Visual Novels for iPod Touch/iPad?

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
Muse

Visual Novels for iPod Touch/iPad?

#1 Postby Muse » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi, sorry, I hope this is an ok spot to ask this!

Anyway I've been browsing for Visual Novels for the iPad/iPod touch lately, and was wondering if anyone else know of some, especially any "good" ones or ones they like.

Atm on the Japanese iTunes there is Kira*Kira and Gift in English versions. (Oddly they aren't on the US iTunes haha.) Their English is pretty good (although clearly not native, but legible, even if they can't seem to keep I and he correct), but my gosh, the games have soooooo much dialogue before they get going.

That being said the art and music is gorgeous and the characters are cute, from what I've played of the Lite versions.

Anyway I was wondering if people knew of any other good Visual Novels for these systems (In Japanese or English is fine, but I prefer English, same for either US or Japanese store)? Again sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but I couldn't figure out a better one. :lol:

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Postby hanako » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:02 pm

The only other game I think I've heard of that runs on those platforms is Surviving High School. Don't have an iphone/ipad myself though, so haven't played it.

Because of the new regulations that Apple has put into place banning all sorts of programs from even being allowed to apply to be on their appstore, though... I've heard of a few people who were intending to try porting to those markets that have had to give up now.

Muse

#3 Postby Muse » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 pm

hanako wrote:The only other game I think I've heard of that runs on those platforms is Surviving High School. Don't have an iphone/ipad myself though, so haven't played it.

Because of the new regulations that Apple has put into place banning all sorts of programs from even being allowed to apply to be on their appstore, though... I've heard of a few people who were intending to try porting to those markets that have had to give up now.

Ah I will look into it though, thank you.

Yeah I noticed that on the wiki page for these games they had to have H content removed to be allowed in the store. But that is fine by me hehehe.
To be honest I get the impression the Japanese app store is much more lax than the US one; it has way more apps and some of them are rather... risque...

On a side note now that I have played more... Kira*Kira's translation isn't too shabby really. But Gift's borders on horrible; it's perfectly understandable, but the tense shifting and other problems "it fits you like a gloves" can drive you insane if you are picky about that kind of thing. Also both are now in the US store. :D

I really want to like Gift; it apparently has a cute witch in it.. but it's hard with all the errors... Kira*Kira is very cute and fun though, but yeah, it has a ton of dialogue before the choices...

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Postby hanako » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 am

Here's another one I just heard about:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/renai-sh ... 62526?mt=8

SeikaHime

#5 Postby SeikaHime » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:36 am

Hi~ excuse me, not to be random...but~!
This one ---> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id378265813?mt=8
PINKY DISTORTION is quite good, though they haven't released a full version...
It looks very promising~! Since it's developed in Japan, by Kanon from An Cafe (I luff him <3)

Here's the official website if you want~ http://www.pinkydistortion.jp/pc_english/

Muse

#6 Postby Muse » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Ah that's what I get for not checking my own topic. Thanks so much you guys! <3

caddyalan

#7 Postby caddyalan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Renai Shugi had some typos and poor grammar, but overall I felt it was worth $3 US.

Also on iTunes, I found a visual novel called Twilight Cherry. It could've been a cute love triangle story, but it's remarkably unoriginal (the characters and setting seem pulled right from Da Capo). The English translation is pretty lousy... but if you can read it, the file contains the original Japanese writing.

My Neighbor Girl is on iTunes as well. It's a game in which the main character tutors a girl. The emphasis is on stats over story. This one not only has poor grammar, but the same voice actress performs the Japanese and English dialogue. It's obvious she doesn't speak English very well.

I'll look into Pinky Distortion soon.

Toshimi

#8 Postby Toshimi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:34 am

You should try "Higurashi When They Cry"
The first ep. is free and the story is pretty exciting
the only thing I didn't liked in this vn is that the graphics level are very poor, but it can be ignored. :)

You know... It's free :D... So install it now, right?

