THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

Train a little vampire to restore her power as she chomps her way through the town!
q_3

Re: THE BIG BETA THREAD!!!

#61 Post by q_3 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Aw, Rosalie's ending is super cute. I do feel a bit bad for her in the Secret Masters ending though. Then getting Akari and Dimitria at the same time was pretty easy, ended with the socialite ending as a result.

Lore teacher is still proving to be elusive, on both of those runs I completed her class without getting any new scenes. Not asking for any hints yet, though! :)

Lathtal

#62 Post by Lathtal » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:53 am

Got the hospital/Rosalie ending, and noticed a minor typo on the second textbox. "Clininal" instead of "clinical". Still playing with the other new things.

Bloody Vikings

#63 Post by Bloody Vikings » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:13 am

Downloaded and trying to play, but thunderstorms are making my power flicker, so stopping for now. Loving what I've seen so far.
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

hanako
Site Admin

#64 Post by hanako » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:01 pm

Prospective achievement list:

fed while hunting (that is, won a combat)
won an arm-wrestling match
robbed a house
bit a teacher
kissed someone's hand at a ball
performed divination
performed alchemy
the six romance unlocks
regained your adult form
defeated the Hunter
lost to the Hunter
ran away with the fairies
failed to save the butler
one for each career ending
completed the ending gallery

Are there any other specific things you can do that you think are noteworthy enough to deserve acheivement status?

q_3

#65 Post by q_3 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm

Started a harem (completed three romances in a single game)
Do you even know where that's been?! (bit something (each of the things?) found while hunting)
Mystery solved (learned who killed the Old Master)
They'll rot your brain (played arcade games (and lost?))
Who's a good girl? (successfully tamed a dog during burglary)
Open Sesame (passed an Occult check during burglary)
Sticky fingers (picked a pocket)

ran away with the fairies must be one of the endings I missed... I'm speculating it's related to the lore teacher (no hints!). I did finally get her ending, and I can see what you meant about the various romances being mutually incompatible. Is Dimitria the only one who is compatible with all vampire personality types?

Trying to get the butler ending now.

hanako
Site Admin

#66 Post by hanako » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:42 pm

actually the fairies was me referencing what happens if you leave with the Hunter :)

hanako
Site Admin

#67 Post by hanako » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:39 am

Friendly mac tester says changing the slash put the file in the right directory but nothing launched at all when he clicked the button, so I may have to change that to just notifying the player that the file has been saved instead of trying to launch it, I don't know.

hanako
Site Admin

#68 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:57 pm

SPOILERS AHOY!

So at this point I'm going to start talking about a few how-to-get-endings hints so that testers can more easily poke around. These are generally not full instructions, just general directions, but if you don't want to know, don't look!

Romances:
Butler - Must choose to see her as a friend, not mother/servant. Must find out in conversation that the vampire tried to steal "a person" from the Old Master, boost Sensitivity enough to have a conversation about who that person was, and boost Insight enough to find out what happened to the Master.
Vasilisa - Prefer the past. Study both Lore and Art History.
Akari - Avoid the personality combo that hates dance classes (Present + Fit In). Study Ballroom Dance. Attend balls on the weekends and succeed at biting people. Boost Dominance.
Adelia - Prefer to stand out. Study Urban Spelunking. Boost Law. Do Burglary.
Dimitria - Avoid the combination of Prefer Force and high Fighting skill. Study Horticulture. Boost Occult.
Rosalie - Prefer the present. Don't do a lot of Modeling. Study Computers. Boost Science.

Career endings:
Careers are determined solely by your stats at the end of the game, not how often you did activities or what personality type you have or anything like that. Every possible career is linked to a unique combination of two stats - the Politician ending, for example, is linked to History + Law. Each of these groups of two stats is collected, along with one default ending (the one where you stay in your estate and mostly ignore the world) which has a starting score of 220. The results are then sorted and whatever has the highest total is your career. Getting the 'default' ending therefore tends to mean that you had one highish stat, high enough to avoid the bad ending, but all your other stats were kind of bad, or at least nothing paired with that one high stat to link to another career.

