Wolf Hall - Beta Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
Arent

Re: Routes/walkthroughs/tips/secrets

#16 Post by Arent » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:22 pm

hanako wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 pm
They all work a little differently and some are much harder than others. The hardest, so far, is Corrinna. Luke is the easiest, since the PC knows Luke fairly well and can just hang out with him whenever, he doesn't have to get lucky about bumping into him in weird places.

Pastel's is an offshoot of Minnie's route and is a straightforward choice between them. If you choose Pastel you'll get some extra scenes and backstory with her and then the final dance, but you'll lose Minnie, obviously. Earlier in the year, the PC is intentionally avoiding Pastel, so without the Minnie interactions to force him to talk to her, it won't happen.
Wow, thank's for the tips. Although, err, maybe you should leave it to the players to work out the details :wink:

Since Pastel is a childhood friend & seems lonely, I did actually care a bit about her. But of course it would be really mean to dump Minnie. Well, I guess I'll stick to my morals then :mrgreen:

Someone around mentioned already the Corrinna route. Maybe he'll come back & tell us. Or I have to send a PM. (Please let him have the honors to reveal the route, Hanako)

hanako
Site Admin

#17 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 pm

Given that the game is not released and still in testing I have to correct people and post instructions on how to reach content so that it can be properly tested. I can't have people posting incorrect guides, and I need to funnel as many people as possible through as many scenes as possible.

There's a reason there aren't a lot of threads right now. The game is still incomplete and still changing. Most discussion needs to be in the beta thread so it can be linked to what the version was at the time of posting. I'm trying to keep all discussion (with the exception of the dungeons) centralised until launch.

Sorry about that, I should have locked it when you first posted. I know it spoils your fun a little bit which is why I didn't want to do it, but it really is critical at this point in time while we're trying to get the game finalised. (For example, when the new character routes I'm writing at the moment get added, I'm going to tell people exactly how to reach them, because we need to be sure people look at them so we can get this thing done! :) ) I promise I'm trying to get us to the free-and-open-posting land as fast as I possibly can.

(Topic merged into the main Beta thread.)

Arent

#18 Post by Arent » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 pm

hanako wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 pm
Sorry about that, I should have locked it when you first posted. I know it spoils your fun a little bit which is why I didn't want to do it, but it really is critical at this point in time while we're trying to get the game finalised.
No problem. It's true that scenes should be tested.

Then I'll play around now with the poetry club and hopefully the Corinna route ;)

Arent

Re: Wolf Hall - Beta Testing Thread

#19 Post by Arent » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 pm

If you "read poetry" and then "ask Ms. Darden" to help you with preparing a poem, everything goes well at the poetry meeting. However, in your diary, it says "I never managed to prepare" a poem. I don't think that's intended.

I also got the Pastel route & it seems fine, didn't notice any errors.

Is there any way to actually win election against Minnie? I turned her down & used various combination of names, helping others study etc., but it seems that doesn't help.

Apart from that, I might need some pointers for Corinna. Just having the poetry meeting going over "very well" (Either the anthology or asking your parents) doesn't seem to change anything.

hanako
Site Admin

#20 Post by hanako » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:18 pm

No, if you turn Minnie down she'll use that against you to win. There is no solo president plotline.

Corrinna's side route is extremely hard to find. (Trying to be a bit vague) Being in the poetry club is a good start, but you'll also need to find a different arts-and-culture club to invite her to join with you, give her a gift to express your admiration, and invite her to attend a performance with you. After all that you'll be on friendly terms and be able to ask her to the Ball.

mucalphasig

#21 Post by mucalphasig » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:13 am

After failing exam 4 and getting detention, I received the following error.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 42, in script call
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 980, in script
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 42, in script call
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 980, in script
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\ast.py", line 613, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\exports.py", line 1142, in say
    who(what, interact=interact)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\character.py", line 876, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\character.py", line 715, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\character.py", line 507, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 2495, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 2848, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 1924, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 416, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6687)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2859)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 685, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3321)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2859)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 685, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3321)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\screen.py", line 623, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/accelerator.pyx", line 108, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render (gen\renpy.display.accelerator.c:2027)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1214, in render
    self.update(st, at)
  File "C:\Users\missa\Desktop\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1201, in update
    child, redraw = self.function(st, at, *self.args, **self.kwargs)
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.2.2029+SPIKY

Arent

#22 Post by Arent » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:43 pm

hanako wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:18 pm
No, if you turn Minnie down she'll use that against you to win. There is no solo president plotline.

