Fatal Hearts for Mac

Hints, favorite characters, and general discussion of the adventure game Fatal Hearts.
sayuri

Fatal Hearts for Mac

#1 Postby sayuri » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:21 pm

I might be wrong, but I think Fatal Hearts is the only game on the site that doesn't run on Mac. If Fatal Hearts is made with Ren'py, would a rerelease on Mac be possible?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Postby hanako » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Fatal Hearts *isn't* made with RenPy, which is exactly why there's no Mac version.

Spiky did some custom porting jobs to create the Mac versions of the two Cute Knight games (which also weren't written in RenPy); however, Fatal Hearts uses a lot of weird code tricks to pull off all of the different puzzles, including some that are extremely difficult to replicate in another system.

The flexibility in puzzle types brought about by using a tool like Game Maker instead of a traditional adventure-game or visual-novel toolset was one of the main reasons the game was made to begin with.

So we could attempt to throw it through the porting tools and end up with something that would probably be slow and buggy (and certain puzzles probably aren't possible), or we could rewrite the game's plot in RenPy but drop the puzzles and end up with a game full of holes. Either way, I don't think Mac users would be too happy.

It seems to me like the time is better used making new games.

Alternately, if a fabulous artist somewhere is desperate to collaborate on an all-new edition with completely new graphics.... But I don't think that's likely.

sayuri

#3 Postby sayuri » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Oh okay I see. Yeah, that does seem like a lot of trouble for little profit. But at least it answers my question of why. I'll just have to drag out the old home computer to play Fatal Hearts I guess :P

Return to “Fatal Hearts”