999: 9 Hours, 9 People, 9 Doors

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
Sara

999: 9 Hours, 9 People, 9 Doors

#1 Post by Sara » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 pm

It's a mystery visual novel for the DS, from the writer of Ever 17. If you like mystery and if you liked Ever 17, you should try this, as it is pretty similar (same style, same crazy theories). I really love this game. :D

Trailer/opening animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRkOFtcxYI

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah, I've blogged about this one a bit but I don't have it yet. I expect to pick it up for/after Christmas.

There's also a flash demo which teases an introduction to the setting and has a few puzzles.

(Amazon link here - excellent reviews so far!)

Sara

#3 Post by Sara » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 am

It also got a 10/10 rating from destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/review-nine- ... 7838.phtml

It's definitely a great game. The story is not as complex as, let's say, Ever17, but the puzzles make up for it. My first VN with puzzles/mini-games was Fatal Hearts, and since I played FH I keep thinking that they're such a cool addition... I don't get why the mini-game aspect is not more popular among japanese VNs, because I really like puzzles! :3

Spazzbunny

#4 Post by Spazzbunny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:27 am

Just finished playing it yesterday, and I loved it. As expected, it had a fantastic storyline and cast of characters. The true ending was a bit predictable once you had gotten the prerequisite one, but all in all it was pretty good. The puzzles weren't too hard, but were challenging enough to make you think. It helped that you could usually find a few hints by examining things in each room better.

I'd definitely reccomend it, but I'd also reccomend using a guide to get the endings, because, frankly, there are too many combinations of doors to bother fumbling through. ^^;

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Post by hanako » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:42 am

and also because even if you play in an optimal fashion, if you're obsessed with the story, that is PAINFUL for the fingers! :)

(There ARE skip-read and auto-play functions, but they require holding down a button. Constantly. Ow. I wanted to hit every ending but I definitely didn't want to do any more playthroughs than I had to.)

Also a small warning for some - that M rating plays into some *really gross* descriptions of gore at a couple of points. You'll probably know when it's coming...

Spazzbunny

#6 Post by Spazzbunny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:32 am

xD See, I just used my stylus to hold down the button. Much, much simpler, and much less pain.

Not to mention the abundance of cursing. Oh, Santa, Santa, Santa. I understand you're a bit of a punk, but every time you talk? Really?

I still find it amusing that the same writers who made those wonderfully gorey descriptions also wrote so many ridiculous puns and ladder jokes.

Sara

#7 Post by Sara » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:29 pm

hanako wrote:Also a small warning for some - that M rating plays into some *really gross* descriptions of gore at a couple of points. You'll probably know when it's coming...
I didn't think it was that bad, personally. A lot worse than Ever17 (which I don't remember having any gore), but still bearable. But I love horror stories and gore.

But it was nothing compared to, let's say, Chaos;Head. Now that was disturbing. Still an amazing VN, though.

Muse

#8 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 am

I love the game. I couldn't believe when I went into GameStop today and saw it new for 35$. Everywhere else has asked for 70$+. (Edit: apparently amazon dropped it to 40.)

I am so enjoying it, even though I haven't played Ever 17 (really want to though).

Spazzbunny

#9 Post by Spazzbunny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:35 am

Muse wrote:I love the game. I couldn't believe when I went into GameStop today and saw it new for 35$. Everywhere else has asked for 70$+. (Edit: apparently amazon dropped it to 40.)
O.O I don't even want to know where you shop/how your amazon works. When I log in, it wants $11.50 for it. That's a really scary difference.
Last edited by Spazzbunny on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muse

#10 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Spazzbunny wrote:
Muse wrote:I love the game. I couldn't believe when I went into GameStop today and saw it new for 35$. Everywhere else has asked for 70$+. (Edit: apparently amazon dropped it to 40.)
O.O I don't even want to know where you shop/how your amazon works. When I log in, it wants $11.50 for it. That a really scary difference.
Wow. Well as I said, the price dropped dramatically. I swear I saw it for 75USD somewhere though.

Either way, if I'm wrong, it just meant I was more ecstatic when I found it. XD No biggie!

Speaking of which, may I ask, where did you fans of Ever17/Never11 (or whatever it's called?) purchase your games? I love 999, and would like to look into works by the same person.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:14 pm

I bought Ever17 when it first came out in English (Two copies actually! One was for a friend.) But the company that had the English rights (Hirameki) folded that branch of their operations, so once it sold out it was gone.

The rights to Yo-Jin-Bo somehow, thankfully, ended up in the hands of Jlist/Jast and it's still on sale as a download. For whatever reason they haven't made any other games available that way. I assume the original rights-holder wasn't willing to sublicense but I don't actually know that.

Remember 11 has an unofficial patch which I still haven't TESTED because I didn't want to jump straight into another such game right after finishing 999. The game itself you'd have to track down through international orders, though. Jlist doesn't have any more in stock but the listing says they can order more on request.

If I hear of more that are easy to come by, I'll announce them...

You may also be interested in this:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/28/ev ... fter-days/
But there's not much information on that yet.

Muse

#12 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Thank you Hanako! I guess that explains why Ever17 in English goes for like 200USD....

Ohhh that game looks interesting. It looks kind of in the feel of 999 too, or related to it, from what little I know about the "true" plot of 999: I only got Submarine ending so far. Going for a second one today!