1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
thezooqueen

#16 Postby thezooqueen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Woot! you wont regret it :) Be sure to check out my fanfics after you complete the game on their forums.

DarthSnuggles

#17 Postby DarthSnuggles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

This is probably one of my favorite games EVER. It combines the stat-building and schedule-planning that I enjoyed from games like Magical Diary, Lucky Rabbit Reflex and TokiMemo with a plot that is deep, gripping, and impeccably-researched. The romances are entirely otional, and in fact I'd recommend playing through WITHOUT dating any of the guys first, so that you can focus on unraveling the main plot. Trust me, it's complex enough that you're still going to want to play again, and you won't mind going through the main story multiple times as you pursue the boys, because it helps to fill in the puzzle of just what Sadie's experiences mean, both for her and for the world.

Even without factoring in the romance-specific ones, there are tons of adventures, more than you can possibly complete on a single playthrough, which only ups the replay value. I've finished the game four times now (not a small feat, this game is HUGE) and I still haven't managed to see everything. A nice touch is that most characters "remember" what adventures you've had with them, and may reference past exploits in conversation.

And, since a lot of us are in it for the romance, I'll just say that all of the love stories between Sadie and her various beaux are VERY good. No two relationships are alike, but they're all genuinely heartwarming. I particularly like the slow build of romantic tension between Sadie and whichever guy you're pursuing, from first meeting to respect to friendship to attraction and finally to love. Even though none of them are perfect, every available character is genuinely likable, and each is a good match for Sadie in his own way. Every guy's story is fairly unique to the character, as well: Sterling, bittersweet and action-packed; Nigel, mature but a little goofy; etc.

Yeah. I love this game, and strongly recommend buying it. It may be a little more expensive than other indie games out there, but in my opinion, a game this big and this detailed is worth every penny. Plus, Black Chicken Studios is good about being in contact with fans, and continues to release patches and bug fixes even after the game is out the door. They're also working on new and more ambitious games, and I encourage you to support them, because we need more developers like them in the indie community!

The only, very minor complaint I have about the game is that you cannot continue a saved game from the demo--you must start a new game when you buy. Other than that, though, 1931 may well be my new favorite otome game.

Benazir

#18 Postby Benazir » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:30 pm

DarthSnuggles wrote:The only, very minor complaint I have about the game is that you cannot continue a saved game from the demo--you must start a new game when you buy.

Yes... After this bug, I stopped playing ... and I can't force myself to start the game again.

DarthSnuggles

#19 Postby DarthSnuggles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Benazir wrote:
DarthSnuggles wrote:The only, very minor complaint I have about the game is that you cannot continue a saved game from the demo--you must start a new game when you buy.

Yes... After this bug, I stopped playing ... and I can't force myself to start the game again.

It was definitely annoying, but if it makes you feel better, the devs are aware of the problem and have stated (on their forums) that that won't be the case in the sequel. I'd suggest giving the game another try, despite that bug, because it really is a worthwhile game, and it sounds like you've already paid for it. If you dislike the beginning part that much (the scavenger hunt adventure definitely gets old after a couple of times through) you can always do what I did--I devoted save slot #2 to a file that begins sometime in mid-June, after you've met all the characters but before Egypt. That way, when I start a new game, I can start playing right away and not have to go through the lengthy intro every time.

Anyway, that's just a thought. I didn't mean to sound pushy or anything--I'm just a big fan of the game, lol.

hanako
Site Admin

#20 Postby hanako » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Seen elseforum:

In celebration of our new Kickstarter, Holdfast: A Gamebook of Dwarven Vengeance, we have the following promotion:

Use code "HOLDFAST" to get 40% off any Black Chicken game, when purchased directly from us on BMT

So that deal should apply to:

1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum

and

Academagia

Benazir

#21 Postby Benazir » Wed May 01, 2013 1:47 pm

DarthSnuggles wrote:Anyway, that's just a thought. I didn't mean to sound pushy or anything--I'm just a big fan of the game, lol.

Sure, already your first comment inspired me to try it again. :)

MsPond

Re: 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum

#22 Postby MsPond » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:32 pm

This post is super old but how how how do i get friendship endings?

DarthSnuggles

#23 Postby DarthSnuggles » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 pm

MsPond wrote:This post is super old but how how how do i get friendship endings?

When you get the opportunity to start a romance with a guy, just don't. I think the decision is worded something like "Nah, we'd better just stay friends." It's pretty explicit which choice is which. Then, continue doing ALL of his adventures, and get his relationship value ABOVE your Dream of Family value. That basically symbolizes that his friendship and the plotlines that it includes (e.g., academic endeavors if you're pursuing Nigel's friendship) are more important to you right now than pursuing the leads about Sadie's parents. You'll get a special platonic ending with the guy instead of the Family ending.

You don't get special endings for high relationship with Aunt Evelyn or Anna, unfortunately; if one of them is your highest relationship score, the game defaults to whatever ending your Dream score would give you.

Hope this helped!

nightingale

#24 Postby nightingale » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm spo glad this game is getting some love. This is one of the games that are THE BEST VALUE for money I have ever had the pleasure of byuing. They have such a great sense of fun. And I love the routes, though Nigel is always my favourite. It;s incredibly fun and adventurous and so substantial, a quality that I find missing in many games. I am so happy this one is being noticed! Yaya for the blackchickenstudios. They worked really hard on this and I know they are working on a sequel too that will icnorporate choices made in the first game. I'm sure it will be awesome.

I haven;t even begun to complete all the endings and i had the game for almost a year or so now. it''s incredible.

But I also look forward to games from hanako, their writing is always so much to my taste. I am happy you guys exist.

Sorr for this rant but i just got so delirious. I don;t want you or blackchickenstudios to share the fate of severla indie game making companies...for instance the game makers of shira oka seem to have long abandoned their site and forums, which is such a pity.

please keep going strong in the new year, everyone! i look forward to more hanakogames and blackchicken tudios sequel to schehrezade.

theblackchicken

#25 Postby theblackchicken » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you for all the kind words!

please keep going strong in the new year, everyone! i look forward to more hanakogames and blackchicken tudios sequel to schehrezade

So far so good...we have released 1931 on Steam. Make sure to request a keycode if you don't already have one. :D

flwriter124

#26 Postby flwriter124 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:56 pm

What is the email address to use to request a steam code? I'm so ready to start racking up those 91 achievements :lol:

theblackchicken

#27 Postby theblackchicken » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 am

It's academagia @ gmail.com

Also details on how two win one of two free steam copies here: https://twitter.com/BCSGames

Cheers!

Return to “Affiliate Games”