Game unplayable after bug? Started when I used the spell foresight in exam.

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
jennyanydots123

Game unplayable after bug? Started when I used the spell foresight in exam.

#1 Post by jennyanydots123 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:21 am

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I had issues with the foresight spell in what I believe were the 4th and 5th exams, however I was able to complete the game even though it did crash at one stage. Once I completed my first run through I realised the issues were a lot bigger than a simple crash. I was unable to access the title screen, every time I attempted go to the title screen it would take me to the exam stage I was on when foresight crashed my game. When I relaunched it on steam, it would take me back to this save file, bypassing the title screen. After trying to reset the game through steam and the save files I received this error:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 429, in <module>
    renpy.load("_reload-2")
  File "game/steam.rpy", line 485, in steam_cloud_load
  File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 82, in renpy_loadsave_load
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Jenny\\AppData\\Roaming/RenPy/MagicalDiaryWolfHall\\_reload-2.whs'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/00start.rpyc", line 189, in script call
  File "game/00keymap.rpyc", line 419, in script
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary Wolf Hall\renpy\ast.py", line 814, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magical Diary Wolf Hall\renpy\python.py", line 1695, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 429, in <module>
    renpy.load("_reload-2")
  File "game/steam.rpy", line 485, in steam_cloud_load
  File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 82, in renpy_loadsave_load
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Jenny\\AppData\\Roaming/RenPy/MagicalDiaryWolfHall\\_reload-2.whs'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.2.2029+SPIKY

This is the same error message I received when the game crashed.

Other error messages I have received are:

(5, 'Foresight', 'is not a SanitizableRevertableObject type')
(5, 'Discarded non-sanitizable object id', 'id l?VR`')
(5, 'Deindirection of bogus type', 'Foresight', 'returning deleted', ('tr', 'party'), 'MDCharacter', 'statii')
(5, 'Expected an instance of', <class 'conditions.Condition'>, 'discarded', <class 'renpy.python.StoreDeleted'>, ('tr', 'party'), 'MDCharacter', 'statii')
(0, u'Save was', u'_reload-2')
-end

This one in the 5th exam, which appeared every time I reset the game or tried to go the title screen, and this one;

<BUG: Foresight found no plan for <BadenBeast@9,9 24c70130>>

which appeared in the 4th exam. This error message didn't really impact my game play, I just gave up in the exam and continued playing happily.

I'm trying to freshly reinstall the game so I can continue playing as I'm really enjoying it and have been so excited for it. If anyone can point me in the right direction, even a tutorial on how to make steam forget everything and install a clean version of the game, that would be very appreciated.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Game unplayable after bug? Started when I used the spell foresight in exam.

#2 Post by hanako » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Yes, we ran into some issues with foresight which we're patching but people who'd used it already may still have problems.
As for your current bug, I think spiky put a fix for _reload problems on the Steam beta branch (it'll probably go onto the main branch after he's had some sleep)

From a steam thread on the subject:
I've got a candidate fix in beta. To use it, right-click on Wolf Hall in your Steam library, select Properties, go to the 'Betas' tab, and switch to the beta named 'beta'. You may also need to verify files to force an update.
That MIGHT help. Or you might want to wait until Spiky is awake to be sure he can check on your problem. I'm pretty sleep-deprived myself right now! :lol:

jennyanydots123

Re: Game unplayable after bug? Started when I used the spell foresight in exam.

#3 Post by jennyanydots123 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Very understandable that you're sleepy! I'll give it a go, thank you for your response. I'm really enjoying the game so far!

Editing this post to say the Beta worked for me.