Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#466 Post by hanako » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:16 pm

At the moment, no.

I'm not 100% sure on the progression with Minnie's route, but because of the problems we had talking about her here earlier and the reveals still to come with her storyline, it's been kind of hard to get input on how best to make this work.

She has, I hope, been giving signs before this point that she is interested in the protagonist?

I agree that it is a little railroaded. This is largely because her remaining story makes the most sense if they're dating and I felt like I'd better hurry up and get the protagonist into that mindset. :D Also, I've had to keep quiet about Minnie and Jacob's relationship for YEARS so that people could consider him a threat. Certain key conflicts still to come don't totally make sense for just-friends... but I can try to give it some more wiggle room.

Lucy

#467 Post by Lucy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:54 pm

I get why it would make more sense but I found it a bit jarring not to have a choice in it - it kind of went against what I intended for my character (even if *she* is interested, it doesn't mean *he* automatically is).

hanako
Site Admin

#468 Post by hanako » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Yeah, i'm fooling around with it. Next patch, we'll see.

Ryechu

#469 Post by Ryechu » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:47 am

To those who don't want to be spoiled, don't click the links!
Ooo, you're definitely right about the William thing. Both choices lead to interesting scenarios!

Typos:

Donald ordered cards for everyone "in" Wolf Hall, not "on"!
https://ibb.co/NTJB2sx | "whether it /has/ the same effect"
https://ibb.co/7znJjsd | who -> who've

Splices/Misc:

Comma splice: https://ibb.co/NNvhkCN | Also, maybe "Now's not a good time."?
Comma splice: https://ibb.co/n1x7V6Q | "and /it/ will"
Comma splice: https://ibb.co/t8RpmTD | "and /I'd/ lose" or losing the comma is a possibility.
Comma splice: https://ibb.co/YcM6vVy | This one's gonna be weird to write around. Gut feeling was to make the thing about D it's own full-blown sentence.
Comma splice: https://ibb.co/pJBNs16 | "recently, /since/ his hair"
Awkward Wording: https://ibb.co/xsgTqJk | Suggestion: "As we part, Ellen's cheeks are pink." I get that the line says that her cheeks are pink, not having some sort of verb in that may cause non-native speaker confusion.
Awkward Wording: https://ibb.co/MR9nfNf | Maybe it's a "My English isn't perfect" thing for Gary Stu, but "get a better understanding" might be something he'd pick up while he was there?
Run-on: https://ibb.co/xhWjcfL | "flirt, /so/ she probably" is the quickest solution.
Wording: https://ibb.co/9WvvWrm | Either "pay to /send/ cards and gifts to your friends" or "pay to /have/ cards and gifts sent"

Bugs:

Ellen's Kiss Scene: The music appears to completely stop following the CG + Jingle until the end of the scene, though this may be totally intentional.
100 Blue Magic scene: https://ibb.co/cys5wGz | Sprite expressions do not match.
William's Kiss Scene: Music continues through the CG + Jingle. Jingle is hard to hear.

hanako
Site Admin

#470 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 am

Notes for anyone on William's route:

There are three states you can be in at the end of the week. Pure friendship, where you either never sent him a Valentine or sent him a friendly one. Full romance, where you ended up kissing. Or romantic rejection, where he turned you down. Depending on your choices earlier in the game, you may be automatically pushed into the rejection route, or you may have a final choice that determines which way you go. None of these ends the route! They will all lead to more scenes later. But if you're unable to reach the Romance path because you can't convince William that you're strong-willed, ask for help.

Question for people doing Ellen's route:

Want to take any guesses about how Musette died before you get more information? :)

indiiea

#471 Post by indiiea » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm

For William's Route

Should it be possible to end up with negative money? It was kind of funny at first but now I fear I messed up William's path ^^; So I think I spent about §2 trying out mall opinions when I first played, then spent the rest to win the election, so I had §3. After I got William's birthday present it was §-2!

Now, when I asked William for money I still just had §3 and I ended up unable to send a Valentine. Maybe it would be better if he gives you the amount you need to send the card, or you're unable to go below zero from the start? :oops:

hanako
Site Admin

#472 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:54 pm

You're not supposed to be able to go negative (how would that make sense? :) ) so that's where the error happened, yes. Something clearly fell through a check unexpectedly.

