About selling a game...

So, you want to be a game maker? It might be easier than you think! Come here and see...
Damien's~

About selling a game...

#1 Post by Damien's~ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:38 pm

So this is directed at Hanako I suppose. I have been working on a game and I think we're actually going to get it finished. My only problem is I have no idea what to do with it after its done. Do we attempt to sell it? If so, how? Where do we go once it is complete?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, that depends a lot on what you want to do. Many people release games for free. (And depending on the legal status of all the resources inside the game, sometimes you have to.)

If you want to give your game away free you can upload copies to some file-sharing sites and also, if it's a romance game or visual novel, you can probably upload a copy on the lemmasoft forums. They don't mind hosting some attachments for game distribution purposes.

If you want to sell it, first you'll definitely want to have paid filehosting somewhere to set up a website and distribute demos and the like - it's NOT a good idea to try and do that on a free site. Then you need to make arrangements with various providers to handle the money. Most of us sell through BMT Micro but there are other services out there. Then you'll have to advertise your new site and game to get people to come play and hopefully buy.

Another option is to sign the rights to your game over to someone who is already in the business, and let them handle the hosting and the marketing and the money managing and just send you a share of the profits. Anyone who's already selling games *can* set up something like this, but since the resulting game would have our names on it as well, it would have to go through a testing period to be sure it matched up with the other products on offer.

There are some bigger services that work like that and sell the games of lots of different people, but for the most part you wouldn't want to try and deal with them right away.

I'm glossing over and simplifying things a lot because there are a LOT of different possible approaches and it varies depending on what sort of game you have and what you want to get out of it.