Shira Oka: Second Chances

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
sayuri

Shira Oka: Second Chances

#1 Post by sayuri » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:19 am

Shira Oka is still alive! It's a bishoujo game but the interface is so slick I don't care. Reminds me of an English PC version of Love Plus. There is a demo version that was released two weeks ago. Here's a link to their site:
http://www.shira-oka.com/

Muse

#2 Post by Muse » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Oh my gosh! The demo is out?!? *squealllll* Thank you so much for telling us! *skips off to download*

Naiomi666

yay

#3 Post by Naiomi666 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:09 am

yay! Does anyone know how close to release they are? Cause i have been wanting to play this game for a long time.

sayuri

#4 Post by sayuri » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 am

Well it took them five years to come out with a demo spanning 3 game months. At this rate they'll probably be done in... 100 years :P. I actually have no clue when they'll be done, but everything looks pretty solid so it shouldn't be terribly long.

Muse

#5 Post by Muse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 am

sayuri wrote:Well it took them five years to come out with a demo spanning 3 game months. At this rate they'll probably be done in... 100 years :P. I actually have no clue when they'll be done, but everything looks pretty solid so it shouldn't be terribly long.
I don't think they are sure, but I believe the game is mostly done, just balancing and tweaks are left.

liz4187

#6 Post by liz4187 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am

they are doing beta testing right now and have been for a bit, so if I could guess, I would probably say it will be out by the end of the year.

J_Yum1978

#7 Post by J_Yum1978 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:23 pm

The beta testing has been completed. There is a 2nd extended demo version. Try it out!!

Muse

#8 Post by Muse » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:13 am

J_Yum1978 wrote:The beta testing has been completed. There is a 2nd extended demo version. Try it out!!
In addition to that, they posted earlier that a public release date should be available soon. :D

(I was one of the beta testers, btw, so I can say that the game is definitely worth your patience! I can also say the team worked very hard, so I know they hope you all enjoy it!)

J_Yum1978

#9 Post by J_Yum1978 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Yupyup!! I love the game and I will be buying it for sure!! I'm also planning to buy two more games from Winter Wolves/Tycoon Games sometime next month. So many games to buy but not enough money. Gotta save, save, save!!

Aletea

#10 Post by Aletea » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 am

The game just came out yesterday! You can buy it on Impulse. I'm trying out the demo now, to see if I want to buy it :)

Aletea

#11 Post by Aletea » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Okay, I definitely recommend this game to people! The demo gives you a taste of it, but there is an incredibly amount of depth to the game that doesn't start to show as much until you've made a couple of 'cycles' - there are some undercurrents that are very interesting :)....as a result, there's a high re-play value.

emichan

#12 Post by emichan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 am

i heard it was too hard and everyone fails all the time and has to start over :(

Muse

#13 Post by Muse » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:04 am

emichan wrote:i heard it was too hard and everyone fails all the time and has to start over :(
They are adding an easy mode, but you also get a tiny bonus for doing it in regular mode. :D

It also depends on who you are going for. People like Rena and Alice have pretty easy endings, but others like Yui, Kiku, and Kazuki have very hard ones. They also vary in different ways, so one you might have to be more popular, another good at sports, etc etc. Generally it's just making the right choices and doing tasks that people assign, though.

Aletea

#14 Post by Aletea » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 am

Well, I think kind of the point is to start over :) your character does really poorly the first time - and gets reset back to the beginning when he fails. My first run through, my guy was on his fifth cycle (what they call it when you reset to the beginning - with your stats intact, and the knowledge you've gained!) before he achieved an ending. I had 1 reset that was due to lack of knowledge (a reset everyone gets pretty early on), 2 resets due to poor grades, and 1 reset due to a lack of socializing.

But reseting is what makes the game interesting! It's not like most visual novels where replaying it is exactly the same - things are different based on the knowledge you've gained, and your relationships with the characters.

The game is not just a basic, boring highschool game. There is a ton more depth there.

And...a little hint to some people who like this sort of thing~ there are two guys in the game (other than the main character). And word on the Shira Oka forums is that you can get endings with them...they're left purposefully ambiguous, but someone who knows what they are looking for will see it :) (I haven't managed to get their endings yet, since I've only gotten Alice's so far, so this is word of mouth).

Naiomi666

ok!

#15 Post by Naiomi666 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

So i like the game. i completed 1 of the guys endings. It was pretty much a friendship ending. The thing i like about this game is that when you do go back you retain the knowledge of what happened so sometimes your not reading the same thing over and over.

What really bugs me about this game though is the lack of hints when it comes to stats you need. I hate investing into music because a character likes it and then find out in the last section of the game that i needed strength as well, and they send me back to the beginning of the game.

There is a continuing storyline conflict in the game that is going to make you play it over and over so you can resolve it.