How to make own game?

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
Kyla

How to make own game?

#1 Post by Kyla » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:48 am

So here. I want to know how you make your own game. With what kind of software? I want to make a dating sims game. But how? Would you mind to teach me? Pretty please? Thanks for sharing. :)

Ren

#2 Post by Ren » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Do you have an idea for a story already? :) Personally, I'd start from that, and then worry about which tools to use to create your game.

As for software that you could use you mostly have a choice between Novelty and Ren'Py, if you're thinking about making a Visual Novel/Dating Sim. You can find at least three communities where you could ask for help:

- The Lemmasoft Forums;
- The Novelty Forums;
- The Teacup Forums.

As far as I know the Novelty engine is a WYSIWYG program, so it's probably easier to grasp than Ren'Py, you could try visiting their forum and seeing if anyone has posted any example game there.
As for Ren'Py, you can download the latest build and read through the demo game (The question should have its script unobfuscated, so you can take a peek and learn from it). Mugenjohncel recently also created DSE the game, which is essentially a game demonstrating how to use Ren'Py's dating sim engine's functions, as I understand it.

Of course, creating any kind of game is such a broad topic that it's going to be very hard to "teach you" in a forum post, but hanging around the places I listed above, lurking a bit and peeking inside other people's code (when they leave it unobfuscated for that purpose) should, over time, allow you to get a good understanding of what to do.

Kyla

#3 Post by Kyla » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:14 pm

So Ren'Py can actually make a dating sim game? Haha~ I find it hard to make a dating sim game with it. I kind of having the story in my mind already. Just worry about how to make it into a dating sim game like make the relationship between you and the guy or girl closer. That's the problem. Still, I don't really get what you mean. I'm so sorry. :oops:

Ren

#4 Post by Ren » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Yes, Ren'Py can make dating sim games, you have to use the DSE (Dating Sim Engine) to do so; it's a separate download, you can look around for it on the Ren'Py site.

When you say you want to figure out how to make the relationships between characters work do you just mean you want to figure out what sort of code to use? I'm afraid that for that you'll have to dig around for tutorials on the DSE (Dating Sim Engine), as my field of knowledge is more on drawings than coding.

Which part of my post do you find particularly hard to understand?

Kyla

#5 Post by Kyla » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 am

All. Now I understand. :oops: Means I have to download the DSE so I just can make a Dating Sim Game with Ren'Py right? :)

Kyla

#6 Post by Kyla » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 am

Well. I did downloaded the DSE and even played it. And how does the DSE work afterall? :oops:

Ren

#7 Post by Ren » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm trying to work it out myself: hopefully I'll be able to reply to you or edit this post in a matter of hours. >:3

Edit:

I've downloaded both Renpy and the DSE.

After running Renpy's launcher I chose "Options" from there and created a Projects Directory. I then unzipped the contents of the DSE inside my Projects directory.

Then I got back to the main Launcher page and chose "Select Project" - the DSE is already there. :) I had to correct the DSE script as it had an incorrect variable, you can download the corrected version (plus fixed typos!) here...

EDIT EDIT:

Actually, we came up with an idea for a sort of tutorial game and we'll do that instead (I'll draw, my boyfriend will script the thing). It will take more time, especially 'cause I'm going home for the Christmas holidays, but it should be easier to understand, hopefully we won't make you wait long!

[Spoiler: it will contain bishounen.]
Last edited by Ren on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyla

#8 Post by Kyla » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks for help! :D You really help me a lot! ><

Ren

#9 Post by Ren » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Jake started writing the tutorial (all the credit goes to him for that, really - I am only going to provide the graphics for the game we'll make to produce the tutorial.

The first part is already written, but not online yet. I'll let you know when it is. :)
The intention is to make it a sort of walk-through with some general advice on how to make a VN/Dating Sim and focus on how to use the DSE. Hopefully, a few weeks from now, you'll have a game in which you can take a peek at the code and steps that should make things clearer.

Kyla

#10 Post by Kyla » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:01 am

Alright. :)

Odjin

#11 Post by Odjin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:50 am

The creator of Heartache 101 made it so you can edit the game and add in your own chars if you want to try that. I haven't really tried yet myself

http://rpgmaker.net/games/3229/

http://heartache101.3eeweb.com/
ImageImageImage