Corrinna's side route is extremely hard to find. (Trying to be a bit vague) Being in the poetry club is a good start, but you'll also need to find a different arts-and-culture club to invite her to join with you, give her a gift to express your admiration, and invite her to attend a performance with you. After all that you'll be on friendly terms and be able to ask her to the Ball.
Waah, that was really difficult.

Played through Ellen's route, didn't encounter errors.

Played though Corrina's route, didn't either.

Actually, the only errors I sometimes encounter are if you do very outlandish actions in dungeons.

hanako
Site Admin

#23 Post by hanako » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm

mucalphasig wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:13 am
After failing exam 4 and getting detention, I received the following error.
This is, we hope, fixed in the latest patch.

hanako
Site Admin

#24 Post by hanako » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:59 pm

0.8.7 update

This is generally fixing a bunch of bugs, adjusting the visuals around the yearbook/epilogue, fixing a bunch of visual errors involving the dress robes, and starting to add Kickstarter-sponsored inscriptions to the dungeons. (Long hair on skinny PCs was leaving a noticeable gap between the hair and the dress robes, and on the fatter PC bodies there was miscolored skin showing)

* Improved transitions into and out of yearbook.
* Added a yearbook upload confirmation.
* Wards should now work.
* Debug messages trimmed.
* Lightning damage now both magical and electrical.
* ImmuneToMagic condition actually works.
* Nains Rouges now actually apply their conditions' DamageFilters to determine whether they take damage.
* Fixed a crash reporting things that aren't us nudging force walls. (...which doesn't fix the more general problems reporting force-wall nudges, because we SHOULD see a nudge when something tries to walk through and we can see it, but instead we only get the nudge reported when we CAN'T see it...)
* No longer report detailed damage types for Bladen Beast melee attacks. ("The Bladen Beast does 7 Cutting points of damage to you."->"You take 7 damage.")
* Fixed a missing Suki sprite in the Dec 14 detention.
* Suki auto-talker failure now gives a spritecrash button instead of crashing the game.
* Fixed bug where chorale membership would cause the game not to upload co-president status to the yearbook.
* Dungeon help screen prototype in.
* Override F1 to bring up dungeon help in the dungeon. This stops the bug where each time you pressed F1, it would start a new context (requiring an extra click to dismiss)
* @ sign and lowercase E (z-caron) added to Jester. (This fixes a missing character in the credits)
* Candidate fix for the blitter.rotate_into crash.
* Candidate fix for crash casting Drain Charm on a Floor.
* added inscribe_on_random_exposed_surface() function.
* Tutorial 1 backer inscriptions in.
* Backer inscriptions added to exam1, tutorial1, tutorial2, and tutorial3.
* Hopscotch constrained to the north part of exam3.
* Fading inscriptions now work and correctly interpolate.
* Backer inscription in exam3.
* Backer inscriptions for tutorial4.
* Fixed crash in inscribe_on_random_floor() (the HOLE backer message).
* Fixed crash applying tutorial2 backer messages.
* Initialize a bunch of exam6 and exam7 variables, so affected saves will now complain about getting a StoreDeleted instead.
* No longer create a tutorial8() automatically when randmap is loaded.
* Stray gold bits on fatPC silver trim shoulder graphics cleared up.
* Updated fatPC skin layers in.
* Now use formal robe variants of the long hairstyle.
* Fixed a crash wearing a suit if you have long brown hair.
* Final exam timeout should no longer crash.
* Timeout should now trigger when time reaches zero instead of when it reaches -1.
* FatPC cheek drown above hair so it doesn't look stupid with unruly.
* Scrubber for Inscribed full_msg field added.
* Fixed crash initializing tutorial4 inscriptions.

I'm currently working on writing Manuel + Nature Club scenes but they're not in yet.

Arent

#25 Post by Arent » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 pm

hanako wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:50 pm
Now is also the time to talk about character routes, as they come to an end. Not all endings will meet everyone's tastes, obviously, but if something really didn't work for you, feel free to post about it (spoiler text please!) and explain why. We do sometimes tweak things. Virginia's ending in the first game got altered because it wasn't giving the right emotional cues, iirc. Also feel free to talk about endings you DO like (again, spoilers) - feedback is the best gift!

