Final Exam Tips and Tricks

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Final Exam Tips and Tricks

#1 Post by hanako » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Use this thread to post solutions, secrets, and other items of interest you've found in the final exam. Or, if you're stuck, post your list of spells and ask for advice.

Please do not post bugs here, those go in the main development thread!

This exam features a time limit and a crystal orb.

Airy_sama

Re: Final Exam Tips and Tricks

#2 Post by Airy_sama » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:52 am

I am a very lost student send help, or cookies.

So I got several playthroughs going for basically every major path, and one for the minors where they have basically every 2 color combination of spells at either max, or near max. But while I figured my way into the hidden area with the apparatus, and through other things figured I needed to find the crystal ball to put into it. But I've tried everything I can think of including several violent actions against the monster inside.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:02 am

To try and keep a nudge subtle...

If you have a high White character, try casting Find Spirits. That might tell you something useful.

Arent

#4 Post by Arent » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Airy_sama wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:52 am
I am a very lost student send help, or cookies.

So I got several playthroughs going for basically every major path, and one for the minors where they have basically every 2 color combination of spells at either max, or near max. But while I figured my way into the hidden area with the apparatus, and through other things figured I needed to find the crystal ball to put into it. But I've tried everything I can think of including several violent actions against the monster inside.
If you have a blue character or make clever use of Donald, it's rather straighforward.

If you come accross the Hodag, teleport it away. If you get hit from nowhere, cast true sight. Let Donald crush the monster two times. Take the orb & search with true sight for an illusionary wall in the middle of one of the four corridors. In there place the orb & let everyone touch the apparatus. They need a certain amount of mana left, I think 10 mana

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Post by hanako » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:06 pm

A cheap spell that might be unexpectedly useful: Track Scent. (I'll leave it to you to figure out how it's useful...)

Ses

#6 Post by Ses » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Is it a requirement to use fighty magic? I was so conditioned by both games to never use violence that it took me several attempts and reading this thread to realize that the crystal was being carried by the Big Jelly and that slaying it was required. My first few attempts all ran out of time. Is it also intentional that there are multiple spells Luke can't even cast without you instantly failing the exam? I had dozens of mana to spare and could only donate 10 of it.

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 pm

It should be possible to solve this without violence, but it's much harder. (And I probably should put in a separate achievement for it.)

If you 'examine' the Big Jelly, you get the option to take the crystal (the text is delaying oddly at the moment). It won't work, of course, because the Jelly is hanging onto it tightly. There are, iirc, two spells that you can use to incapacitate the Jelly without killing it and thus allow you to steal the crystal. Been a while since I tried it though...

touchandgo

#8 Post by touchandgo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 am

Attempting to get the crystal orb without hurting the Big Jelly and coming up empty. I'm unsure if it's possible for Blue/Green build to get it that way unless I'm missing something? I've tried:
- Stagger
- Teleport Other (Thought I might be able to teleport the Big Jelly or Orb away from each other)
- Entagle
- Scramble senses
- Slow
- Blind
- Boost strength

LateWhiteRabbit

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:46 pm

touchandgo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 am
Attempting to get the crystal orb without hurting the Big Jelly and coming up empty. I'm unsure if it's possible for Blue/Green build to get it that way unless I'm missing something? I've tried:
- Stagger
- Teleport Other (Thought I might be able to teleport the Big Jelly or Orb away from each other)
- Entagle
- Scramble senses
- Slow
- Blind
- Boost strength
There IS a non-violent way to get the crystal orb from the Big Jelly. You can cast Sleep on it if you have high Green / White magic. Then you can just Examine the Big Jelly and pluck the Orb out of its grasp.

Also, if you have White magic, Awareness is pretty OP in this exam. Depending on where you spawn, you can cast it first turn and pretty much get the entire layout of the dungeon, including the two hidden areas.

Also, because I was on the Minnie love train and had been an excessive Study buddy, I successfully completed the final exam without Donald or Luke casting or using any spells or expending any mana except to charge the orb at the end. I feel like Professor Potsdam should have called us out on not using teamwork, or at least have Donald or Luke get kind of annoyed at me for pulling a Minnie on them. Some flavor text to cover that possibility would be nice. Oh, and in case anyone is curious, Tap the Flow is what makes all this possible.