A Side scrolling beat em up game

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
LonewolfSoldier

A Side scrolling beat em up game

#1 Post by LonewolfSoldier » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:33 am

Hello there,

I'm new to this website. I was thinking making a side scrolling beat em up game.
Last edited by LonewolfSoldier on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Hello! I'm guessing you're the person I was talking to at the con. :)

Anyway, the links I couldn't as easily provide in person:

http://hanakoforum.nfshost.com/phpBB2/v ... c.php?t=69 This topic lists a bunch of different game development tools that are all reasonably cheap and easy for a new game maker to get into.

Game Maker in particular is able to create a wide variety of game types without requiring a lot of low-level fiddling, and has many existing tutorials and starter code to play with. There is also a large forum full of users who can be investigated and recruited for projects. The caveat is that the average GMC forum user is very young, so it may take time to find reliable collaborators.

Another forum which isn't tied to a particular development tool is the TIGsource Indie Game Development forum. These users are on average a bit older and more skilled in programming, and there are always projects in various stages that people can try to get involved in.

LonewolfSoldier

Yes that is me from the kin-yoobi con

#3 Post by LonewolfSoldier » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm

The first link you showed me was a lot of development tools and I'm not sure which one to use for my game. I guess I'm going with game maker and I wish there is a trial version that I can practice.