Analogue: A Hate Story

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
Muse

Analogue: A Hate Story

#1 Post by Muse » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:33 pm

I just noticed a new Canadian-made VN on Steam called Analogue: A Hate Story.

It looks interesting, but at least according to the display pictures, there aren't any backgrounds in the game, which seems odd for a ten dollar game! Still, I think I may look into it later.

The game description on Steam:
Back in the 25th century, Earth launched a generation ship into deep space, with the goal of establishing the first interstellar colony. It dropped out of contact and disappeared, never reaching its destination. Thousands of years later, it has finally been found.
Last edited by Muse on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

nonhoration

#2 Post by nonhoration » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Christine Love is Canadian, and English is the original language, but it is based on Korean history. I liked the story a lot, it leaves you thinking for a long time afterward.

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 am

nonhoration wrote:Christine Love is Canadian, and English is the original language, but it is based on Korean history. I liked the story a lot, it leaves you thinking for a long time afterward.
Ah sorry about that! I couldn't find much info on it, so with the Korean on screen I assumed it was from Korea. Will fix on first post, thanks.

Do any BGs or full CGs show up in the game, btw?

nonhoration

#4 Post by nonhoration » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 am

There aren't a lot of CGs from what I remember. Each ending has a CG associated with it, but they're all pretty similar. The only screens you really access during gameplay are the two screens in the demo: the white one with the AI's sprite on it and the command prompt.

Completing different endings also unlocks a CG gallery of sorts with concept art for the AI characters.

Blue Rose

#5 Post by Blue Rose » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Played it. It's a good game, but as noted, not a great deal of art and CGs. While it's a great story, I finished it to nearly a hundred percent in an afternoon, and once you have the twist for the game, there's not a whole lot left; very little replay value.

If your gaming budget's tight, there may not be much worth it for you, but if you have the cash to spare, it is a good afternoon or two.

Alfilaria

#6 Post by Alfilaria » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 am

Agreed. It has an interesting concept; the whole game consists of you accessing log files in an attempt to figure out what happened on the ship. But once you've solved the mystery, there's little reason to replay it except maybe to get the joke "harem" ending. I don't really regret having bought it, but the endings are a big sticking point for me. I can't really recommend it for that reason, unless you want to buy it to encourage Steam to put more VNs up.