Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#556 Post by hanako » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:27 pm

You can do it without going onto the Damien/William/Ellen routes if you 'distract' Damien in the first semester and then dump him. That way, he never makes a play for Ellen's sympathies at the Dark Dance, and she's out of his reach for the rest of the game. (At least, this is supposed to work.) You should be able to dump him as early as the Dark Dance and successfully foil his plans for the rest of the year, then go on to whoever you really wanted to focus on.

deathscoming

#557 Post by deathscoming » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:29 pm

OKay, thank you very much

surreal_chameleon

#558 Post by surreal_chameleon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:01 am

First off, a few bugs and continuity errors:

When on Barbara's route and the pc is questioned by Grabiner about the fire incident, the pc will say "I'm her boyfriend" even if you've chosen to be friends.

When on William's route and you choose "Say good-bye", William leaves the room and then suddenly the pc and William are having a conversation about the harm that Damien inflicted. You don't see William's sprite during this dialogue as you normally would. A unneeded cut 'n paste and a missing label jump perhaps?

And now, comments about the routes:

Ellen: My favorite route in terms of the dramatic stakes. Musette does tend to steal the scene. (She's certainly stolen my heart! Alas, sweet Ellen, there is a Snake tempting me in our Garden of Eden...)

Minnie: The Pastel disruption was fun, but I'm looking forward to teaming up with Minnie against the System. At least, that's what I hope is coming next.

William: Wow, three different resolutions for the conflict with Damien: Surrender, Wizard's Duel, and Ironic No-Show. Wizard's Duel was an unexpected surprise, even without the unique soundtrack and cg of the normally gentle William looking all bad-ass. If you have a rematch scene coming up, I'd like to see them do things that are beyond what freshmen wizards are capable of. Like the Snape vs McGonagall or the Voldemort vs Dumbledore duels in the Harry Potter series.

Damien: My, but he's a good deal darker than he was in Horse Hall. I don't see any credible way that the pc could end up with him, particularly in light of the threat that he was going to carry out in the Ironic No-Show scene. (By the way, that scene, while exceedingly creepy, loses some of its punch when your pc is wearing dark shades. Not much you can do about that, of course. At least he wasn't wearing the elf ears!) I take it from your earlier comment that Damien doesn't have a plan C? That if you dump him before the Dark Dance, you've neutralized him as a threat for the rest of the game? Okay, but it seems odd that he'd give up on trying to obtain a soul. Maybe he could mysteriously disappear during the second semester? Possibly as a punishment by his backers in the Otherworld?

Barbara: I don't get the same sense of rising tension in her route that I do in the other ones. Ellen's route: Musette is dwindling away and there's a threat of Ellen getting mindwiped. William/Damien: Damien escapes and is still at large. Minnie: There's an underground resistance fighter vibe overshadowing things, creating an undercurrent of tension even if Minnie's fears turn out to be unfounded. The overarching threat in Barbara's route at this point in the story is... what, exactly? The fact that her conflicts with authority keep increasing in magnitude? That after Spring Break, there will be a surprise conflict that could get her expelled and possibly put the pc's magic in jeopardy? Okay, so the endgame to her story begins a bit later. No big deal, no rule saying that the dramatic beats of each storyline all have to be in sync. Or maybe the story's final conflict will be a quiet struggle about Barbara overcoming past trauma, which doesn't necessarily lend itself to dramatic foreshadowing. Also okay. But if there's a good way to put in a dash of that's-not-good-I-wonder-what-happens-next, like in the other routes, it would be worth doing.

Angela: It's interesting to see a --kinder isn't the right word, let's go with beneficial-- side to her. The way the pc channeled Angela's disdain in the post rejection scene with William wasn't kind, but it was an effective way to recover from adversity, which had the effect of making me respect Angela a bit. I do hope to find out what she wanted from William at the beginning of the game, and what she planned to do with his socks. Is it bad that I want to see her shocked face when the pc reveals his identity to her? Yeah, probably. I didn't say she was an entirely benign influence.

Corrina: It's a bit strange that she's only in one of the book club discussion scenes. Considering her limited exposure, this is probably the best place to put her. From what I suspect her secret to be, I imagine she might have some interesting things to say about gaining unexpected powers in the superhero discussion.

hanako
Site Admin

#559 Post by hanako » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:05 am

Major Damien spoiler discussion:

I take it from your earlier comment that Damien doesn't have a plan C? That if you dump him before the Dark Dance, you've neutralized him as a threat for the rest of the game? Okay, but it seems odd that he'd give up on trying to obtain a soul. Maybe he could mysteriously disappear during the second semester? Possibly as a punishment by his backers in the Otherworld?

