[SPOILERS] Post-year situation

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
NG14916

Re: [SPOILERS] Post-year situation

#16 Post by NG14916 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:47 pm

MillaMaxwell wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 pm
Arent wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:05 pm
hanako wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:58 am
They're not all lost... At least two relationships explicitly do follow you home, and a few others have strong potential to visit you in the near future.
Oh, which ones? I have to admit I only played the girl routes, so part of the game is lost on me.

Well, if there are some endings which continue the romance, I think it's fine. It would be boring if all endings would be fairytale romances.
I believe Hanako is referring to the William and Damien routes. Some of the side routes like Corrinna also imply that the character is strongly considering going to Illyria. They just don't have a post-credits scene to confirm it like the main routes do.

I've noticed that a lot of "blank slate" protagonists in Hanako games aren't quite blank slates. For example, Mary Sue in Horse Hall will always be somewhat sporty and Elsa in Black Closet will always be hard-working and ambitious to some degree. I rather like this aspect as it makes the characters a little more grounded and able to interact with a solid storyline than in games where your blank slate protagonist's personality is completely up to the player to decide. So with that in mind, I think Gary Stu's basic characteristic is that he's serious about his responsibility to his homeland. Everything else about him is customizable, but that one thing always holds true for him. And it has the downside of forcing some relationships to end because he would not choose to neglect his duty to prepare for the Mantle of the Woods. (The only ending I've found where he actually does something that isn't in the best interests of his country is one where he was super emotional in the moment and couldn't think ahead to the consequences, as opposed to the romance endings where he is able to rationally think through his options.)
Gary Stu has a lot less freedom than most Hanako Games characters with the exception of Elodie from LLTQ so there was less flexibility than usual. Like Mary Sue and Elsa had some backstory set in stone, but not the kind that constrains your choices that much.

Arent

Re: [SPOILERS] Post-year situation

#17 Post by Arent » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:56 pm

MillaMaxwell wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 pm

I believe Hanako is referring to the William and Damien routes. Some of the side routes like Corrinna also imply that the character is strongly considering going to Illyria. They just don't have a post-credits scene to confirm it like the main routes do.
Aww, that's why I didn't know them. I tend to roleplay such games & only choose the girls I actually like :wink: Which of course means that I'm missing an entire part of the game.

I did know that Corinna was invited, but yes, it was only an invitation.