Cute Knight vs Deluxe vs Kingdom?

For hints and discussions on Cute Knight and Cute Knight Deluxe.
Muse

Cute Knight vs Deluxe vs Kingdom?

#1 Postby Muse » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:02 pm

I am a huge Princess Maker fan, and I've been thinking lately that I would probably enjoy Cute Knight, but I am unsure of which to buy, and wanted to get some more information... If you can help me out here I would be much obliged!

For example, the art seems to really vary in quality in the screenshots of Cute Knight Deluxe. The "Charming" picture doesn't look very good to me, but the art in "Changing Clothes" is cute, so I was wondering if they are from the same version or is one from the original version and the other from the deluxe version?

My other question was how does the first Cute Knight compare to Kingdoms, plot, art, and character wise? Which do you tend to like more and why?

Thank you!

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Postby hanako » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:29 pm

(You probably don't want MY answer but I'll give it anyway!)

THe problem with the first Cute Knight game, original version, is that I had to draw it and I can't draw. So the graphics are all over the place. Sometimes I get lucky and it comes out okay, sometimes not. (I have no objection to people saying it looks awful because I agree!)

The deluxe version replaced the monster graphics and the ending graphics so that they would be done by an actual artist instead of me, but lots of the rest of the game is still my scribbles. Also one minigame was fixed to be less impossible. I would generally recommend anyone considering either to get Deluxe instead of the original. But that's me.

Kingdom, in my opinion, has MUCH better art because 90% of it is artist-drawn. Some people don't like the styles chosen, because I was going for a kind of storybook illustration look instead of traditional anime.

In general, Kingdom has much more developed NPCs but many people find the RPG aspects to be more fun in the original game.

Now I'll butt out of this thread and let normal people give their opinions!

Muse

#3 Postby Muse » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:32 pm

hanako wrote:(You probably don't want MY answer but I'll give it anyway!)

THe problem with the first Cute Knight game, original version, is that I had to draw it and I can't draw. So the graphics are all over the place. Sometimes I get lucky and it comes out okay, sometimes not. (I have no objection to people saying it looks awful because I agree!)

The deluxe version replaced the monster graphics and the ending graphics so that they would be done by an actual artist instead of me, but lots of the rest of the game is still my scribbles. Also one minigame was fixed to be less impossible. I would generally recommend anyone considering either to get Deluxe instead of the original. But that's me.

Kingdom, in my opinion, has MUCH better art because 90% of it is artist-drawn. Some people don't like the styles chosen, because I was going for a kind of storybook illustration look instead of traditional anime.

In general, Kingdom has much more developed NPCs but many people find the RPG aspects to be more fun in the original game.

Now I'll butt out of this thread and let normal people give their opinions!

Hehehe, Thank you Hanako. :D It's nice to hear the creator's opinion as well, I think, although I am still curious to hear what everyone else says as well!

Ellume

#4 Postby Ellume » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 pm

If you like princess maker then I suspect you will enjoy Cute Knight. I own the Deluxe version, and can't say anything about the original. I enjoyed Princess Maker 2 and I also enjoyed Cute Knight. I thought they felt similar to play. Yes some of the art is amateur but I enjoyed the game.

I however don't own Cute Knight Kingdoms because after trying out the demo for awhile I just didn't like the retro RPG graphics and feel of the game. I was quite sad because it does look like a very interesting story, and would have definitely bought it if it was more the style of Cute Knight or a VN. The style is somewhat like the adventuring mode of Princess Maker 2, but that minigame was not the reason I enjoyed PM2.

Have you tried out the demos for the games yet? If not I would advise doing that 8)

tnek89

#5 Postby tnek89 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:22 am

( contains spoilers )

Personally, I liked Michiko's emotion faces better in the orginal. Kingdoms bugged me alot in places such as art, gameplay, the endings, etc. Threal thing I thought is was missing though was a strong storyline. I loved how in Cute Knight the story was so involved with all that you did and all the little sub-plots that tied everything together. Especially things you wouldn't expect, like the prince being the son of the wizard girl, Michiko being royalty for real. But that's just me, so yeah. Anyway, Cute Knight was actually a great experience for me.

GSN22

#6 Postby GSN22 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:57 am

As long as people are posting complaints, my biggest gripe with Cute Knight (and Princess Maker 2) is how you get locked into an ending based on stats.

PM 2- "Okay, you got high sensitivity? Well, you could become a hero, general or King, but you're now a writer!" I like both games but, just wish I had more flexibility at the end.

Imo, I think a better formula would be to offer more options for what ending you choose- certain stats are required for certain endings, and if you have high enough stats you can pick and choose. I mean, sure, your big dumb fighter might not be qualified but they can still become a writer. (albeit, a bad one)

Return to “Cute Knight”