Academagia - The Making of Mages (Magical School Sim)

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
hanako
Site Admin

#16 Postby hanako » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, if you don't know where you bought it from then nobody can really help. If you're pretty sure you bought it directly then if you talk to the game makers they can try to look you up in the records by either your email address or your last name... if you bought it through impulse or something it's a different set of people you'd have to talk to.

kyoli

#17 Postby kyoli » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

well i found it through this site on this forum. i know that much and i have like two different paypal emails that could be the possible reicept but it doesn't actually saw what it was for just that it made a payment to bmtmicro which doesn't really help i don't think :(

hanako
Site Admin

#18 Postby hanako » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 pm

If you know the name and the email address it was bought under sellers can generally look it up even if you don't have the exact order number or receipt. You just need to talk to them and give them the information you DO have and let them try to sort it out from there. :)

Try writing to info@academagia.com

kyoli

#19 Postby kyoli » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:52 pm

thanks hanako! don't know if i have told you this before or not but you are the greatest! ^_^

Margaret-K

#20 Postby Margaret-K » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 pm

I am basically in love with this game!

HinekoAkahi

#21 Postby HinekoAkahi » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:59 pm

In other news, since last year there's a demo! For those who have thought of trying it but didn't because of reasons...

Also, I am a little confused. Someone on the first page said that they didn't like the fact that this game 'lasts for five years' and that they'd have to pay 100 bucks because of that. Am I missing something? Because I went to their website and couldn't find any hints of sequels or something like that, only the DLC, and that's free.

On note of their website, Hanako, I noticed that both links in the first post lead to the BMT Micro Shopping option. Do you think you could fix one of them to link to their website instead?

Thanks for hearing a newbie out~

hanako
Site Admin

#22 Postby hanako » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Also, I am a little confused. Someone on the first page said that they didn't like the fact that this game 'lasts for five years' and that they'd have to pay 100 bucks because of that. Am I missing something? Because I went to their website and couldn't find any hints of sequels or something like that, only the DLC, and that's free.

They are planning sequels as far as I know, they just haven't finished any yet, especially as they've been busy adding DLC to the first game.

Hanako, I noticed that both links in the first post lead to the BMT Micro Shopping option.

That's intentional. :)

'Affiliate games' means games written by other people that I get a share of the profits if I promote the games and help sell them. But I only get affiliate credit if someone clicks through a BMT link, gets that cookie set, and then buys the game through BMT.

If they go straight to the website, no cookie.
If they buy from somewhere else, no credit.

I'm not massively paranoid about that sort of thing, I know I will 'lose' some sales and it's not a big deal. Still, that's why the links you see in the top of a topic will be BMT links.

At the moment they haven't added their demo to BMT so I can't link to that with a cookie either.

HinekoAkahi

#23 Postby HinekoAkahi » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Alright, thanks for clearing that up ^^

RosesandAshes

#24 Postby RosesandAshes » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Maaaan, I can't seem to decide between this game and Cinders! (I know, two completely different games, right?) I played both demos and I both love and hate the complexity of this game, on the one hand, it's complex, on the other hand, it's complex!

DarthSnuggles

#25 Postby DarthSnuggles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:05 pm

I recently bought this game after reading and loving the Let's Play by Bobbin Threadbare over on the Something Awful forums, and I'm really enjoying it. In my experience, the demo doesn't give you a very good sense of the game, because it's a half-hour demo, but by the time I finished making a character, the time was up.

This game is a lot of fun if you're the kind of person who really enjoys stat-heavy simulation games like Princess Maker or Long Live the Queen. Also, like Long Live the Queen, this game has a pretty steep learning curve; not because it was intentionally designed to be difficult, but because there are literally hundreds of skills and stats to choose from, and it is utterly impossible to be good at everything. Fortunately, there's a really well put together Wiki that explains what each skill and attribute actually does, and the relations between them. Understanding that goes a long way towards succeeding in the game events.

This is also a very, very deep game in the sense that the player is more or less in charge of the game experience. It's a great game for role-play, because your actions and choices, not only in events but in planning your daily activities, strongly dictate how the character will grow. It's possible to go through the entire game experiencing no more adventures than what random events throw in your path, excelling at your classes and playing a fairly normal student life. (As normal as life for a mage-in-training can be, anyway.) Or, you could go in completely the opposite direction and seek trouble and bold action at every turn, which would give you a much more Harry Potter-style, adventurous hero experience. You can form your own coalition of pranksters and rogues and spread terror and green slime throughout the Academagia, or spend all your time playing fetch with your familiar, digging in the school gardens, or crafting items. Become an athletic star! Duel everyone who looks at you sideways! The choice really is yours.

The one thing this game lacks, which may or may not make a difference in how you spend your money, is a central narrative. I don't know if the developers have plans for more storyline action down the line, but currently, all of the story occurs in self-contained adventures and random events, and in whatever your imagination does to weave those things together. So if you really need a game to be story-driven, well, this isn't the game for you. It's also worth noting that some events in game are still quite buggy, so if that bothers you, well, buyer beware. I haven't noticed any really crippling glitches--mostly just minor issues like rewards not being given where they should be.

All that said, I really enjoy Academagia, as both a roleplaying opportunity and as a very well fleshed-out world. If you're into world-building, you will absolutely LOVE the amount of lore available for you peruse throughout the game. To be honest, the world of Elumia is so well fleshed out that entire novels could be (and perhaps have been, I haven't delved much into the fan base) written just about the lives of Academagia students. For a fan of both fantasy and school-life genres, this game is heaven.

Overall, my only lasting complaint with this game is the size of the text--I'd guess the font to be 9 or 10 point, which is just a tad too small for reading comfortably, especially for the reams of important text the game includes. Other than that issue, I'd give Academagia a 4.5 out of 5.

Hesquidor

#26 Postby Hesquidor » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 pm

About a central narrative - The devs have mention on their forum that some of the Adventure chains will continue on into the sequels. Things like beingblackmailed by the Watcher or working with the guard captain or the pirates. So it does seem like something they're planning to work on for the future.

hanako
Site Admin

#27 Postby hanako » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Seen elseforum:

In celebration of our new Kickstarter, Holdfast: A Gamebook of Dwarven Vengeance, we have the following promotion:

Use code "HOLDFAST" to get 40% off any Black Chicken game, when purchased directly from us on BMT

So that deal should apply to:

1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum

and

Academagia

I assume this is only good for a limited time, so grab it while you can!

Henny

Re: Academagia - The Making of Mages (Magical School Sim)

#28 Postby Henny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:24 am

I just bought this game from your BMT link, but when I submitted my order I must have double clicked because it only said DUPLICATE SUBMISSION on the next page. There wasn't anything else; no link, and I haven't gotten an email despite it having been 15 minutes now. What should I do?

hanako
Site Admin

#29 Postby hanako » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:18 am

Might want to email orders@bmtmicro.com and explain what game you were trying to buy and roughly when (and any other identifying information about your order) and see if they can find it and figure out what went wrong. I believe their staff is on Eastern time so it'll be sometime tomorrow before they look at it.

Henny

#30 Postby Henny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks, hanako!

Return to “Affiliate Games”