Affiliation Question?

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
RLVampire

Affiliation Question?

#1 Post by RLVampire » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:36 am

I don't know where this might fit in this forum, though I have a very serious question to ask Hanako and also wanting to see how this community would view this step if it is possible.

I think all of your games should be available on Steam, the distribution network. I don't have a business degree, nor do I have any experience with these kinds of matters but I think if its viable it would be an excellent way to market and sell more of your works of art.

I think this would be a great idea minus any of the unknown legal or business matters I am unaware of.There are millions of people using this server and I am seeing a greater amount of casual games making there way onto Steam.

I have been playing your games for the last few years and they have been a childhood memory of mine, I think getting your game out to the masses would be a very viable option since the casual game market is going very strong.

I think steam would be an excellent idea because one, it allows you to download the game anywhere, with a legit account. The " drm " steam uses is not the invasive kind most companies use and should you not have an internet connection you can still play offline and there is little chance of ever completely losing your ability to play the game. Finally, I think if steam is willing to sell your games, it wouldn't be too hard for them to forward a receipt with the user-name, date of purchase, and possibly your email to ensure that you Hanako have records.

What does the community here, think of my idea? I am a college student with no formal background in business, this is just an idea.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Unfortunately, Steam is not an open marketplace.

Developers can't simply choose to sell their games there. Pretty much they have to contact you and invite you. (Not completely - you can ask them - but many people who ask don't even get the courtesy of a reply to say 'no'.)

If you'd like my games - or anyone else's games! - to be sold on steam, the best thing to do is pester STEAM about it, and organise other users to do the same. If enough customers ask them for the games they'll probably be willing to sell them. Maybe. :)

RLVampire

#3 Post by RLVampire » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I have and I implore everyone on this forum who reads this post to do the same and to pass it along to any of your friends, especially those on steam.

http://kotaku.com/5620259/steam-sale-saves-developer

Not that you need to be saved, but case in point that if we can get on steam , possibly on the front page as a " New Developer " or " New Addition " to their growing catalog that you could probably start figuring out where you want to retire? :D ;) :D

WodashGSJ

#4 Post by WodashGSJ » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm

I have to say, if Reccetear is a big success, I'd expect that to increase the chances of games like Hanako's getting onto Steam in the future. And given how addictive the demo is, there's a good chance it will do well.

Indalecio

#5 Post by Indalecio » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Having played Recettear, it certainly deserves to be a big success. I've laughed my myself almost off my chair a couple times at the dialogue, and the game is very well polished.