Why Perdhro for 'Fate'? SPOILERS

Hints, favorite characters, and general discussion of the adventure game Fatal Hearts.
Cerberusia

Why Perdhro for 'Fate'? SPOILERS

#1 Post by Cerberusia » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:55 pm

Well, I've completed the game (all endings, all CGs), and now I have a question about the rune keypad:

Why would the rune 'Perdhro' (psychic powers, mystical energies) be used to mean 'fate'- a meaning usually reserved for Wyrd, the blank rune?

I got Gifu for 'gift' and Wunjo for 'joy'- they were obvious to anyone who knew runes and a bit of German. But Perdhro = fate? I had to go and check the German-English dictionary to make sure of that one.

So: suggestions?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:15 am

To the best of my knowledge, the use of the blank rune only dates back to the 1980s or so. While there's nothing wrong with it, it didn't feel appropriate for the cult's traditions, which are intended to be influenced by Sebastien's older knowledge.

It would also be impossible to represent *drawing* a blank symbol on the screen, so it was less useful for the game. Not impossible for the keypad, of course, but for the ceremony where the runes are used later.

http://www.runeschool.org/topics/rs_t_blank.htm

Cerberusia

#3 Post by Cerberusia » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Ah, that would make sense. I didn't know about Wyrd's properties originally belonging to Peorth...Thank you for that interesting link, too. And yes, drawing a blank rune would be...difficult, to say the least.