(1) Barbara's route was nice. Funny character, I especially laughed when she was "murdering" her pudding ;) She could be even more feral, but I think it's ok as she is.
(2) Minnie's route was also nice. Her overworking in fact fits her character perfectly. The political backstory was a bit illogical, since it is implied that mixing magic and technology did in fact lead to disaster & Minnie of all people would be the first to try to find a balanced solution.
(3) Ellen's route surprised me a little, because I would have expected Damien to "fight" for her. But he somehow just vanishes. The Ghost story was a nice touch since it explained a lot of other things in the game.
(4) Pastel I think was rather well written. The story of "childhood friends" and her slightly desperate behavior made me care for her. The only gripe is that I have to dump Minnie for her, which is not a nice thing to do.
(5) Corinna's route was of course small and extremely hard to figure out. There is one problem I have with it: In the end/at the dance, immediately revealing one's own secrets and immediately offering her hospitality comes a little too fast. There need to be a few additonal sentences to have a better text flow:

Player: "You are a Dhampir!"
Corinna: "You- you know about - "
Player: "We have Vampire Bloodlines in my homeland"
Player: She must be trying to decide whether to become a full vampire or not.
Player: "Actually I have a secret to confess as well."
Player: "I'm not XXXXXX. I choose that name to hide my identity, because my parents are the magical rulers of Illyria.
Corinna: She blinks a few times.
Player: "I've gotten used to the name though. I might keep it. At least as an alias."
Player: "I'm telling you this because I want to offer you the hospitality of my house."
Corinna: "Why?"
Player "You are graduating and you are an adult now, but you are not certain what to do with your future, yes?"

-> That's in my opinion a little bit to fast, although other players might disagree.

On might add a few sentences:

Player: "You are a Dhampir!"
Corinna: "You- you know about - "
Player: "We have Vampire Bloodlines in my homeland"
Player: She must be trying to decide whether to become a full vampire or not.
Corinna: "I - I'm sorry. I hope that is not a problem."
Player: "No - no, not at all!"
Player: "Actually... I also have not been entirely honest."
Player: Since I know her secret now, it wouldn't be fair to keep this charade up.
Corinna: "What do you mean?"
Player: "I have a little secret as well. I'm not XXXXXX. I choose that name to hide my identity."
Corinna: "Your name is not XXXXXXX?"
Player: "Yes, you see... it's because my parents are the magical rulers of Illyria."
Player: There, I said it.
Corinna: She blinks a few times.
Player: "I've gotten used to the name though. I might keep it. At least as an alias."
Player: "I'm telling you this because I want to offer you the hospitality of my house."
Corinna: "Why?"
Player "You are graduating and you are an adult now, but you are not certain what to do with your future, yes?"

Ses

#26 Post by Ses » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:29 am

When I first bought into Wolf Hall I was pretty excited for a lot of the girls, especially Barbara and Minnie. As I played I fell deeper and deeper into the Raven stan rabbit hole though. I absolutely loved Raven's dialogue and took her from "cute character design" to "favorite girl in the series Snake Hall when". It did feel like I hit a failure state though when it cut to credits and said Raven(Friend), I went pretty crazy trying to find the "full" ending. Now that I know it was the full ending I'm really happy with it overall. I'm starting my Angela playthrough now.

I squealed unreasonably shrilly when Raven got the protagonist Tales of Dagon, it was such a thoughtful gift.

hanako
Site Admin

#27 Post by hanako » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 pm

0.8.16 Update

* Manuel side route added.
* Nature club added.
* Added new lines to Corrinna ball scene.
* Effect tab hint in. (Triggerable the first time you encounter a Legacy Wand or when top_(flirty, laid-back, scheming, sporty) are called.
* Dungeon Help screen added.
* All sponsored dungeon inscriptions added.
* Big Jelly Empathy reaction in.
* Big Jelly Communicate reaction in.
* Hodag plays the cat_attack noise when it attacks.
* Hodag Communicate response in.
* Big Jelly Mindstorm reaction updated.

* Mindstorm now calls Reaction_Mindstorm_Applied() on the unit if it exists. (Because having units drop their inventory when Mindstormed meant that the game would crash because the player dropped all his clothes...)
* Diamondizing walls should now block Dig.
* Drain Magic now only drains from living or sentient units. (So not Force Walls.)
* Burn Magic no longer crashes when used on a target with no MP.
* Burn Magic now only burns living or sentient units. (So not Force Walls.)

* Now display an error message when a monster tries to get something but fails.
* Fixed scrubber for QueuedCastOn, so Big Jellies can drain right after loading.
* Now track whether the Jelly still had HP when we won the final.
* Sparkles reworked so the anim hides them automatically when it triggers, so we'll no longer have the Apparatus glowies showing up on load. This might incidentally turn the glowies invisible in old saves that had them sitting around.
* Restore the statbar in an additional place when you fall down a hole in the tutorial. Fixes the bug where, if you pushed yourself down a hole in the tutorial and then clicked 'Dismiss', only the stress bubble would return. (It was fine if you clicked 'Next')
* Fixed a crash entering the dungeon (caused by screens loading before the party was fully initialized.)
* Inscribing random exposed surfaces now uses a better algorithm to determine whether the surface is exposed.
* Now actually check the eligibility function if inscribing on a random exposed niche wall.
* Eligibility function for tutorial1 inscriptions should exclude the part before the darkness. Tutorial1 backer inscriptions constrained to floor or back wall.
* Debug messages trimmed.
* Now only save the RNG log for tutorial8 if we have environ.verbose set.
* Dungeon console text width now shorter if we have a party.

