Barrage of My Games!

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
Jinroh

Barrage of My Games!

#1 Post by Jinroh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:41 pm

JavaScript Edition!

Hello All, over the past year I've been experimenting with JavaScript coding whenever I've been somewhere for an extended period of time without a C Compiler.

So here are some of my endeavors:

My first game was pong...of course. :D
http://mypage.mtaloy.edu/~jjnst1/pong.html

Not horrible, not great. :)

Next Came The More Advanced Project!! Huzzah! It is a SideScroller that loads levels from External .JS Files!! Hooray!

http://mypage.mtaloy.edu/~jjnst1/SideSc ... lease.html

It has two levels and after the second refreshes for you to start over. They're both crappy test levels. I have a nice level editor if anybody is interested in making levels. I'll post it here and then everybody will be able to see it when my new site goes live, eventually. :D

Lastly was one I did today which is a classic 15-Puzzle! You guys/gals get to test it for me because I am horrid at 15-Puzzles ;)

http://mypage.mtaloy.edu/~jjnst1/Jinroh ... uzzle.html

Let me know if everything works when you win.

Nothing as awesome as Hanako, but I'm not so good at finishing larger projects. :D I have so many C projects that have been unfinished. It's not even funny. :)
The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:47 pm

Pretty neat that you can make a platformer work in javascript!

The second level doesn't seem to work right for me, I think it's using different blocks than it's displaying. I bump into invisible blocks and fall through visible ones.

Edit: I'm using Firefox. 2.0.0.14 to be precise.
Last edited by hanako on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinroh

#3 Post by Jinroh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Hmm...that's quite strange.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please let me know what browser you are using. It's still kind of buggy, but it may be a browser issuse. I have noticed that every once and a while if yout hit a Coin Block it shifts the block a bit so it may be related to this. I suppose that is not a browser issue though. :)

Thanks for the feedback Hanako.

EDIT:

Today I did two things .JS I made a prototype minigame for the game my wife wants to make for the competition. I cannot release that at this time. :(

However, I did take an additional 10 Minutes to make a Zerner Psychic Cards type of game.

http://mypage.mtaloy.edu/~jjnst1/zerner ... cards.html

Pretty much you just try and make the target card appear and it will track your hits and misses each round and give you your percentage correct and such. My best for one round so far has been 3/5. Let me know what you think.
The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.

Testsquid One

Re: Barrage of My Games!

#4 Post by Testsquid One » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Jinroh wrote:JavaScript Edition!

Next Came The More Advanced Project!! Huzzah! It is a SideScroller that loads levels from External .JS Files!! Hooray!

http://mypage.mtaloy.edu/~jjnst1/SideSc ... lease.html

It has two levels and after the second refreshes for you to start over. They're both crappy test levels. I have a nice level editor if anybody is interested in making levels. I'll post it here and then everybody will be able to see it when my new site goes live, eventually. :D
The koopas are very hard to jump on (possibly impossible - anytime I got near it it killed me - I'm not sure if that's because I'm clumsy or because it doesn't like my browser or what - goombas splat fine, though.) And LV2 doesn't show the right graphics until you die the first time. (Browser used: Konqueror 3.5.5 on AMD64 Linux. I also tried Iceweasel(which is Firefox in drag because there's some trademark-related grumpiness between Debian and the Mozilla project) 2.0.0.15), but that only displays the alerts and then sits at a solid blue screen.

Still, you did that in JS? That's impressive.

Jinroh

#5 Post by Jinroh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:11 am

Thanks for the feedback TSO!!

Yeah, the Koopas aren't impossible to jump on, but it's dang hard. The collision detection algorithm is the cheapest and most imprecise I could think of. So you cut corners you get bad results. :D

The second level is probably a holdover from the older file format and thus it's not loading correctly. So I'll have to check it out and see what's up with it.

As for the other browser it doesn't behave well outside of IE or Firefox so I'm not too sure what's going on there.

Thanks for playing, TSO.

EDIT: Levels Are Fixed.

Khaibit366

#6 Post by Khaibit366 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 am

Sweet deal J-Dawg. Haha. Blast me with ideas on AIM if you got any for my upcoming RPG. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout!~ And as always, I must say... Get out of the Jungle! Hope to see you in the "Plagueless Lands" again soon. :P

P.S. - I thought your signature said something about "A wolf and his meat bowl". That's how I know I should be sleeping but still I refuse. Haha.