It's not necessarily that he's given up on everything, but he's no longer a threat to the protagonist or anyone the protagonist personally cares about. WolfPC does not know everything that happens in the school. If Damien did "drop out" second semester, would WolfPC even know? William would know, but we're talking about a circumstance where we're no longer on William's route, so why would he tell us? So at least for the moment I don't really want to provide any detail at all on what Damien is up to once he's no longer part of WolfPC's story. Let him lurk menacingly in the unknown.

MillaMaxwell

#560 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:32 pm

The only issue I found is a minor typo on Raven's route: https://i.imgur.com/hFenfiJ.png

I thought the pacing for this week was generally great. I especially enjoyed William's route because seriously, the wizard's duel scene just perfect. Both for being cool and badass and in terms of actual character/relationship development! Barbara's route was a lot less dramatic this week than the others though. I know she had some drama the previous week, but that seemed to be resolved pretty quickly, so I'm hoping her story has some major development after spring break. I still really enjoy her route, but now that all the other routes I'm doing concurrently dropped major drama and/or plot twists, hers seems a little mellow.

Cautious91

#561 Post by Cautious91 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:59 am

All right, I can't help it. So far it appears that the blue guy has a straightforward plain villain role in this continuity, pure form, no nuances, no shades. :?: On one hand, I'd love to hear a "no, silly, the development isn't over yet, stop" to that conclusion, on the other hand, I don't want major spoilers, on the 3rd hand, I know I'd be disappointed if I turned out to be right, considering... :? Ok, don't mind me.
William though... yay for William! (Also ouch for William, but regardless). William is the man!
Great CG's. The best creepy face ever for one, pure awesomeness for the other.
Curious about Luke - does his route remain nothing for the MC to write home about right until the end of the year, or is it going to get into romantic territory at some point, just very-very late? I think I have a save where the MC is more involved with him (I get "Luke" pop-ups since February), but it looks like friendship route atm, despite the valentine exchange (which just gets handwaved in a single line of dialogue).

hanako
Site Admin

#562 Post by hanako » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am

Luke is a side route only, despite being probably the best developed of the side options at the moment. In general the side routes tend to be a little nebulous about whether they're friendly or romantic, because they have less time to talk about the implications or really follow through on a relationship. For Luke particularly I am planning to have them talk about it a little bit because, again, they know each other better than the other side routes, but it's still not going to get too heavy. The side routes don't have kiss CGs available. There's also the issue that some events with Luke only happen if the fire happened, and I'm still debating on whether to make those route-specific or just slightly more detailed if you're on his route. There's more room for discussion there if you're on his route, but then, if big developments happen there for his route, anyone who's president would miss it all.

Still waiting on Manuel, though I do expect his storyline to involve the not-yet-written mushroom-gathering club. I've got at least one cameo character who's supposed to appear in that, too.

noctiscorvus

Re: Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#563 Post by noctiscorvus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 pm

So I'm stuck in this dungeon because every time I go to push the boulder I get an error code and can only rollback. So I'm looking for alternative ways to get through it.
At the start of the exam my stats:
Magic 49
Health 23

And my spells:
Breeze Push Energise Spark Slash
Light Silence True Sight
Diagnosis Track Scent
Inspection Inscription
Spirit Sense Empathy Communication

Any help would be great. My previous save is one week before the exam so I can still change things up a bit, but the question is what?

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#564 Post by hanako » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:21 am

noctiscorvus wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 pm
So I'm stuck in this dungeon because every time I go to push the boulder I get an error code and can only rollback. So I'm looking for alternative ways to get through it.
At the start of the exam my stats:
Magic 49
Health 23

And my spells:
Breeze Push Energise Spark Slash
Light Silence True Sight
Diagnosis Track Scent
Inspection Inscription
Spirit Sense Empathy Communication

Any help would be great. My previous save is one week before the exam so I can still change things up a bit, but the question is what?
I moved this out of the tips-and-tricks for that dungeon because the ACTUAL answer is "get us to fix the push spell because it was being buggy" :) Should be working again in the latest update (see below)

If you're still getting Push errors after updating to 0.7.1 please let me know!