* Now give the correct diary entry if you got a William point for Darden's poem.
* Raven relationship now coded as Raven (dance) instead of Raven (friend). Note: This doesn't affect already-uploaded yearbook pages.
* Hide Grabiner after learning Drain Magic.
* Dialog box falls out after William's scavenger hunt assignment.
* Dialog box falls out after Barbara's sock quest; when Logan and Luke drag you to the mall; after window shopping; after Grabiner's review session; after studying with Minnie; after ignoring Donald&Luke's prank plans in week5; after agreeing to distract Ellen; after William tells you about Potsdam's gardening merit-quest; getting dungeon hints from Minnie; after seeing Barbara hiss at Minnie, after election week chorale practice; ignoring William sneaking around late at night in week7; after giving up in week8; after giving up in exam3.
* Dialog box in Cloak-learning scene.
* 'mood in the gymn is a bit more subdued' typo fixed.
* Potsdam should fade (and posechange) properly at the end of the Ward scene.
* Manuel spritecrash button no longer says "Error finding Minnie sprite."
* Fade and dialog box at end of Wrong Way scene.
* Shift Potsdam to neutral in Mind Wall scene.
* Lazy now laid-back in script.
* Glasses now drawn above fatPC cheeks.
* Nature Club tweak to Minnie date in.
* Potsdam stars out after the Regenerate lesson.
* Fixed crash when you go to sound debugging.
* QueuedSetTimeLimit scrubber in.
* Dhampir codex entry now one page.
* Remove the 'Help' button from the codex.

hanako
Site Admin

#28 Post by hanako » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Instructions for reaching the Manuel route:

Don't become President. Vote for Manuel so he becomes Treasurer. Join the Nature Club. That combination will let you interact with him enough to choose him at Christmas.

Lucy

#29 Post by Lucy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 pm

I hadn't played in months but I've just caught up with all paths except Barbara.

I *love* the Luke side path - he's adorable.

Bug: In the final exam, trying to push your friends into the abyss results in an error message and pushing yourself in results in the game skipping forward to after the exam (it skips all the Potsdam dialogue you normally get).

surreal_chameleon

#30 Post by surreal_chameleon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Typo in Angela's dance scene: "exhileration" should be written as "exhilaration".

Some thoughts on the endings:

General: I looked far and wide for opportunities to "lose your honor, your life, or even your soul", but to no avail. Do these opportunities exist? If they don't, would you consider putting some in? Or at least one tragic outcome for the Damien storyline that's comparable to what happened in the Horse Hall one?

The appearance of the Laurel sprite was a hidden surprise, almost to the point of being an Easter egg. Better late than never. The pc mentions his surprise at how athletic she is. I haven't tested a sports club pc, but he would need a different response under these circumstances.

Minnie and Ellen's version of the final scene in the woods of Illyria weren't as satisfying as the other 3 characters. In Barbara's version, there's a resolution to a conflict. In Damien and William's, there's a narrative prompt that suggests something very interesting is about to happen. In Minnie and Ellen's, we don't know anything other than the fact that they're writing friendly letters to the pc. What's going on in their lives? What's the big picture view of their relationship with the pc? Are Minnie and the pc cooking up political schemes? Is Ellen mastering the scrying crystal? "Musette says hi." or the like would be an interesting final sentence for that route.

Raven: My favorite of the side routes. I felt like she changed due her association with the pc, in a natural and gradual sort of way.

Angela: Yes, this was as enjoyable as I thought it would be. "I will turn your face to alabaster/ When you'll find your servant is your master", as the song goes. And it's entirely appropriate that she doesn't sign the yearbook.

Corrina: This was intellectually satisfying, as we get to learn her secret and some lore about the world. I figured she would either be a vampire or some sort of Asian shapeshifter. It's interesting that being a vampire is more akin to being a vocation like joining the priesthood than being a disease or an entirely inherited condition. On the downside, I guess this means we won't be seeing sprites in a future game where a ravenous Corrina succumbs to her condition, her eyes and hair wild, her refined demenor giving way to slavering fangs and hands hooked into claws? Oh well.

A few questions:

In the electioneering cut-in picture, there's a picture of Jacob and an individual from Toad Hall campaigning. Is the Toad a major character? Maybe the South Asian man mentioned in the Thanksgiving scene?
Which house does Anisha belong to?