Mobile ports?

For hints and discussions on Cute Knight and Cute Knight Deluxe.
Deco Bryl

Mobile ports?

#1 Postby Deco Bryl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 am

Would you consider porting the Cute Knight games to iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and other mobile OSes (e.g., webOS, BlackBerry OS)? I'd just love to have them on the go on my PDAs. My netbook is a little too bulky and far too sluggish. I'm most interested in Android and iOS, myself.

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Postby hanako » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 am

I'm not completely against the idea but it's not practical at the moment.

The android market is *terrible* for games as far as I can tell. Piracy out the wazoo, plus a mess of different hardware meaning even some of the tiny fraction who pay for the games often end up not being able to play them because of compatibility problems, and thus rate the games down, making sales even worse.

iOS is a little bit better, but I don't currently have access to a game engine that can actually produce iphone-approved games. Or a sufficiently-recent Mac to develop them on. Or an Apple developer account. And those aren't free either. :) I'd have to get a lot of new stuff to even try it, and then I'd have to be approved by Apple in the end or it would all be for nothing.

Basically, as a mostly-one-person operation I can't afford to take the time to work on a big porting project instead of writing new games, not unless I have a publisher offering me funds upfront - and even then, that means more delays in new titles, which would make people sad.

If an existing publisher wishes to buy the rights to port the games I might be interested. There is also a decent chance that one of the tools I use may develop porting powers in the future which would affect the calculations. But under the current circumstances, no.

Return to “Cute Knight”