playing fatal hearts as a german- weird

Hints, favorite characters, and general discussion of the adventure game Fatal Hearts.
brausebaerchen

playing fatal hearts as a german- weird

#1 Post by brausebaerchen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 pm

hey folks.
i wonder if i am the only german who played this game. first i want to say that i like this game and i think for germans it's even more funny
i don't know who the translator for the german was (i guess google) but most of the words thrown in just sound odd even when it should be old german. wolfriemen for example. it translates to wolfbelt but noone ever would say that because the normal translation for belt is gürtel. okay okay i know most of you people have problem with those dots over the u. but wolfriemen sounds kind of dirty in my ears (but maybe thats just me). another dirty thing is mein liebchen. this means more or less "my little whore" - old fashioned. so i guess my impression from sebastien was different from the beginning. he just wanted his little toy back. but that's how those french are... (sebastien is so much a french name). well but i enjoyed playing it. there should be more games that feature germans. oh and it's good to know that german cultists are dressed like nazis in black coats. now i know to be careful when i meet those on the streets.

viele grüße aus good old germany. keep up work!

by the way my perfect ending would be jeremy and christina taking over the world :twisted:

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:22 pm

*grin*

As mentioned elsewhere, I admit I don't speak German and a lot of it will probably look funny to someone who does. However, most of the characters don't speak it either. :)

Jeremy, Lucy's family, etc - don't speak the language. They know various mystical words that have been passed down as part of the cult's traditions. Wolfriemen especially is used because it looks, in English, like it should mean something entirely different (it looks like Wolfman) and the cult are actually English. They pick up the word and use it entirely differently - one wolfrieman, two wolfriemen.

Sebastien - speaks the language but is hundreds of years out of date. As far as I can tell, liebchen is appropriate for my dear, my darling, my sweetheart. I've been told this by people who supposedly do speak German! It may not be very appropriate in modern usage, but he's old. (The name is more French than German, but my sources claim it's a German name as well.)

Eric - Does speak the language, and I had his statements checked by someone who speaks German. I hope they came out a little more readable than babelfish, at least. :)

VaagTerrorChicky

#3 Post by VaagTerrorChicky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 am

I'm having fun 2 in the game.
I'm dutch but I sure know there are more dutch an germans playing!:P
I think speaking all three of the languages makes it even funnier.
Sometimes it's kind of hard translating into my own language and than german en than back in your own language an than back in english again or however :roll: quite confusing :roll: as you see!

Greetings, grüßen & groetjes!!!

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:00 pm

http://www.sagen.at/texte/sagen/deutsch ... rwolf.html

So in the older sources, there should be an extra s in the word - Wolfsriemen.

lill_sweetty

#5 Post by lill_sweetty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:59 pm

Lol.

Did Eric really look like he was wearing Nazis clothing...? XD I just thought he looked grumpy looking, sleep-deprived, and left bed a little bit late. Or maybe just reclusive looking......

I always thought mein liebchen meant...my darling. In all honesty, Wolfriemen and mein liebchen fits the meaning it's supposed to mean. A lot of FH players don't understand German, but I could sorta get what the meaning of both meant by the way the words just sound...(Way it worked in my head: Mein--my, liebchen--little child/darling) And wolfriemen obviously had the wolf at the beginning. I think that might've made Georgina picked those words....So to me--a non-German speaking player--it was logical. Though a native speaker would probably have laughed at some weird things. Textbook teaching of a language always tend to sound awkward or old fashion to a modern speaker, right?

I'm glad you liked the game. ^^ I'm not sure whether it's French or German, but those baby name sites said it came from Greek.

Lendezu

#6 Post by Lendezu » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:10 pm

actually "wolfriemen" reminded me of Russian when I figured out the traslation. "wolf" it's wolf and "riemen" sounds like the word "rimen" in Russian which means "belt".

Little_witch

#7 Post by Little_witch » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 am

hanako wrote: They pick up the word and use it entirely differently - one wolfrieman, two wolfriemen.
Now that's really fascinating! Nobody in germany would ever think of the possibility of this kind of redefination (since Riemen can't be divided into syllables with own meaning, so we would have no clue what 'rieman' could possibly mean. And yes, it is also used as a synonym for the masculine sex organ... I have no idea, why that came up, since 'Riemen' is a strap of leather).

It reminds me a little of the poem 'Der Werwolf' written by Christian Morgenstern (which helped me a lot in 5th grade, I never confused dative and accusative since then), it's a similar kind of playing with language.

And thank you for the of the old story. I didn't know anything about the origin of werewolves (and that there were stories about devices for 'werewolfing on demand) and am now very motivated to fill this gap. :D