Jisei - Murder Mystery VN

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
hanako
Site Admin

Jisei - Murder Mystery VN

#1 Post by hanako » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 pm

A new game out for windows/mac/linux. You play a sort of psychic detective who was visiting his local coffee shop one day, and to his surprise nearly stumbled over a dead body... but who did it, and why?

Download the demo here to find out more.

The game is a bit short, with only three endings and one main location, but it does have full voice acting. Check out the demo and see what you think!

lill_sweetty

#2 Post by lill_sweetty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Just checked out the demo, and gosh... the production value! The game's art is gorgeous, the music tasteful, and the voices professional (at least, none of the voices are annoying, and there's no background noise). So if you're worried about the voices, don't be.

So far, it really looks like I'm going to buy it - after my exams. xD

Can you quantify how long the game is, Hanako, both first play through and altogether? Is it as long as sakevisual's Re:Alistair++? How much do the endings differ from each other - like, is it a different path, or really the same ending with some minor differences?

By the way, if any else is interested in purchasing, check out this post from the maker's blog:

http://sakevisual.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... ready.html

25% discount if you draw her some fanart (I emailed her about fanfic and she said okay too). With that, the game is around $12 - which seems to be a steal considering the production value and the fact that you're congratulating her work and funding her other free VNs. So unless the game is ridiculously short (say, only 3x longer than her free demo) , the price seems very good.

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:17 pm

IT'S OUT?!?! *freaks out* Finally! I've been waiting for this! :D

Well, I just got one of the three endings in Jisei. And all I can really say is that it looks like they are leaving it open for a sequel.

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 am

Yes, I believe she said they were considering making a series out of it if it went well.
Can you quantify how long the game is, Hanako, both first play through and altogether? Is it as long as sakevisual's Re:Alistair++? How much do the endings differ from each other - like, is it a different path, or really the same ending with some minor differences?
The author's word on the subject:
A single play through if you do everything right and nab the culprit on the first go is about an hour and a half. There are two distinct endings and a third one with many variations.

deb44

#5 Post by deb44 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:19 am

i love this game and 15 bucks is a good price for it :D

hrm i can't seem to get the other 2 endings, never mind i just got them lol

liz4187

#6 Post by liz4187 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:38 am

It was a nice game. I am looking forward to the series however I wish it had been a little longer. I am curious as to what the variation in one of the endings was, I got all three but didn't really see an opportunity for variation

Verothix

#7 Post by Verothix » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 am

I like it. I think than i m going to buy it.

lill_sweetty

#8 Post by lill_sweetty » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Alright. Just purchased and finished Jisei. It is definitely on the short side. About an afternoon's play I suppose, presuming you didn't finish the demo.

But that's fine. It's well-done in nearly every aspect, intriguing, and tight plot-wise (which is always the problem with mysteries). If it was a regular commercial release its length would definitely detract, but as it was done as a test, the money funds all the other awesome projects of sakevisual (*cough* my fave english otome EVER Re:Alistair), and I'm expecting the next one to be much longer, I'm letting pass.

sayuri

#9 Post by sayuri » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm sorta on the fence because it seems to be the same length as The Stolen Diamond Ring but over twice as expensive. I dunno. I might rationalize it as purchasing both Re:Alistair and this game. I'll probably buy it to support them, anyway :).

lill_sweetty

#10 Post by lill_sweetty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:09 am

But you shouldn't forget that Jisei is also fully voiced, which bumps up the price. Also, my personal opinion of Jisei is that it's very well-done... better than The Stolen Diamond Ring. It really feels like a professional release. So to me it's worth more.

Kind of sucks it wasn't longer though.... Maybe had the creator combined the first and second parts and then just sold the entire thing for $20, yeah?

Yup. I kind of rationalized it like that too. xD Which is what the creator wants, I think... As Jisei is part of the "green tea line".

Muse

#11 Post by Muse » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I agree, that is is a bit expensive, if you look at it solely for it's length/number of endings.

But considering the other games they have put out are the same quality, and free, I didn't mind. If they charged for each of them for that price I'd find it objectionable, of course, but I more consider this a "supporting the creators" deal.

I hope if/when the latter games come out they are a bit longer/more endings or cheaper, but at the moment, I don't mind the price.

hanako
Site Admin

#12 Post by hanako » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:18 pm

The sequel Kansei is now available - and is supposed to be at least twice as long. :)

Our psychic hero is summoned (along with several other people) to a rich man's house. WHAT A SURPRISE he ends up dead. But whodunnit?

Check it out!

Windows Demo

Mac Demo