Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#1 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:44 am

Use this thread to post solutions, secrets, and other items of interest you've found in the second exam. Or, if you're stuck, post your list of spells and ask for advice.

Please do not post bugs here, those go in the main development thread!

This exam features a passage filled with poison gas.

phoenixgirl

Re: Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#2 Post by phoenixgirl » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 am

Is there a way to pass this exam on a black magic build? The last black magic spell I have is shape stone.
Please help and support me here.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:19 am

You can use Shape Stone to change the rubble near the pressure trigger into something more useful.

ViviFellow

#4 Post by ViviFellow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:35 pm

You can easily pass the exam on a green magic build.

You just need at least take 2-3 classes in the gym for Strong points, and 15 green pt for "Boost Strenght" spell. Use the spell right before the danger zone, and you're done!

MillaMaxwell

#5 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:40 pm

You can also pass this exam if you go to the gym a lot:

If your HP is high enough, you can just tank the gas, although you should probably cast Inspect on something first if you want any merits.

touchandgo

#6 Post by touchandgo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:05 am

ViviFellow wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:35 pm
You can easily pass the exam on a green magic build.

You just need at least take 2-3 classes in the gym for Strong points, and 15 green pt for "Boost Strenght" spell. Use the spell right before the danger zone, and you're done!

You don't even need to visit the gym, I managed to tank through it just using "Boost Strength" (although you can't stop. If you pause/do anything other than moving to the stairs you run out of HP).

Runespoor

#7 Post by Runespoor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Is it possible to pass the exam with a White build? I have Awareness, Communication, Distraction, Empathy, Spirit Echoes, Tap the Flow, Distraction. (I've also picked up Silence in Blue.)

fairfaxleasee

#8 Post by fairfaxleasee » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:14 am

I am totally stuck on this one. I've been doing a blue/black/white build. I have:

Breeze
Light
Silence
True Sight
Far Sight
Diagnosis
Inspection
Spirit Sense
Empathy
Communication

I've found the "Nox Mani" and tried inscribing it on various things but can't get out...

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm

If you can figure out what Trigger does in this exam (and why it alone is not sufficient to win) then you should be able to figure out a use for Televoke, now that it's easier to get.

Otherwise, Breeze is worth experimenting with.

fairfaxleasee

#10 Post by fairfaxleasee » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:06 pm

hanako wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm
If you can figure out what Trigger does in this exam (and why it alone is not sufficient to win) then you should be able to figure out a use for Televoke, now that it's easier to get.

Otherwise, Breeze is worth experimenting with.
I figured out it will press the button for me but not set in the delay long enough to be useful, but (if I recall what televoke does correctly) I can see where I could get out with that...

Salaris

#11 Post by Salaris » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:09 pm

For a red build, I was able to push the boulder around until it was able to sit on the switch near the gas, keeping the gas off.

touchandgo

#12 Post by touchandgo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Is it possible to pass this exam with a purely white build? I have Breeze, Light, Diagnosis, Inspection, Spirit Sense, Tap the Flow, Empathy, Communication, Spirit Echoes, Awareness, Distraction and Fear. I assume there is a way since no one else has said anything but I'm honestly pretty baffled. I've worked out where the trigger is but it isn't a long enough time to walk through the gas and I don't have any spells to move the boulder or effect the pile of rocks on the button tile. I know you hinted at using breeze but it doesn't seem to effect the gas (before & after you press the trigger) and I can't seem to find another tile in which it effects something. There's something obvious I'm missing I'm sure but I don't know what.

motmetod

#13 Post by motmetod » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm not very knowledgable about how the spells work, but that looks impossible to me (referring to the previous post). As someone said you can pass it by going to the gym a lot, but of course then you'd probably rather take a few classes of another magic type; that'd be more effective. 5 in red for Push is a pretty modest investment, for example.

I'm not sure what Breeze is supposed to do, either.

hanako
Site Admin

#14 Post by hanako » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Breeze should do something if you are standing directly adjacent to or inside the poison gas. So not at the tile with the button, that's too far away. It does not make the gas go away completely, but it should have an effect, which might help if you have the strength for it.

motmetod

#15 Post by motmetod » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. Casting Breeze will reduce the poison damage by half in adjacent squares for one turn, so you can take 10+20 damage instead of 20+20. This way you'd only need 31 health to survive. That's still (at least) 6 gym classes though, a little excessive at this point in the game unless you're doing gym anyway. If Breeze lasted for 2 turns and had twice the range you could do it with just a single gym class. Just a thought.