Destiny: "You Were Never My Friend"

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
Calixte9

Destiny: "You Were Never My Friend"

#1 Post by Calixte9 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Destiny: "You Were Never My Friend" is a game I'm working on right now for anyone who's interested. It's made with RPG Maker XP and has 5 playable characters. It has elements from Cute Knight like the skills but has a RPG plot and features multiple endings unique to the character you play.

Plot: Your school's water supply is poisoned and you must transfer to another school for the last 30 days of the year. You guide your choice of one of the five girls through the remainder of the school year. All is well until a boy mysteriously vanishes, at the end of the 30 days you must choose to return home or investigate the disappearance.

Characters:

Lynette (Playable): A young woman who presents herself neatly, she cares about her appearance. She is caring, considerate and tries to get along with everyone, would naturally take the role of “leader” in a group.

Ella (Playable): Is mostly happy, and may come across as a little immature. She is laid back but gets excited easily and is a little cheeky. Spontaneous, not much of a planner she is fairly intelligent however dislikes school.

Amelia (Playable): Gentle and kind, she is more interested in helping others than her social status. Quite submissive and somewhat shy, doesn’t have much of a temper and wishes to make a difference in the world.

Sophia (Playable): A shy girl that often worries over trivial matters and doesn’t make friends easily due to caring about her grades. Is content with her life and studies in her spare time, is portrayed as quiet but simply fears being ridiculed for her ideas.

Odette (Playable): Depicted as shy but really just doesn’t have a lot to say. Often reserved, also a little antisocial, doesn’t often show her feelings and can be distant. Still willing to listen and selfless but is secretive.

Felix: Fun loving and energetic, he dislikes all subjects of school except sports. He doesn't take things too seriously and doesn't work well under pressure.

Martin: An intelligent boy who's quiet and rather shy. Though not selfish, he wouldn't really go out of his way to do something nice for anyone.

Bryan: Very kind and considerate, a good listener and very friendly although quiet. He prefers personality over looks, and is overall a nice guy.

Theodore: A friend from the player's childhood, is kind-natured and a real gentleman. However in a world where powerful magic is a sign of demonic presence, he has a terrible secret, he poses unbelievable talent in this very thing.

Faye: A resident fairy of Enchantias Woods, she has an innocent and helpful nature and is quite adept in fairy magic. Can join your party.

Demo Here

Note: There are only 5 endings currently available in the demo (1 for each of the playable characters) and though the schooling is quite repetitive, don't be put off because it's necessary so you can gain skills (not acquired from leveling up) . I don't suggest you play this unless you have a good 45-60 minutes free, if you plan on finishing it.
To skip class, walk into your bed. I don't recommend skipping, though, because there are serious (boring) consequences.

Naiomi666

#2 Post by Naiomi666 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:26 am

Ok so i really like it but there is some problems with the game technically.

1.) the computer says there is an "syntax error while running script" whenever i try and talk to Theodore which is a pity because the only two times i talked to him he seemed really cool.

2.)When i try and talk to brian after the fifth time it will not let me.

3.) and i cannot continue to play when the faye shows up because it will say
"Unable to find graphics/transitions/020-Flat01.

and that is how far i am in the demo. i cannot continue further than that.

All in all an awesome game though it would be cool in the finished version if there were more chances to interact with the guys or have our stats more incorporated into the game.

Calixte9

#3 Post by Calixte9 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:56 am

Thanks but about the first 2 glitches, could you tell me which character you are? I'll work on fixing them as soon as I find the actual sources of error.

Later on in the game you can fight and did you know that you can go out of school in the 4th session to buy things? If you buy a painting set and some canvas you can paint and sell your paintings to a woman. She will buy them depending on you art skill so that's one way that skill is used.

Naiomi666

#4 Post by Naiomi666 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:46 pm

oh cool thats awesome. The character i was playing was Amelia.

Calixte9

#5 Post by Calixte9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:54 am

Hmm... That's strange. I played through with Amelia and didn't find that problem with talking to Theodore and I'm yet to investigate the Bryan one. I fixed the part where Faye appears. Could you possibly provide anymore information about the Theodore bug?

Naiomi666

#6 Post by Naiomi666 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:02 am

eh no sorry i put all of the information i know. You could try and post your game in the lemma soft forum and ask for people to put down what errors they see. There's a lot of people that could help you a lot better than i can.

also i have a question for my own curiosity. Why does the title include
"you were never my friend" I am really curious about that.

Calixte9

#7 Post by Calixte9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:16 am

Well, you find that out later in the game but unfortunately I haven't made that part yet. I don't want to ruin the surprise I suppose.

Edit: I talked to Bryan as well and did not find a problem. Could it possibly be something to do with your computer?

