THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

Train a little vampire to restore her power as she chomps her way through the town!
hanako
Site Admin

THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#1 Post by hanako » Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm

The first build access mails should be going out now.

This is only a small chunk of the game to do a quick test before releasing the larger beta later. We're ALMOST done with all the ending art!

Please let me know if you run into any weird bugs or just things you don't understand! Up until this point it's only been tested in-house.

Subtended

THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#2 Post by Subtended » Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 am

Played through to the end of the available content.
Very cute implementation and art! I like how the responses available to you as Saule allow framing of the past and the setting...all the while Saule may have no more motive than manipulating the young mistress to ensure her own survival. And I'm very amused that the young mistress' default interaction with an item is to bite it...regardless of whether it is food or not.

I feel that more information could be presented on which stats feed into Mind and Body (first four on the list to the left for mind, next four for body? Why would Style improve your stamina?). I know that some level of opacity is usual for these games, but I do appreciate clearer information presentation, such as the contributions for the hunting. Speaking of, I like the variety of ways to attack or entice your target, and the art for this is really cute!

Icons between the money and the Mind, I don't know what these do. Could floating tooltips be used to explain when hovering cursor over them? Similarly to add a blurb when hovering over each attribute/skill as informative/entertaining.

Science and Technology - is there sufficient difference between these to be two separate skills? And if so, can that be clearly conveyed to the player?

Mischief - Sounds more like an attitude than a skill (e.g. Fighting, Etiquette) or a knowledge (e.g. History, Science). A tooltip with a bit of explanation might be helpful to tie it together. Adding to the Sneaky attack type would imply this has a physical stealth component, but the only source for it (that I found in the beta) was the Computer Use class (bite that keyboard!). Just noticed it's in Urban Exploration too, which does make sense.

Shopping - I assume that future builds will have more item variety/an inventory for holding restoratives? Can't wait to see more outfits for the young mistress!

MillaMaxwell

Re: Beta access links sent

#3 Post by MillaMaxwell » Thu May 27, 2021 3:20 am

I like it! I just did two playthroughs of the current build. In the first playthrough, it seemed more difficult to balance classes, jobs, money, and mind/body than I expected, but on my second playthrough, I actually managed to afford a full week of classes once after the first week! :lol: The art is quite nice and the writing made me chuckle a couple times. Several of the teachers seemed like people I'd like to get to know better. (And I have questions about the Lore teacher's book binding...) The only issues I've noticed thus far are that the activity screen seems kinda slow even at the fastest speed and one typo:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be "explode." :D But anyway, love the game so far and definitely looking forward to more!

hanako
Site Admin

0.6.1 update

#4 Post by hanako » Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Tweaks to activity speed
Tooltips available for some stuff on the top bar (mouseover to see. due to the way screens interact, won't be visible during activities)

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Backer Beta First Impressions

#5 Post by hanako » Thu May 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Sorry, for design reasons I opted not to have an inventory this time around. Items are either bitten right away or not at all, and outfits will only change in special scenes.

I don't want to overdo it with tooltips as too many of them can make things more confusing rather than less, but the latest build adjustment is testing adding a few explanations to the top bar, as those are the hardest things to figure out through play.

hanako
Site Admin

0.6.3 Update

#6 Post by hanako » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:54 pm

New options on options menu, so you can turn off the flash if it bugs you, and so it's more obvious that disabling transitions will kill possibly all animation in the game which will make it look quite different.

Game calendar will now let you play up through late December, which should take you through some special events and give you time to unlock extra jobs and activities. Have you found any jobs beyond your starting set yet?

ThatCrazyChick

Re: 0.6.3 Update

#7 Post by ThatCrazyChick » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 pm

I got child model and the filing job (which probably gives you a pretty good idea of the type of lil vamp I'm raising lol)! the model job is singlehandedly saving my bank account

hanako
Site Admin

THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#8 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:31 am

Trying to merge topics correctly, pardon my dust.

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 pm

0.7 build is up - this is the first time people can play all the way through to the end and see what careers they might get. More information available here: https://hanakogames.itch.io/cute-bite/d ... th-endings

again I'd love to hear what activities people find, what endings they uncover!

Bloody Vikings

Re: THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#10 Post by Bloody Vikings » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:23 pm

So far I've gotten the "not good enough" ending, the "farmer" ending, and the "lost to a hunter" ending. The last one after beating the hunter a dozen times didn't seem to trigger anyhting unusual, so I decided to just activate the bad end.
I'm liking it so far, although it might not hurt to find a way to hint that Temperance is vital for mental stamina, as it's less obvious than Endurance.
Also, would it be possible to draw up your current stats by clicking on the girl, or a mirror, perhaps? Something to let people get a quick stat check before choosing a path.
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

ThatCrazyChick

#11 Post by ThatCrazyChick » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:26 pm

Slowly gathering career endings - not sure how helpful I'll be for determining difficulty since I was able to get a good building groove up before I was able to start generating endings. I will say I've never once had the girl fail to turn into batgirl (until you asked in that post, I thought it was just a cute event not a check). The biggest advancement obstacle for me is stamina (both mind and body), you can only hunt for so long even if you beat the vampire hunter and after that it's VERY difficult to keep those values up without resting (though my stats are fine even with the rest). It's fairly easy to balance jobs/classes, especially once I realized how lucrative burglary can be (I didn't even unlock the option until my fourth playthrough but boy that office building). I do think the threshold to 'level up' a job is a mite low, I usually get a pay raise for the 'advanced' jobs ~3 weeks in.

ThatCrazyChick

#12 Post by ThatCrazyChick » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Bloody Vikings wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:23 pm
after beating the hunter a dozen times didn't seem to trigger anyhting unusual
My favorite ending thus far comes after beating the hunter, but you need to have some amount of rebellion and it has to take place after a conversation with saule (I believe those are the requirements at least - haven't done extensive testing but thats when its triggered for me).

Bloody Vikings

#13 Post by Bloody Vikings » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Ah, good to know. My vampire must have been too obedient to trigger that.
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

hanako
Site Admin

#14 Post by hanako » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 pm

There is a special ending related to beating the Hunter but it requires certain prerequisites ahead of time. Basically, right now, unless you've raised a certain stat and unlocked a certain scene which makes the vampire curious about the Hunter's origins, she just drains and drops her like she would any other target. Only with a certain threshold met does she stop to go "Wait, I have questions for you." This may be too obscure at the moment, though it is meant to be something you'd eventually stumble across on replays through raising different stats.

(Also yay comments! :) Gimme a sec I'll say more. And yes, rebelliousness affects how that post-combat scene plays out, but it's the other stat/conversation you need to get that event to happen.)

Bloody Vikings

#15 Post by Bloody Vikings » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:39 pm

I'd gotten the scene, but not on a run where I had the stats to fight the Hunter.