Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#61 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Save errors should hopefully be fixed in the latest patch, though if you loaded a save in the buggy version and re-saved it, that re-save is likely permanently buggy.

Barbara:
Joining the Student Council blocks her route.
Barbara should be willing to go to the play with you if she likes you, but again, not if you're on the Student Council.

jellybi

#62 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 pm

I wasn't sure about the "scheming" personality auto-interaction with William when he asks you to help Ellen. It's fun getting a custom response, but it feels like MC acts in a pretty alienating manner (aggressively demanding a favor when William is clearly uncomfortable with that response and expected MC to have a mutual interest in keeping Ellen from being hurt). It ultimately didn't even feel all that savvy since he appeared to be burning his future social cred with William for a really minor potential advantage. It might be more "schemer"y to agree to the favor and then later bring it up when asking for something from William.

Also since I saw this on the 3rd playthrough or so, I already knew that you don't even need to guilt William into helping you get those merits, the opportunity would happen anyway, so you don't really "get" anything out of it besides a vague worry that you've sabotaged a William-focused playthrough.

arcturuse

#63 Post by arcturuse » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Following on the note of student council, if I decide not to run for President, does it cut off William's route? I tried not running once and the interactions with William decreased (and later on there was a pop-up of "Low relationship with William" or something like that) although I'm not sure if that's because I picked seducing Damien instead of befriending Ellen so that could also be the reason why my relationship with William fell out??

mooncookies

#64 Post by mooncookies » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 pm

I'm not sure how to upload an image but in the second exam (with the abyss) I can detect charms on the left side and it tells me about a trigger on the floor (which I can press by examining) but then when I examine there's nothing there.. Is it possible to complete that dungeon with a green only route?

hanako
Site Admin

#65 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 pm

arcturuse wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 pm
Following on the note of student council, if I decide not to run for President, does it cut off William's route? I tried not running once and the interactions with William decreased (and later on there was a pop-up of "Low relationship with William" or something like that) although I'm not sure if that's because I picked seducing Damien instead of befriending Ellen so that could also be the reason why my relationship with William fell out??
Not running for President doesn't cut off William's route, but depending on how a whole bunch of other interactions went, he may have decided that you're no longer interested in his company. There's a lot of possible give and take with him. It's not as simple as "if you do this one thing you definitely can't date him".

hanako
Site Admin

#66 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:24 pm

mooncookies wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 pm
I'm not sure how to upload an image but in the second exam (with the abyss) I can detect charms on the left side and it tells me about a trigger on the floor (which I can press by examining) but then when I examine there's nothing there..
It's talking about the carving.
Is it possible to complete that dungeon with a green only route?
Yes.

EDIT: Wait rereading this post I'm confused which exam you're talking about. The second exam is the gas one. If you're getting a trigger note in the third exam with the abyss, I'm not sure what this was about after all...

ParrotWatcher

#67 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I guess that jellibi's problems with "scheming" fit with my problems with "flirty": it is nice to see more custom text, but if it goes too far, it can lead to the character not feeling right.

Also, how many years are there in the school? :/ I had assumed 4, from my admittedly limited knowledge of US high schools, but characters only seem to be from the first and last years, and William says that it's Donald's seventeenth birthday.

How can you tell if you're on William's route? I didn't run for president, but I did take him to the play. Are there any more scenes you can get with him after that?

I really liked the secret poetry society. It seems like such a believable, yet pedestrian reason to have a secret society. :lol:

hanako
Site Admin

#68 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm

It's four years but it's not a high school, it starts at the age of 16. The freshman/senior thing is just because you're a freshman and you interact with a lot of seniors during Initiation, so characters tend to come from there. There are a few characters from other years around (Kyo for one, he's a sophomore) and most of the Kickstarter cameo characters will be sophomores and juniors.

There aren't official 'routes' until after Christmas, really. So at this point you're not on anyone's route. Your relationship values will determine whose routes you CAN follow later. If a character seems to like you and willingly hangs out with you, you're probably good.

cheshjabber

#69 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 pm

ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Also, how many years are there in the school? :/ I had assumed 4, from my admittedly limited knowledge of US high schools, but characters only seem to be from the first and last years, and William says that it's Donald's seventeenth birthday.
There are four years in the school, but it's 16-20, not 14-18. You get that info in Horse Hall, but now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing it in Wolf Hall yet.

Which reminds me - how are Donald and Virginia in the same year? If I remember right, Virginia's birthday is in February, so with Donald's in October, they can't be just five months apart, can they? And who was Donald's senior, anyway? :lol:
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

hanako
Site Admin

#70 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:37 pm

It's William who has a birthday in February. Virginia's a summer birthday (and was born premature). So she was born less than a year after Donald.

ParrotWatcher

#71 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Okay, that makes sense.

Also, do I need to be co-president to meet Manuel? Because the only time I even saw him was at the elections... :(

hanako
Site Admin

#72 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Manuel's side route stuff is not yet written at all! At this point he is just a quick cameo of a character who appears in, like, two scenes total. Since a lot of this will depend on the route sponsor, I have no idea yet what's going to happen with him.

cheshjabber

#73 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:37 pm
It's William who has a birthday in February. Virginia's a summer birthday (and was born premature). So she was born less than a year after Donald.
Ohhh, that's right! I remembered needing to help Donald pick out a birthday gift around that time in HH, and that there was a gift-related kerfluffle with Virginia in February, so I guess my spotty memory squashed those together as being part of the same thing. :lol: But Virginia's February present was a Valentine's event, wasn't it? ^^;

By the way, on Potsdam's sprites with her hand on her face like this, it sort of looks like her hand is backwards? The visible finger looks like her thumb, but if you put your hand on your face like that, that's where your pinky would be. :shock:
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

FantasyFan

#74 Post by FantasyFan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Huh, I made a post in this thread but now I can't find it. Anyway, let me say I LOVE the Midnight Poetry Club addition and that I can now join the chorale club. :D On my first playthrough I failed every exam - maybe I was just being stupid, but the opening announcements seemed much vaguer than they were in the original game.

Also, the options with the dialogue boxes that pop up during exams are kind of confusing. I thought "continue" simply meant "continue playing," and it wasn't until I fell into a pit when I realized that "continue" meant "move forward." You might want to think about changing that.

Oh, and I WANT TO DATE BLAISE! If not in this game, than in a later game. E seems like an awesome character.

hanako
Site Admin

#75 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm

FantasyFan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:51 pm
Also, the options with the dialogue boxes that pop up during exams are kind of confusing. I thought "continue" simply meant "continue playing," and it wasn't until I fell into a pit when I realized that "continue" meant "move forward." You might want to think about changing that.
Continue doesn't mean move forward.

You may have been in a situation where you were stepping forward already and had multiple text boxes that described what happened to you while you were stepping forward?

If, for example, you stepped forward into a dark square that contained a pit, you would probably have gotten one text box about moving into darkness and then another about OH CRAP FALLING afterwards.