Naiomi666

#8 Post by Naiomi666 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 pm

you know i was thinking about that. I think i will just wait for the full version.

Reverbgasm

#9 Post by Reverbgasm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 am

The game stops and goes to a black screen and a message pops up saying 'Script_Nombre_NPC' line 79: NoMethodErrorOccured. undefined method `dispose' for nil:NilClass when you talk to a guy in the rising phoenix area and he tells you were Theodore might have went and when you talk to Felix when he's going to give you present. And in the rising phoenix area you keep going back in the doors right after you exit when you enter the item shop or the place in the bottom left corner where you ask a guy about Theodore and he says he doesn't know anything but people usually come there to ship or send things. Also detention never seems to end and you can't bring up the menu screen or move or anything and the same thing happens after you go through the door to the roof in the first mentioned guy's house. There are three doors in the fairy area you can't open two are the weapons and item shop and third one is the one in the bottom right corner. Also you can't enter the tiny house next to the port in the phoenix area on the world map, the town that you get to through the path on the bottom right of the forest, the town in the diving fish area, or the cave right outside of your school on the world miry area you can't open two are the weapons and item shop and third one is the one in the bottom right corner. Also you can't enter the tiny house next to the port in the phoenix area on the world map, the town that you get to through the path on the bottom right of the forest, the town in the diving fish area, or the cave right outside of your school on the world map. Also in the town where the school is located there's a character looks like a maid outside of the inn that says something about being unable to do a sidequest do to lacking of graphics. Also there's random spelling errors throughout the game like when your talking to other characters just the boys in your school I think and phoenix is misspelled as pheonix.ap. Also in the town where the school is located there's a character looks like a maid outside of the inn that says something about being unable to do a side quest do to lacking of graphics. Also there's random spelling errors throughout the game like when your talking to other characters and phoenix is misspelled as pheonix. I was playing as Odette.
Last edited by Reverbgasm on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calixte9

#10 Post by Calixte9 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 am

Most of those glitches I was able to fix. I would like to say that the areas that are inaccessible are not yet made, detention does have an, end but it takes literally about 5 minutes. I was considering making it shorter but I'm not exactly sure yet. And yes, that side quest is currently unavailable because I don't have enough graphics so that's not a glitch. I fix spelling mistakes when I find them so could you provide the location of any you find please? Thank you . :D

Reverbgasm

#11 Post by Reverbgasm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:24 am

On the bookshelf in your house it says there are some books and magizines and Ella says it's for bed to her sister. Playing as Odette (same with Sophia) it says you see you favorite dress, when you take it with you it says you decided to take the it with you, and under items it says a beautiful dress rapped in a dust jacket. and phoenix is misspelled as pheonix in rising phoenix. Wooden shield is misspelled as wooden sheild and boys dormitory is misspelled as domitory. When you're talking to Ella on the first night of school at bedtime she says I knows but it's soooo much hassle they could'
ve (might want to put that last word on the next line) and Lynette's name is misspelled as Lynettte only that time. Sophia says Actually I prefer uniform and during the conversation it says the room is quiet or a few seconds. When you go inside the proper etiquette classroom it misspelled as ettiquette but it's fine on the outside door. If I find anymore I'll let ya know. Welcome.
Last edited by Reverbgasm on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calixte9

#12 Post by Calixte9 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks but what's wrong with the lines "a beautiful dress rapped in a dust jacket" and "Actually I prefer uniform"?

Reverbgasm

#13 Post by Reverbgasm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:12 pm

It's wrapped and I prefer uniforms just seems to jibe better.
Also the dress thing is the same with Amelia, Ella, and Lynette.
And their mom says until the end on the school term. Also when you say you don't know Theodore you're ebarrassed. Also you can walk up the wall to the right the stairs in the inn, your sister also gets stuck in buildings (not that I mind :twisted:) when you enter one and she comes with you even if you abandon her. Also you can walk through the counter in the item shop in the town where your school is and your sister follows you from building to building even though she gets stuck in whatever building you enter (except school) and you can ditch her in the item shop.
Last edited by Reverbgasm on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Calixte9

#14 Post by Calixte9 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 am

Ah, I see. I'm sort of slow to realize errors when the computer doesn't say it's wrong. :lol: Unfortunately, the glitches when your sister gets stuck are a bit difficult to fix but it's funny to watch her try to get to you.

hikari_rekka

#15 Post by hikari_rekka » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Um.. When I got the gift from Felix, it had this script error... Do you know how to fix it? And I'm playing as Odette. Oh, and I seem to be having trouble raising my visual arts. For some reason, it's at a -98. Am I doing something wrong?