Fading Hearts - Unusual dating sim with RPG twist

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
hanako
Site Admin

Fading Hearts - Unusual dating sim with RPG twist

#1 Post by hanako » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:24 pm

(No relation to Fatal Hearts. Just slightly similar title. :) )

The basic plot starts roughly that you're a guy with no parents (orphaned in a disaster!) and two close female friends. He likes one, but she's got a boyfriend, and it's the other girl who likes him. Perfectly normal school life love triangle, except that he has rather odd dreams, and there are monsters in the forest, and reports of magical girl sightings, and rumors of a secret society, and someone claims your friend's boyfriend is abusive... But everything's FINE, really, carry on!

I call this an 'unusual' game because most dating sims have a fairly set plot with key stages along the way, but this game is designed to be more open-ended. There are a lot of different elements to focus on (like the RPG stuff) which can make your paths through the game wildly different depending on what you chose, and some of the endings can be quite tricky to achieve.

Often on the silly side, with a lot of references to otaku culture...

It's not perfect, but it's a first effort by a new English developer and it's got pretty character art. Some people really dig it, some people don't. If you've got the time, check out the demo here and see what you think.

Muse

#2 Post by Muse » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 am

Is there a main website for it? I tried cutting some of the url with the demo link, but kept getting a bunch of invalid websites, and I'd love to see more info. And google didn't help much.

Thanks so much for linking the demo, though! I've been needing more to play while waiting for your latest, and this looks like it will keep me occupied! The art is sooo gorgeous....

Thanks!

*Edit: nvm found the buy full game link in the game itself, now I feel silly*

Cheers, and thanks again Hanako. This looks like just the kind of game I've been wanting to play! It's got some annoying typos though... But otherwise I find it interesting.

liz4187

#3 Post by liz4187 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:34 pm

very fun game, only complaint is that it mostly branches out right at the beginning so my save files didn't really help much and I would have to start with a new game.

sayuri

#4 Post by sayuri » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Oh, I have this game. Unfortunately I'm one of the people that don't like it. I just didn't know what was going on most of the time :?. Even when I followed a walkthrough I had a lot of trouble. It's kinda like all these disjointed stories mashed together with no explanation. I think Fading Hearts is the visual novel equivalent of an experimental independent film. I don't mean to badmouth it but the reviews I found seemed really one-sided, and the way the website describes it is misleading. I support small developers and won't stop anyone from buying it but Fading Hearts just left me confused :(. I know a lot of people like it though so I may be the minority :roll:.

Sakura River

#5 Post by Sakura River » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:07 pm

sayuri wrote:Oh, I have this game. Unfortunately I'm one of the people that don't like it. I just didn't know what was going on most of the time :?. Even when I followed a walkthrough I had a lot of trouble. It's kinda like all these disjointed stories mashed together with no explanation. I think Fading Hearts is the visual novel equivalent of an experimental independent film. I don't mean to badmouth it but the reviews I found seemed really one-sided, and the way the website describes it is misleading. I support small developers and won't stop anyone from buying it but Fading Hearts just left me confused :(. I know a lot of people like it though so I may be the minority :roll:.
Did you get the patch? It fixed some issues such as a bug such as the secret character not giving more information after the initial meeting. That person provides a lot more insights to what is going on although not everything.

Indalecio

#6 Post by Indalecio » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 am

I just played the demo, and then went through the main game twice. Its pretty good, though, I as someone who like 100% completion, I never have enough time to max out stats. Nevermind, you don't really need too, but...

Anyway, I think I figured out most things, but, (SPOILERS) is there any way to save Sophia?(END SPOILERS)

Muse

#7 Post by Muse » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:29 am

Indalecio wrote:I just played the demo, and then went through the main game twice. Its pretty good, though, I as someone who like 100% completion, I never have enough time to max out stats. Nevermind, you don't really need too, but...

Anyway, I think I figured out most things, but, (SPOILERS) is there any way to save Sophia?(END SPOILERS)
Sorry for the super late reply, but I figured I'd answer this anyway. No, you can't, as far as I know; I have gotten all endings according to the game and none of them involved that part.

Honestly, the art was great, for me, but the story was bland... it just felt like they could of done a bunch of twists in it and ended up doing the most obvious choices. However, the plot is decent enough, and the stat raiser and sub stories are fun and cute.

I wanted to say that they added a rewrite patch, done by one of the Sake Visual team members!

Indalecio

#8 Post by Indalecio » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:21 am

What disappointed me was that house in the middle of the forest. There's a couple things you can do there, but there doesn't seem to be any effect from them.

I think I might've got the rewrite patch, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, I'm not particularly inclined to play through again unless they've added some major content.

Muse

#9 Post by Muse » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 am

Indalecio wrote:What disappointed me was that house in the middle of the forest. There's a couple things you can do there, but there doesn't seem to be any effect from them.

I think I might've got the rewrite patch, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, I'm not particularly inclined to play through again unless they've added some major content.
Agreed. Even though I love SakeVisual games, I haven't really felt inclined to play it again just because they rewrote it: I doubt they could of made the scenes more mysterious when we've all ready beaten it. So far they have released two patches, one being a first patch, and then one called the rewrite patch that is linked on the main page.

irinack

#10 Post by irinack » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:08 am

The game has a wondeful art and I really like it because of that. But the paths for different endings are messed up(in my opinion). I played the game like 10 times and I only got 2 endings. And I don't think there are only 2. I haven't been able to find any walkthrough and I'm kinda disappointed.

Ellume

#11 Post by Ellume » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:02 pm

There used to be a walkthrough of sorts, but then something happened to their forum. There are definately more then 2 endings, and I also agree that some of the endings seem hard to get. Unfortunately I don't remember the game enough in order to give any suggestions to help with getting more endings.

Muse

#12 Post by Muse » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah, there was a sort of walkthrough (although it was very confusing), on the forums, but then it appeared they got hacked and spammed, and taken down.

I can try to help with paths, as much as I can remember:
On one, you need to get the computer from Rina by raising her affection high enough. Then you need Alex to like you enough for the event for him to come over and see the computer.
There is one if you have high affection with Rina/her route, and low with Claire. Then one for high with Claire, low with Rina, and they each have positive endings with high for both of them (with the higher one being the route you get).
For Rina's endings, you have to fight monsters a lot. I reccomend saving frequently, and going into the forest after school and studying at night. Eventually you should run across a temple. I believe you also have to have high affection with Sophia.
Generally I talked to Sophia every day at Lunch, and called Claire and Rina all the time.
On another playthrough I called Claire and Rina all the time, and then went to the cosplay cafe at lunch all the time.

I hope those helped. It's been ages so my memory isn't great.

Wallstedt

#13 Post by Wallstedt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Been playing this game non stop since I got it but cant get a all the endings. :(
The comments in the end says I could use more help making money.
Crashed the bank and saved the bank so what should I do to earn more money?

Wonder about the house to, does it do anythin?
Sorry if I spoil it for someone...

Ellume

#14 Post by Ellume » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 pm

I seem to recall the best way to make money is to do just enough to save the bank and then invest in the indie game company.

The house in the forest must do something... Wish I knew what.

Wallstedt

#15 Post by Wallstedt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Making money, think I need a dummy version...

Saving the bank which is like 3 on database thing right?
But then what? Indie game how much on each?

Other question, bit of a spoiler so
When you meet Meta-Ryou does he do anything, or does he just keep saying that he doesn't have time?