We can adjust the present-buying scene in a future patch, but you'll have to back up a while to get back on course. (If you want to play in the meantime, if you back up far enough that you can spend your remaining $3 before you would need to buy William's present so that you're down to $0 that weekend, some different scenes should happen and you'll be able to get through okay.)

indiiea

#473 Post by indiiea » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 pm

I imagined my poor Gary was in debt :shock: Yay! I have a ton of saves for different choices so it's no problem to go back a little bit! :)

jak

#474 Post by jak » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:11 pm

hanako wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 am

Want to take any guesses about how Musette died before you get more information? :)
People aren't talking much about her demise. Not sure if the whole thing has been covered up, but I would expect the other students to be wary for themselves, or at least gossiping, if her death was something flashy . Probably most of the students are assuming that she just lost her powers and memory, another wildseed that, well, "didn't found the correct soil to grow".
So, I would exclude "being snuffed out by Damien", mostly because Damien is still in the school and Professor Potsdam (PP?) isn't using him as fertilizer.
Maybe she did one the many mistakes possible for a wildseed, but got caught in a pretty deadly one. Just like Ellen she has inquisitive mind and wants to understand the magical world. Probably just as Horse Hall!Ellen discovered how much is forbidden to try that, or to mix technology and magic. She wanted to experiment, but in secret, far away from the prying eyes of the professors. Or at least tried to, as I doubt that there are many places safe from Potsdam. But probably safe enough to not be saved (and punished) by her. Maybe magic and technology mix very badly and her experiment went BOOM. But honestly the prohibition against magitech seems a cultural taboo, and motivated more by fear to mix with the low world than by practical reasons. And technology seems to run without any real problem.
Maybe she tried to go in the Otherworld to run some experiment, take a photo or two, see what happens to a compass in that place, and that sort of things, and ended in tragedy as she hasn't any oath or bloodline to protect her. But in that case I would expect to find Grabby even more angry or depressed than usual, feeling guilty because he couldn't protect another student.
Maybe she just tried to overcame the lack of information using magical means, without breaking any rule, and made some pact with an Otherworld entity and got tricked. Like asking an opportunity to study ghosts and being granted death ("Now you study your condition!").
Ok, probably I'm quite wrong, but I wanted to try.

Lucy

#475 Post by Lucy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 pm

hanako wrote:

I was about to start typing an answer when I saw that Jak just posted one

I was about to say - no one seems to remember her death (including Musette herself!) so I'm guessing there might have been some spell to ensure that no one remembers? It's been a while since I played Horse Hall but I'm pretty sure Angela or Damien says that she got expelled or dropped out. Maybe they're not lying - that's what they actually think, because *someone made them think that*. As to how she died, I don't have any theories (other than some kind of science experiment gone wrong). I agree w/Jak that I don't think any current students would have been very involved/responsible because there's no way they would still be in school. But whatever happened, I'd guess that *someone* is trying to keep it quiet. I'm getting the sense from Minnie's path that Potsdam has a darker side that we don't fully know about, and she is definitely powerful enough to make everyone forget - but maybe that's getting too much into conspiracy theories. Very curious to learn more.

jak

#476 Post by jak » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Lucy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 pm
hanako wrote:

