game down and smaller glitches like grammar should've been weeded out and more refinement in the game should've occurred before the demo was released. It's obvious demos aren't going to be perfect, but it should at least stand as a testament to the quality of the game in general. Beta testers before the batch batch release would've been a good idea. The more refinement you do, the more pleased your players will be (and the bigger chance they'll come back for a bigger demo) and the less changes there will be...

Also, I have to say, Calixte, with princess maker 2, you're merely clicking. It's not the same as walking down flights of stairs, going to classes, going to lunch, walking down stairs again, go to one class, and then go back up to talk to Felix. PM2 and Cute Knight had a lot more choices, each day/week went quicker, and a lot more excitement (PM2 more so than Cute Knight, which coincidentally, suffers some of your same problems, but had more in terms of resolutions and interesting characters/conversations/punishments/rewards/choices/random events).

Your game lacks this...excitement, which I why I suggested to add a mysterious dangerous mood and more conversation, because then each day is slightly different and less monotonous. The design and time is amazing, and it's not so bad to quit, but it's not addicting either. You can have the computer skip, actually, by creating events like during the competition. I never saw the art contest or talent contest, but there were results. I think doing this will waste all the classes' work though, so my suggestion is rearrange your school to make the time walking smaller. Moving the dining room downwards is the best choice.

By the way... you say you're trying to fix these bugs. I'm just wondering if you have any plans for a Version 2 release?

Calixte9

#62 Post by Calixte9 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 am

I don't mean to argue but I did mention that I wasn't angry, critique doesn't bother me that much but it's the fact that everything has already been mentioned that slightly annoyed me. I do admit that the game is rather glitchy but I have released a previous version, none of which the spelling errors were brought up. As for a version 2, that won't be until ages.

lill_sweetty

#63 Post by lill_sweetty » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:10 pm

You weren't angry? You sounded like it. But regardless, I agree with his comments, all of them. The repetitive level of Destiny is a lot more than PM2. and I think he raised an interesting question. A gamemaker wants to make the best game they can. You knew it was repetitive, so why did you not change it?

As for V2, I was expecting it to take awhile... Like previously mentioned, the concept is quite good, especially for this PM2 lover, but it wasn't done well, rather glitchy and boring. This demo is very flawed as far as demos go. I didn't mention this before, but your mapping is bad... They're deserted, not lived in, not pretty, even highly improbable, and like a maze. I was confused on where to go throughout. There's not enough attention to detail. Downsize the maps if the huge city is too much for you to handle. It being a sim, exploring HAS to happen (NPCs, checking out books, houses) and it should be FUN. Mapping, story, actual gameplay will need a long overhaul. I suggest going through a beta tester first for your next version. Beta testers are for testing, but gamers PLAY your game. Beta testers are patient. Gamers are not. There's a difference.

Mapping-wise, you might want to go to RMXP.org for the help in mapping. They also have tons of resources, and the games there are amazing. Demos they are, but highly highly polished demos, usually short but stunning. You could've. I suggest you check out Quintessence and Ethereal Dreams for how to create atmosphere and tell a story. Master of the Wind, To Anywhere, and some parts of Blacksmith's Apprentice are stunning to look at, so check it for mapping. And btw, Blacksmith's Apprentice is probably the best example: one person team, few custom graphics, and yet has a huge following. If you post there, you might get a lot of good criticism, but it's harsher.

Calixte9

#64 Post by Calixte9 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:07 am

I see your point and I have multiple times looked on that forum at the tutorials and such but my mapping skills are, to some extent, hopeless. As for looking at those games, unfortunately, I'm one of those with really slow internet (I'm talking about 2 hours + for something which is about 50MB) which also often gets interrupted while in download. :cry:

Anyway, I don't mean that as an excuse but especially now that a lot of the major assessments at school have started, I don't have that much time to wait for things to download or read through tutorials.

lill_sweetty

#65 Post by lill_sweetty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 am

It's okay. I said before, it's a huge commitment, and a lot of people don't even make it this far, so I have to congrats you on that beforehand.

But these are just suggestions to make your game better. Like I said, downsizing your maps might be best, or laying the design down before creating it. Things to keep in mind: Keep the distance to walk with nothing to do/look at/explore at the minimum. If there's too much monotony or bare ground, you're doing it wrong.Random vegetation/furniture helps, and not too much of the same colors. Make it easy to navigate, but still small and concise and interesting. The school should have a BIG sign (a scroll maybe) and be easy to spot (the main path, perhaps). And the maze should be on a separate map. Create a portal to get to that map, so that it doesn't take that much time. And in that case, you can test the player for good eyesight, and not make them walk 5 minutes for the chest. :D

Mapping's hard! Just keep at it! And school's tough too, so take breaks if you need to, it's okay. By the way, if you need a beta tester, I'm all yours. :wink:

Calixte9

#66 Post by Calixte9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:58 am

Thanks, for offering to help it shall be greatly appreciated. The good thing is, I've only got 3 more weeks of school left. :D Hopefully, I'll be able to make some progress in my break.