Amaranth site down?

For discussion of games by other creators such as Aveyond and Spirited Heart.
jberry

Amaranth site down?

#1 Post by jberry » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:46 am

I've been trying to get onto the Amaranth Games site for over 2 hours to get Aveyond 2, but the site appears to be down. This is horrible for Amanda because the game's release is today :(.

Does anyone know what the situation is and when the site might be back up? She's another indie gamer whose work I love and I would really like to be able to get on the site and support her by purchasing the game. :(

Anyway, if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate knowing what's going on.

Thank you!

--JB

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:52 am

That's *why* the site is down - because the game came out today so everybody hammered the server trying to download the game as soon as possible, and the server cracked under the strain. She's working on it. Personally I'm going to wait a few days before trying to download. :)

jberry

#3 Post by jberry » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:16 am

Yeah, kinda figured that was the case, but I was hoping it was something like her ISP needing to reset or something easy so she'd be up and running again soon. :(

I hate to wait, but looks like no choice this time :-D.

Thanks for the response! :)

jberry

#4 Post by jberry » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:22 am

Hahaha I just re-read my first post and realized it sounded like I was implying you didn't know her or was name-dropping or something:

'she's another female indie game designer'...I meant I like to support indie designers, especially female (I've never even spoken to her, just have followed her games and site postings), and she's someone I want to help support--not like I was trying to explain who she was.

LOL sorry, didn't mean it that way but I got a good laugh when I reread it. :) Sorry if you thought I was being a weirdo lol.

phoenixgirl

#5 Post by phoenixgirl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:57 am

@jberry:

Yup, Amaranthia was down then because so many people wanted to download Aveyond 2. I'm a regular member there and even I couldn't log in that time so I just gave up and did some other things. lol

Fortunately, Amanda was able to make some arrangements regarding the download so the site is back up now. :)

And I'm a big supporter of hers as well and any other female Indie-game designer. We certainly need more out there. :)

I tried out Aveyond 2. I was a beta tester for the game so I had full access to it. I must say-Amanda did a wonderful job with it. It's the best game she's ever created, I think. The graphics are beautiful, the music totally rocks...Well, I could gush on about it for a while but I'll let you see for yourself. :)
Please help and support me here.

jberry

#6 Post by jberry » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:15 am

Hi, Phoenixgirl--

I'm really glad Amanda got it back up and working. I'm going to go get rhe game now--I wanted to wait until it was a little more stable so I didn't take bandwidth away from some impulse buyer who wouldn't come back if they didn't make their purchase :).

I'm even more excited about the game (if that's possible!) after hearing your description! The thing I loved most about the original Aveyond was how it was an entire little world--the music fit perfectly with the scenery and situations, the artwork was consistent with the characters and dialogue--everything just fit together so naturally and beautifully. From what you said below, it sounds like she's improved upon this well-rounded concept in the second installment. I can't wait!! :)

You're so lucky to have been a beta tester for the game. The hardest part of beta testing, though, is the wait of weeks to months between the end of beta and official release. I find I'm always going through major withdrawals at that point. I bet you've been going nuts.

OK, off to purchase--if you get a chance, let me know what you think of final release and if there are any big changes; I'm curious to hear your opinion as a tester. :)

phoenixgirl

#7 Post by phoenixgirl » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:26 am

Hi,

Well, I have a bit of time so I'll give my thoughts between the beta and final versions. :)

The final version is quite an improvement over the beta. When I was beta testing, we had to pick up on so many bugs and other errors. Some of them were small, like spelling errors, while others were critical bugs, like we couldn't cross a bridge. It was a lot of hard work beta testing but I had fun. It's like work and fun combined.

Hmm, in terms of changes...I'd say that Amanda changed a couple of facesets and sprites. You see, she had a couple of different ones before the final version but some of us pointed out that the facesets and sprites don't match so she changed them.

Other than the changes I mentioned, that's about it. Aveyond 2 is similar to Aveyond 1 in that there are guilds to choose from again and so forth. Also, if you're familiar with Ahriman's Prophecy, there are some features from that game, too. :)
Please help and support me here.

Rhen

#8 Post by Rhen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:25 am

I`ve just finished Aveyond 2... Damn it`s so good I love it :)
But Aveyond 1 is still my favorite:)

lill_sweetty

#9 Post by lill_sweetty » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:12 pm

So that's why the site couldn't be access. ^^ it seems a lot of Aveyond lovers are also Hanako games lovers. I'm the same. I'll be over there in awhile and get it. It seems that a lot of people think it's as if good if not better than the 1st. XD I can't wait!