New anime romance game - Yo-Jin-Bo, The Bodyguards!

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
hanako
Site Admin

New anime romance game - Yo-Jin-Bo, The Bodyguards!

#1 Post by hanako » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Now available in download edition!

Long ago, in feudal Japan, a princess was assassinated. Over a hundred years later, an ordinary schoolgirl finds a magical pendant that transports her into the past, where she takes the place of the princess and must try to find a way to prevent her death and change history. To help her, she has three handsome bodyguards, Yo, Jin, and Bo...

This is a BIG game (it was originally sold on CD but it went out of print) and there is no demo version, so the only way to play is to download the whole thing. It's a visual-novel style game (like Fatal Hearts without the puzzles) with full Japanese voice acting, and it has versions for both PC and Macintosh.

For more information, pictures of the characters, screenshots, etc, click here.

Biawog

#2 Post by Biawog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 pm

I think this game must be REALLY interesting but I don't think there is anyway I can get it D:.... It seems so cool,I wish I had my own credit card >_<!

deb44

#3 Post by deb44 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:46 pm

hrm, it looks good, but i really wish there was a demo, cause i don't feel like spend $$$ and finding out that i don't like it

Naiomi666

ok

#4 Post by Naiomi666 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:31 am

ok so i bought the game because i wanted to play it for a while. Bought it yesterday and haven't received it yet. I don't think i will be getting this game until Monday. If anyone buys the game do not buy it during the weekend or you will be stuck waiting.

muzzy

Re: ok

#5 Post by muzzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 am

Naiomi666 wrote:ok so i bought the game because i wanted to play it for a while. Bought it yesterday and haven't received it yet. I don't think i will be getting this game until Monday. If anyone buys the game do not buy it during the weekend or you will be stuck waiting.
This game looked like it had an interesting story so let us know, otherwise, I prefer actual games that aren't IF fiction. I'm so happy that hanako is going to be distributing a console RPG with what I hope is a story but some of the IF stories bore me with the whole "click, click. click."

Naiomi666

Re: ok

#6 Post by Naiomi666 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:04 am

[/quote] This game looked like it had an interesting story so let us know, otherwise, I prefer actual games that aren't IF fiction. I'm so happy that hanako is going to be distributing a console RPG with what I hope is a story but some of the IF stories bore me with the whole "click, click. click."[/quote]

i know what you mean about the "click." That's why i use the space bar or enter key. It makes less noise.

deb44

#7 Post by deb44 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:36 am

i bought it also, i hate waiting lol

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:45 am

Yeah, those guys really need to update their system so that they can process orders on the weekends! They approve orders manually, so they only do it during office hours in Japan.

People keep complaining about it, so hopefully eventually they will get with the times.

Naiomi666

intresting

#9 Post by Naiomi666 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:29 pm

one more word of advice, since they send products manually don't buy it on a Friday to because in japan its already Saturday. I thought i was so smart buying it on a Friday, avoiding because i thought i bought it before the weekend... :cry:

deb44

#10 Post by deb44 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:58 am

jeesh, it is getting kinda confusing lol

Naiomi666

ok

#11 Post by Naiomi666 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:49 am

OK i played two routes of the game and here are my thoughts.

1! its a good game with 6 different guys. yes there's replay value but sometimes there are some common themes so the game feels repeatable. Easy solution to that, just take long break and play again. Anything to make the game feel fresh.

2! i cannot believe i am recommending this but use a walkthrough when playing this game. There was a time in which all three choices led to my death and it wasn't until i used a guide that i realized i had to go back and change ONE choice so i wouldn't die. Kind of frustrating.

3.) most satisfying endings ever. filled with fluff but not too much fluff so your not thinking "damn this is cheesy!" They're so romantic!

The only bad thing about this games story is the dialogue sometimes. When they talk about mickey mouse and star wars it kind of breaks the atmosphere of old time japan. But overall good game!

liz4187

#12 Post by liz4187 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:34 pm

yeah I agree. I have the mac version of the game and the dialogue was a little to zany for me to take the game seriously. I love the pictures and endings but as far as replay goes it does get very repetitive just because there is so much dialogue in each scene. My one big issue was just the dialogue, if it had been a little more serious I don't think I would have minded repeating the scenes as much. It got to the point where i just would click with out reading the dialogue just to get to a choice.

akashacatbat

#13 Post by akashacatbat » Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm

LOVE this game. I managed to find a copy of it awhile back and have replayed it several times. A walkthrough is definitley a must, unless you want to find out all the different ways you can die.

Other than being killed, there are 12 different endings, a "good" and a "bad" ending for each guy. After you have done all of the official endings, an additional little vignette is accessible from the menu. It also has the autoskip function, which I find useful for flying past dialogue you've already seen.

I've spent many hours on this game. It's not perfect, but it's definitely entertaining and well worth the money.

aya_lyka

#14 Post by aya_lyka » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:16 pm

looks very promising. is it me or is the red haired guy very hot. hehe anyway might try this out.

biscuit

#15 Post by biscuit » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Love it! I've only played it through two times though, once with Ittosai, and the other with Muneshige.

Does anybody know of other, female-oriented games like this? I like playing the visual novel/non-h 'dating sim' type games, but most of them are either X-rated or targeted for male audiences.