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Postby hanako » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Looks like there's a sort-of Western VN-sim for the iphone here:

http://www.gamezebo.com/iphone-games/cr ... out/review

Muse

#10 Postby Muse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am

Yay! More games to try.

I also found two short but free kinetic novels on there: Phantom Seeds by Zevia Inc. & Ripples by SakeVisual as well. (Ripples also has an iPad version <3)

As for Higurashi, I'm loving it so far! Yes there are typos but it's very legible. Also Pinky Distortion Ep 1 is out too.

There is another game series called Cause of Death: Can you catch the Killer? The title is horribly lame, but the artwork and writing are just fantastic. I'm not entirely sure why one app is free and another costs 2 bucks, but each weak EA is delivering a free update, which (might go out of cycle after the week, I'm unsure), and then costs 99 cents to get it after the week passes. It also apparently sends you ads about it. The free version, as far as I can tell, is missing the first case that you get with the paid one.

Oh, this is a bit old news, but the first Phoenix Wright game is on there as well. It ported well to the ipod but I can't help but feel the graphics look a bit worse than on the DS; however, it's very cheap.

Vera Blanc (both episodes) are also on the iPad/iPod Touch, but the iPod doesn't have the minigames, and the iPad has them, but some pretty hefty loading times. Still given how the games are only $5, it's worth considering.

Another game I found is a mix of a VN and a bartending game called Bar Oasis. I haven't gotten far in it (bit hard to do all the tilt work on an ipad and such) but it's a fun game and the art is great.

Thanks for the updates/other games, guys! *has gotten most all of the ones posted* :P

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Postby hanako » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/preceden ... 66308?mt=8

The little dual-language KN I blogged about appears to have an iversion as well.

Friska

#12 Postby Friska » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:16 am

I just downloaded a new otome game on the iphone 3g called "Heian Love", set in the Heian period (obviously) and you play as a girl who has just become a lady of the court.

It's 3.99, with an option of purchasing 3 more potential story lines for 4.99.

There are 5 endings per character (although there isn't too much variation in the storylines from ending to ending).

There is no sound or music, save for the opening, but the storyline and the graphics are excellent, in my humble opinion.

Dual language option Japanese/English included as well.

I personally really like it, though the price might be offputting to some. Still, it's fairly long, considering all the different storylines you can play through.

hanako
Site Admin

#13 Postby hanako » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:09 am

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/echoes-i ... 50183?mt=8

Is this a game, or is this just an anime guy saying random cheerup messages?

Muse

#14 Postby Muse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 pm

hanako wrote:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/echoes-in-my-heart/id393150183?mt=8

Is this a game, or is this just an anime guy saying random cheerup messages?

Hmm. It looks/sounds like it is just them saying cheerup phrases. XD (To be fair, the way the full app description is worded it's almost insulting.
"When consulting their friends and fiance, they often encounter down to earth comments like "It's your fault" even through the poor ladies' expectation was actually "My goodness! I just wanted them to pamper me!" and "All I wanted is their placation for me."
Uh what?)

I haven't tried this out, but I found a girlxboy dating sim called "Shall we Date?: Heian Love." It looks like it's set in feudal Japan, and at least from the description the English doesn't seem bad. The art is gorgeous too, and there is an iPad version.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id418501952

plasticfoodwrap

#15 Postby plasticfoodwrap » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm

yeah, i played Pirates in love, it was pretty good.. the only down part is the purchase. it lets you play the first chapter, but the first chapter's all you need to get addicted to it. have fun with it if you do end up choosing it. i wish there were more games like this in the US. the states doesn't have very many fun games besides the social network ones.

::there are differen't endings in Pirates in Love, depending on who you choose for your ideal character to fall for... i chose Eduardo, and i'm very happy with my ending, too broke to purchase the other stories.. i think when you download it though; the name of the app has an underscore in it. something "Kazen_??" i forgot, sorry, im not any help D:

Return to “Affiliate Games”