Would you ever make a VN with gay male relationships?

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
KoiNoDensetsu

Would you ever make a VN with gay male relationships?

#1 Post by KoiNoDensetsu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 am

(I wasn't sure where to put this...)

One reason I love you guys so much is that you put LGBT characters in your games that avoid common stereotypes. Would you ever consider making a yaoi visual novel, but with realistic characters and a good story? One thing I hate about most yaoi is that the guys are all effeminate meat packs with little to no girl characters in the story. I want a game with gay characters, but without the usual fluffiness found in most yaoi. (I loved how Fatal Hearts was handled) Maybe there could be one or two female characters with endings to make things less of a "gay overload".

Would you ever consider creating a game like this? It would attract fans outside of your usual audience.

Sara

Re: Would you ever make a VN with gay male relationships?

#2 Post by Sara » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:53 am

Yeah, there's a thread on this. :wink:

http://hanakoforum.nfshost.com/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=464

But I do agree, I HATE feminine guys (on yaoi). I avoid these kind of games/anime like a bad plague. I like my yaoi with plenty of testosterone, thank you. x)
(I would suggest you play Togainu no Chi, if you haven't already, as it has no effeminate characters at all, and there's an english translation on the works (there's a patch out already). There are also many anime/manga like that for you (no feminine males).)
And to answer your question, ahah, I would love Hanako games to make something like this, but I think that yaoi is far from being one of their priorities. ;) Hanako game focuses mostly on GirlxBoy relationships. :wink: Which is totally fine. There are more BxB games out there than otome games, I think.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm not likely to write a VN that focuses on male/male relationships. That's not really my area of interest, so coming up with enough different dating possibilities and variations would probably leave me falling back on the painfully cliche, trying to guess what other people wanted me to say rather than having something to say for myself.

I wouldn't mind affiliating one if one were available, though.

Also, I do prefer to write games with female protagonists, which means that most of the time a yaoi pairing can never get more than the sidelights. There are some upcoming projects that will have at least a little m/m content in them, but it won't be the focus.

witchboy

#4 Post by witchboy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:10 pm

I think there are a lot more OTome games than Yaoi, at least that's what I've found. I wish there were more of both.
It's great that there are some m/m side content that will be included in upcoming games.

tamda

#5 Post by tamda » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:10 pm

:lol: CK:Kingdom by Hanako games actually has a gay couple, who are most assuredly not girly, and a transgender, that you basically run off and marry in an ending, and a shojo-ai ending. That has them staying happily married and even raising a son!!! OMG YAY! I mean uh, not that I said anything. Nope.
Why oh why do I spend so much time on life sims?
Oh, cause they're cute.
And fun. Oh, and oh yeah, I have no life besides work and games. Ahh.
It explains so much!

k24601

#6 Post by k24601 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 am

I like the "fluffy" stories and "effeminate" men in anime / manga style games.

There's only a very few certain kind of "manly men" that I like and even then I don't like them to be a certain way when they talk and stuff....it's kinda hard to explain.

"I think there are a lot more otome games...."

Sort of , if you mean translated or pure english games...but at the same time I feel that right now there's still nowhere near the amount I would like to see of otome , yaoi, original / unique, yuri ect. games. While there's quite a few games out already ( if one knows where to look...heh ) but...

But yeah, I think that on the whole I agree with you at least if you're talking about untranslated games...
There's a whole slew of otome and other games though that just need a good dedicated translation group (and / or to be legally translated and ported to america and not just on one particular thing but on as many consoles as possible and copies for pc and mac .....I hate it when people limit their things to only the newest phones / consoles! I feel for the people who have macs because some pc games are pc only so they don't get to play certain titles )

If you add all the untranslated and "not yet available in America" along with the english ones and the translated ones....yes...that's a LOT of otome games. But seeing as how they're being stupid and not releasing older titles and other titles but instead are releasing only newer/certain ones...no , it's not a lot right now.

But I completely agree that we do need more otome and yaoi games here. (along with various other kinds of games that don't get enough love here - for example "raising" sims and we need more games like dragon age , mass effect , and fallout where you are given quite a bit of freedom deciding how you want to handle various situations / events and how you want your character to look along with what gender the character is....)