I'm not going to say just yet which stats link to which endings. I will say that at least from earlier the ending that many people seemed to be having trouble getting involves running a nightclub. What stats do you think might get you there?

q_3

#69 Post by q_3 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:52 pm

Woo hoo, harem acquired! And only a moderate amount of savescumming required. Mostly reloading when hunting starts to dry up, or retrying burglary to get a good couple office building runs. Is it just me, or do doctors and nurses stop appearing midway through the game? Maybe I've just bitten them all, doctors are excellent early game sources of mind, and nurses are just excellent early targets period. :lol: Also I have yet to figure out what is worth stealing in the warehouse.

I'm not sure if I would have figured out how to get Butler on my own, at least not without a lot of experimenting. Requiring two stats plus the right dialogue combinations is tough, though in hindsight I can see how the game suggested the extra scenes and you can infer the stats that'd get them. Maybe having achievements for the two conversations could provide clearer guidance. Or maybe there could be an alternate way to get her ending with lower requirements if you take the estates class? I kept spending so much time on it; on the other hand, knowing that it's unnecessary is what made me aspire for the maximum harem. :twisted:

Also for me at least it seems like the businesswoman and debutante endings should maybe have like a lower priority or higher stat requirement or something, those are the two I most often get by default (i.e. when going for romances instead of trying for particular endings).

hanako
Site Admin

#70 Post by hanako » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Maybe I've just bitten them all
There are limited numbers of targets, yes. If you eat all the doctors you'll eventually stop finding any.
a lower priority or higher stat requirement or something, those are the two I most often get by default
As it says in the notes about career endings, it's all about stat combos - clearly the jobs and classes you're taking in your 'default' strategy are boosting the relevant stats. Try a different approach? There is no prioritization or specific 'requirement' for any of those endings, it's only about which combination of stats is highest.

... Okay, technically, I suppose that there is a tiny amount of prioritization since if you somehow managed to have identical numbers for two entries in the list, then they'd come out in the reverse of the way they were input into the list for sorting in the first place. However, this shouldn't happen in real play, since the stat numbers are not stored internally in the nice little round numbers you see onscreen, but in long complex fractions, so it's highly unlikely to have identical scores. If you used cheats to manually set every single stat to 200, though, it looks like the Farming ending would be what you ended up with, because it's the last one entered into the list for sorting purposes and therefore the first one that would come back out after the list is sorted and reversed.

Bloody Vikings

#71 Post by Bloody Vikings » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Hanako in the pocket of Big Agribusiness confirmed!

(It's very interesting to get this insight into how it judges priorities, thank you.)
So, I suppose, NEW BOOBS are a strong draw, but over time, better story wins out. -Hanako

hanako
Site Admin

#72 Post by hanako » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:04 pm

0.9 Patch

This is getting very close to launch-ready, though the credits have not been done yet. The next KS announcement will be reminding people it's their last chance to get their names in.

Major features/changes:

Character report now saves and displays the file location but doesn't try to launch
Divination should now tell you if you've unlocked a romance outcome
Put teacher names in the bite list for ending display (Only affects people bitten since the change)
Added achievements/checklist (Most of them you'll need to do again)
Currently selected options now brighter text
Gallery moved from ending, Extras added to main menu after completing game
Second gallery (non-ending CGs) added

Now is the time to bring up any random thing that's been bugging you! While there's no guarantee of me actually doing it, I'll certainly ponder it, and this is the last good chance for tweaks. (Like that brighter text thing, which I really didn't care about but Spiky said was confusing. So okay sure.)

q_3

#73 Post by q_3 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:28 pm

The butler ending CG isn't unlocking for me (at least I assume that's what's missing - between her regular ending CG and Adelia's). All the others unlocked as soon as I started 0.9, but even viewing the scene (on an existing save) won't unlock it.

Maybe too much to ask, but it would be neat if there were a short extra ending scene if you have more than one romance. Like they all meet at the castle and each have a comment about the situation.

hanako
Site Admin

#74 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Oh, I see why that would happen... (Technical answer being that the butler romance graphic is set up a little differently from the others, and I had a separate one intended for the CG gallery rather than the version you actually get in-game, which means that the code is saying "Well you've never seen this version before so it's not unlocked!" whereas I've seen both in testing, so... I was thinking I needed to make sure that worked when doing the gallery but then got distracted by the need to do DIFFERENT kinds of trickery for the images that have transparent backgrounds, and forgot to double-check :D )

hanako
Site Admin

#75 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:19 pm

Quick hopeful-fix for that pushed. I'll do some further tests in a bit to be sure.