I was about to start typing an answer when I saw that Jak just posted one

I was about to say - no one seems to remember her death (including Musette herself!) so I'm guessing there might have been some spell to ensure that no one remembers? It's been a while since I played Horse Hall but I'm pretty sure Angela or Damien says that she got expelled or dropped out. Maybe they're not lying - that's what they actually think, because *someone made them think that*. As to how she died, I don't have any theories (other than some kind of science experiment gone wrong). I agree w/Jak that I don't think any current students would have been very involved/responsible because there's no way they would still be in school. But whatever happened, I'd guess that *someone* is trying to keep it quiet. I'm getting the sense from Minnie's path that Potsdam has a darker side that we don't fully know about, and she is definitely powerful enough to make everyone forget - but maybe that's getting too much into conspiracy theories. Very curious to learn more.
I don't think that Potsdam is using magic to tamper with the memories of all the students: she doesn't even need to do it. Musette's confusion could be a side effect of being, well, dead. We don't know how ghosts work in this setting, but is quite common that they have only some memories and need help with unfinished business. And usually students don't care much whenever a wildseed disappears: it just happens, some student just don't fit in, and if a students disappears, she/he probably just broke a rule. And maybe Musette already got a strike, so everyone think that she just insisted and got punished. Also, the purpose of the school seems to be the selection of people fit to live in the magic society. Grades aren't important: a mediocre witch isn't a danger to the society. But a reckless one, or someone too attached to the low world? That's a problem, and they weed out them. I'm not sure, but the school doesn't seems to put much emphasis to make an example of the drop outs. The rules are often not even stated before a student breaks the law. Seems that the school prefers that people don't even think about forbidden subjects, and prefer to divert the attention from them. So, maybe Musette broke the law and died, but as far the school is concerned, is not very different from an expulsion. If they say nothing the people will just think that is a normal case, and nobody start getting bad ideas. Some of the seniors that knew her maybe were surprised, but probably not enough to do something about it.

Also I have two questions. One about Ellen: what exactly she and Pastel are doing when you're not romancing her? The dialogue in the library was quite... suggestive? Ok, if I try to reason, ignoring hormones and double entendres, probably they're discussing about painting nails.
As for the second one, how are hall assigned? An interview with the professor before enrolling? I don't recall dialogues that specified it, but maybe I'm wrong.

hanako
Site Admin

#477 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:58 pm

jak wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 pm
Also I have two questions. One about Ellen: what exactly she and Pastel are doing when you're not romancing her? The dialogue in the library was quite... suggestive? Ok, if I try to reason, ignoring hormones and double entendres, probably they're discussing about painting nails.
While it's slightly hard to reach, there's a conversation available in Horse Hall where you can talk to Ellen about what she and Pastel did together while staying at Virginia's house. It involved hair and makeup and nail-painting. And a little bit of cuddling.
As for the second one, how are hall assigned? An interview with the professor before enrolling? I don't recall dialogues that specified it, but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't think this has ever been answered in canon.

jak

#478 Post by jak » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:02 am

hanako wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:58 pm
jak wrote:
While it's slightly hard to reach, there's a conversation available in Horse Hall where you can talk to Ellen about what she and Pastel did together while staying at Virginia's house. It involved hair and makeup and nail-painting. And a little bit of cuddling.
I don't think this has ever been answered in canon.
Thank you, and LOL for the first one.

MillaMaxwell

#479 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:39 pm

jak wrote:
I don't think that Potsdam is using magic to tamper with the memories of all the students: she doesn't even need to do it. Musette's confusion could be a side effect of being, well, dead. We don't know how ghosts work in this setting, but is quite common that they have only some memories and need help with unfinished business. And usually students don't care much whenever a wildseed disappears: it just happens, some student just don't fit in, and if a students disappears, she/he probably just broke a rule. And maybe Musette already got a strike, so everyone think that she just insisted and got punished.
Her dating Damien could be her first "strike," given how everyone acts toward Mary Sue in Horse Hall when she dates him. Granted, a big part of that is Virginia, but if Musette knew someone else who had a grudge against Damien and got as defensive over her relationship choices as Mary Sue does in certain routes, she could already be seen as someone who doesn't really "fit in" with expectations. Combine that with most student's casual attitude toward wildseeds suddenly disappearing and that would certainly explain why everyone thinks she was just expelled. Although it would be weirder for a Snake girl to have that much trouble fitting in, given that they're already viewed as odd and quirky by the other students...

It also wouldn't surprise me if Potsdam knew that Musette died and just doesn't see the need to share. It's easier to keep everyone in line if they're not asking questions and just assume that Musette broke some rule or other and lost her memories.

Hesquidor

#480 Post by Hesquidor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

Not sure if this is just because the art hasn't been finished yet; but when Big Steve turned up to Sports Club after Christmas he just had a placeholder.