Matches and Matrimony (Pride and Prejudice Dating Sim)

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
hanako
Site Admin

Matches and Matrimony (Pride and Prejudice Dating Sim)

#1 Postby hanako » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Basically, this is a game that was started a long while ago, inspired (iirc) by Summer Session, but has only now been released. As far as I know it's only available through Amazon right now, and therefore probably only to windows users in the US.

But at least when I last played the working demo a few years back, it was VERY similar to Summer Session, except with a girl in a Jane Austen sort of world. Choose your activities, raise your stats, interact with people, and check your current relationships at the end of each time period.

More information and download available here

deb44

#2 Postby deb44 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 am

i like this game, too bad i can't buy it yet

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Postby hanako » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:42 am

This game is only $2 this week on Amazon as part of their giant casual games black friday discount thingy.

kyoli

#4 Postby kyoli » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:37 pm

for only 2 dollars there is no way i can pass that up!
guess i will see what i think as i play it! ^_^
i love being able to get games for cheap! ^_^

kyoli

#5 Postby kyoli » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm

you know because of that post i have now spent 10 dollars on amazon and gotten a total of 5 games! ^_^

i <3 you hanako! ^_^

Margaret-K

#6 Postby Margaret-K » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

I loved this game! I'm a fan of Jane Austen so this game was especially apealing to me!

Roses

Matches & Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

#7 Postby Roses » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Become the heroine of Jane Austen's most popular novels! Create your own storyline from the intersecting stories of 3 of Miss Austen's books as you pick your daily routine and choose your own path to happiness and fortune. With 9 different endings to be discovered, Matches & Matrimony can be played again and again as you create your own classic tale of romance.

9 Different endings!
Hours of replayability!
6 suitors to pursue!
3 Novels in one game!
Thoughtful & provocative gameplay!
Emotionally stirring Music!

It's a really wonderful game, of course it could be tweaked quite a bit, I would've liked to be able to move around on my own and be able to earn skills in other ways, but the whole story aspect is wonderful and the choices you make actually have meaning, that means if you say the wrong thing once it closes the door on several different options, I love that you actually have to think about it. But yes it could be tweaked, however I really love it so I thought I would share it and also ask that if anybody who has played it, has found similar games?

DarthSnuggles

#8 Postby DarthSnuggles » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 am

This is a very good game, and quite fun, but I think it's definitely aimed at Jane Austen fans. If you're not familiar with or not a fan of her novels, I suspect it will be harder to appreciate the game. (I *am* a fan, so it's tough to say how someone who isn't would like this game.) I have to admit, it was charming to be able to woo my favorite Austen heroes.

The gameplay itself is petty simple, and it's not hard to get most of the endings. You might have some trouble with the "good" Wickeby ending, but as long as you remember to save periodically, it shouldn't be too difficult. Honestly, the game reminds me a bit of "Long Live The Queen," but not nearly as brutal in terms of difficulty. There are certain stat values that you need to have by certain times in order to pass events, but the game is very good about telling you what you should have done if you fail.

The only complaint I have about the game is that there isn't a lot of variation in the storyline when you're pursuing different men. The game seems to be based heavily on "Pride & Prejudice," and it definitely shows. Mr. Darcy's storyline is by far the most developed, and the dialogue and descriptions quote heavily from the novel. If you're a Darcy fan, as I am, that's a wonderful thing, and the game definitely does the source material justice. On the other hand, if you prefer, say, "Persuasion," or "Emma," you may be disappointed.

Overall, I'd recommend the game for Austen aficionados, or those who REALLY love the Regency setting, but otherwise, there may be a better game out there for you.

Roses

#9 Postby Roses » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

This is actually more a reply to DarthSnuggles:
I agree with you on some points, but to be fair you certainly play the game without having read the books, I actually had never read the books before I played the game, the game was actually the thing that made me interested in Jane Austen :-)
So to everybody who wants to play it, but isn't certain because they haven't read the books: Play it! :-) You will still be able to follow and love the game and you may even get interested in the books :-)

marunero

:(

#10 Postby marunero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 pm

I played this game a long time ago. The art wasn't bad or anything, but the setting was so WRONG! I wonder if the creator knows the difference between Victorian and Regency. It's an outright slander to genuine fans of Jane Austen. This is going to be a history nerd rant because I really hate it when writers don't do enough research. Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble was also a good game, but many of the elements and references in the game are just so anachronistic! Right from the description: "In a backward town like Brigiton, USA, the only hope for change are young women who admire Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Myrna Loy, and Barbara Stanwyck on the silver screen..." What the heck, these actresses weren't even famous until the 30's! Grr...if I see a "historically"-themed game in the future it better be correct.

On the side note, I thought it was hilarious that they combined Wickham and Willoughby. :lol:

Return to “Affiliate Games”