hanako
Site Admin

#565 Post by hanako » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:22 am

0.7.1 Bugfix Patch

* CGs for the Fall Play (Medea) are now in.
* Getting detention for self-destruction in exam7 now actually works.
* The "Say Goodbye" breakup option on William's path now ends the event.
* No longer get rhanked for being an attentive audience.
* Now jump to tutorial 8 after March 8th.
* No longer crash when you shove a boulder into a bigcell hole with a wall
immediately behind it.
* Fixed a Force Push-related crash that affected shoved objects.
* Actually silence save warning when timestampish (slow timestamp) screens
are present in saves.
* QueuedMoveAdjacent now does nothing if the object being moved is no longer
in the level. This fixes a bug where an object with multiple movements
queued might keep going (and thus reappear) after falling down a hole.
* Things fall down holes more reliably.
* Force Pushed status now actually wears off when a Force Pushed object does
damage.
* Finally fixed the bug where Force Pushing objects could get them stuck in
pillar cells
* Being burned by the Purple Glow now gives 'as you enter the' instead of 'as
you step into' if you're not on the floor (longjmping) or you're entering
involuntarily (push)
* Lava now uses a copy of the cell-occupant list so sharing the cell with
something that was destroyed no longer allows you to escape being burnt.
* lvl.RemoveAll now only removes instances of the specified class, instead
of removing every unit. This fixes a crash when you burnt yourself to
death in the lava tutorial, and possibly in other tutorial deaths.
* Debug messages trimmed.
* Entering a dungeon now immediately displays the correct minimap.
* Entering a dungeon now forces the first-person view to be redrawn.

This is pretty much just fixing some minor issues, but DOES include new graphics for the fall play. I would have waited until I had more scenes ready to put in, but I needed to fix the pushing problem before AdventureX this past weekend, so may as well give you guys that update.

waff1ez

#566 Post by waff1ez » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 am

What are they current available routes? It seems most backer routes are still out for now? Pastel, Angela, Corrina, Ball and Suki all of those seem to be not in yet?

hanako
Site Admin

#567 Post by hanako » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Pastel, Angela, and Corrinna are all available already. None of them are choose-at-Christmas options, though. Pastel and Angela are offshoots of other routes, and Corrinna is the "you will need a guide for this" hard option. (Pastel branches off from Minnie, and Angela branches off from William.)

It's Suki and Manuel who haven't been added at all yet.

They are all side options so none of them has as much content as a full route.

waff1ez

#568 Post by waff1ez » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 am

I realized the chalice dungeon is randomized, realized that when the frog won in like 3 or 4 steps it was really fast and surprised me.

I like Pastel she's cute but I dunno if I'll ever really do here route, can't bring myself to do it. It's hard for me to be that cold to Minnie. Other than that Angela is also difficult for me to do :(. However I do really like Corrina's route I almost got it done on my own buttttt I missed some super specific requirements and had to look up how to do it.

hanako
Site Admin

#569 Post by hanako » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:52 am

0.7.8 Update

* New scenes through to April 6th
* New CG for club signups scene
* New CG for valentines ordering scene
* New CG for holiday chorale concert
* Practice Dungeon 8 has an intro.
* Slight adjustment to Damien-route aftermath if choosing "I hope it never happens"
* Escaping a tutorial now gives "I leave the dungeon." instead of "I escape the dungeon."
* Dialog box falls out at end of 50 stress scene.
* Effect tab for Minnie inviting you jogging in one circumstances now says 'Jogging' rather than 'warmer'.

* Burn Magic spellcard now says up to 15-20 damage.
* Quickspell-assignment text a bit more readable.
* Improved debugging for WallTileFacingDarkened flickercontrollers.
* Fiddled with damage flickering for wall tiles.
* Wall tiles that are facing the player now flicker when blasted.
* Started fiddling with making wall tiles to the side of the player flicker when damaged.
* Fixed a crash in deer AI.
* Fixed a crash trying to flicker SkewWallHGrad quads.
* Damage notifications no longer try to propagate with SENSE_MAGIC.

Goes through Spring Break and the week after. Some events for all main routes, plus scenes for Pastel, Luke and Corrinna.

MillaMaxwell

#570 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:55 pm

I just finished playing through the new content for the various routes. I love it! All of the routes are equally fascinating and I look forward to seeing how everything turns out.

I also just wanted to note that on Barbara's route, during the discussion of her detective qualifications, I was suddenly struck by how much I want her and Rowen from Black Closet to be friends. If I was any good at drawing, I'd make so much crossover fanart for them! :lol: