Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
manfromba

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#436 Post by manfromba » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 pm

May I post about improper uses of who when whom would be more appropriate? And what are the plans for unrolling Suki's route?

hanako
Site Admin

#437 Post by hanako » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:35 pm

You can definitely post who/whom stuff; depending on the circumstances I may not fix it but it's good to know anyway :)

For Suki I don't know yet, sorry.

Cautious91

#438 Post by Cautious91 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:43 am

motmetod wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:51 am
quite easy to get the Scheming trait by accident
Oh dear, yes. :shock: I'm currently checking the main character's codex after every single dialogue option I pick, and having only talked to Grabby and William I have already spotted at least 3 innocent-looking answers that apparently come off as scheming. Imagine what the rest of the game will be like. It's like walking through a minefield.
I take it we can have multiple traits? But it only takes a single answer to aqcuire a trait... So we can end up having every trait in the book by the end? :?

hanako
Site Admin

#439 Post by hanako » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:47 am

You're generally only supposed to have one trait, and the first week is the main part of the game where traits get set (while they can be adjusted later, that first week does a lot of setting out what kind of character you're playing.) That's the main idea of a lot of those conversations in the first week, to set up your basic personality for the rest of the game! Whichever trait you have the most points in is your dominant personality type. So the very first question you answer that adjusts personality type will temporarily give you that trait, because you'd have one point in it and no points in anything else, but by the end of the first week when you've answered a lot of questions you might now have more points in something else, so your dominant trait will have changed.

However, because of the way they're set in different choices, it is POSSIBLE to tie multiple traits with the same number of points and therefore be Lazy and Scheming at the same time (or whatever).

The effect this has can vary. There are a few times where something happens only for one personality type, and then if you're on a tie you'll still get it. There are other times when a conversation has different reactions for each personality type, and then depending on the way I've written it, you might get only one reaction or you might get two - and if you get one, WHICH one you get won't be the same every time either. It'll come down to the specific chain of if-else's in that event.

So if the question is like "Hey, will you do all this work for me?" there might be script of
if Lazy - "Nope!"
else if Scheming - "What's in it for me?"

because those are mutually exclusive responses. But other times there are situations where it might be reasonable to make both responses. It really varies.

hanako
Site Admin

#440 Post by hanako » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:01 pm

0.6.25.1 update

* New scenes ending on Jan 26th
* Going into the menu in the dungeon should now be postponed until the
next interaction, which means that saves made with the dungeon console
open will no longer wind up with subtly desynced time. This fixes the
wolf duplication bug.
* Crash if we're broke when talking to Donald on Jan 24th fixed.
* New unit.AnnounceSeenHeard() method added, to combine visibility/audibility
checks.
* The wolf's growl should now be range-limited and only tell you 'The wolf
growls' when you can see it. Otherwise 'Something growls.' or 'The
wolf bares its teeth.' (if Silenced)
* Call lvl.ClampToTurn() when exiting exam5 through the portal. This means
saves containing an exam5 won by walking through the portal will no
longer be temporally inconsistent.
* Turn off screenshake every interaction. This makes it so that 'walk
onto lava, walk back, communicate with wolf' doesn't screenshake.
Hopefully it doesn't break any intended jitters elsewhere.
* Being killed by lightning should no longer give you the painful lessons
out-of-HP scene right after the special killed-by-lightning scene.
* Effect tab hides after making the deal with Donald.
* Crash when you take damage from a Condition() (say, by poisoning yourself)
fixed.
* Friendly ghost wolves now make a footstep noise instead of a growl.
* Dialog box on transition out of being knocked out in the dungeon.
* Now force the display of the final console when we're knocked out in
the dungeon.
* Save warning fixed.
* Killing a Force Wall should no longer crash.

New scenes include detention, dates with Ellen, Barbara, and Damien, some small Minnie moments, and shopping for William's birthday. There's also a couple of surprises, both good and bad. Particularly if you're on Damien's path please report if anything weird happens with the CG - it SHOULD do hairstyles correctly.

Vivien B.

#441 Post by Vivien B. » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:16 pm

During the January 20th exam, my PC cast Communication on the ghost wolf, but still didn't get any merits for it - Potsdam said he didn't use magic (granted, he walked over the lava rather than cast Teleport Self, but still).

I love this exam, by the way. My favourite one so far, very evocative of the traditional style RPGs I grew up with. <3

Foelhe

#442 Post by Foelhe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 am

I noticed Prof Potsdam didn't say anything about befriending the ghost wolf after I used Communication on it. Is she supposed to bring that up?

hanako
Site Admin

#443 Post by hanako » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:01 am

No, she's only supposed to comment if you made it hostile. There's no direct benefit for befriending the wolf atm (which there should also be one other way of achieving) though it may be an achievement at some point when we actually do those.

But obviously casting spells is casting spells, so you shouldn't get the 'no spells' outcome if you did cast one on it.

manfromba

#444 Post by manfromba » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Here are some corrections that I have made.

How an aspiring wizard handles power is as valuable to know as how they respond to it.
Should be
How an aspiring wizard handles power is as valuable to know as how e responds to it.

You can stop someone from seeing by making them blind.
Should be
You can stop someone from seeing by making em blind.

And if you should happen to bump into a blind target, they will then know exactly where you are.
Should be
And if you should happen to bump into a blind target, then e will know exactly where you are.

If someone attacks you, and you attack them, then you are both harmed.
Should be
If someone attacks you, and you attack em, then you are both harmed.

If you Stagger a fellow spellcaster, you force them to waste mana on fizzled spells, but you use up your mana as well.
Should be
If you Stagger a fellow spellcaster, you force em to waste mana on fizzled spells, but you use up your mana as well.

If I had a partner, they could act while I kept a monster Staggered.
Should be
If I were to have a partner, e could act while I would keep a monster Staggered.

I hesitate, uncertain who to choose.
Should be
I hesitate, uncertain whom to choose.

If you were in a play, who would you rather be?
Should be
If you were in a play, whom would you rather be?

That name will tell you who you’re a Secret Santa for.
Should be
That name will tell you whom you’re a Secret Santa for.

Who should I think about? Who might I share some sort of connection with?
Should be
Whom should I think about? Whom might I share some sort of connection with?

Maybe there will even be someone you can help with their [Gary Stu’s highest color] magic!
Should be
Maybe there will even be someone whom you can help with eir [Gary Stu’s highest color] magic!

Ground Spell: Interrupts target’s casting to redirect their spell to the ground or floor.
Should be
Ground Spell: Interrupts target’s spellcasting and redirects the spell to the ground or floor.

However, if your target was not casting a spell at the time, only your own mana would be expended.
Should be
However, if your target were not casting a spell at the time, then only your mana would be expended.

Draining the mana of a hostile spellcaster recharges your own ability to cast spells, while limiting theirs.
Should be
Draining the mana of a hostile spellcaster recharges your own ability to cast spells while limiting eirs.

If you Drain it, they are weakened and you are not.
Should be
If you Drain it, then e is weakened and you are not.

Like that time when I heard someone sneaking around in the halls, and they attacked me.
Should be
Like that time when I heard someone sneaking around in the halls, and e attacked me.

If it’s not my enemy, then we can’t even guess who it might have been.
Should be
If it’s not my enemy, then we can’t even guess whom it might have been.

And there are people here that I care about.
Should be
And there are people here whom I care about.

Here at school, no one has their parents with them.
Should be
Here at school, no one has eir parents with em.

Pastel really likes crystals, she has lots of them.
Should be
Pastel really likes crystals; she has lots of them.

LateWhiteRabbit

#445 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:54 am

manfromba wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm
Here are some corrections that I have made.

How an aspiring wizard handles power is as valuable to know as how they respond to it.
Should be
How an aspiring wizard handles power is as valuable to know as how e responds to it.

You can stop someone from seeing by making them blind.
Should be
You can stop someone from seeing by making em blind.

And if you should happen to bump into a blind target, they will then know exactly where you are.
Should be
And if you should happen to bump into a blind target, then e will know exactly where you are.

If someone attacks you, and you attack them, then you are both harmed.
Should be
If someone attacks you, and you attack em, then you are both harmed.

If you Stagger a fellow spellcaster, you force them to waste mana on fizzled spells, but you use up your mana as well.
Should be
If you Stagger a fellow spellcaster, you force em to waste mana on fizzled spells, but you use up your mana as well.

If I had a partner, they could act while I kept a monster Staggered.
Should be
If I were to have a partner, e could act while I would keep a monster Staggered.
I know the Codex says that 'e' is used as a pronoun in place of "they", but I while I feel it is fairly clever and neat as a replacement for 'he' or 'she' when you are speaking of a specific individual whom you do not know the proper gender designation of, I find it silly as a replacement for a general "they" or "them", because those are already gender neutral in English. 'Em' should only be used when talking about a specific person, not when speaking in theoretical scenarios like in the lectures.

I.e. "You can stop someone from seeing by making them blind" is correct when discussing a hypothetical scenario.

If someone bumped into you in the dark and ran off, it would be appropriate when questioned to say, "I don't know what happened to em" because you are then speaking of a specific individual whose gender designation is unknown.

My nerdy two-cents on the subject.

EDIT: Just so I am clear, I mean that 'e' and 'em' should only replace uses of the singular 'they' or 'them' in English when referring to an individual. 'They' or 'them' pronouns would still be appropriate when talking in generalities. This is in-line with how the 'ze' pronouns work in the real world, which I believe was the basis for Hanako's pronouns in Magical Diary for the wizard world.

hanako
Site Admin

#446 Post by hanako » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am

That's roughly how I'm trying to work it, yes, but it's a tricky line to walk. There's also balance issues of trying not to be either too overwhelming or too infrequent with the pronouns, to help players get used to them. Plus, in dialog, there's the question of who's actually speaking, and who are they speaking to, which will affect their language choices. So yeah, some of these lines have already been thought about and decided not to go that way, but it's still worth bringing them up in case things slip through, doesn't hurt me to double-check.

Lucy

#447 Post by Lucy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm

hanako wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:01 pm
New scenes include detention, dates with Ellen, Barbara, and Damien, some small Minnie moments, and shopping for William's birthday. There's also a couple of surprises, both good and bad. Particularly if you're on Damien's path please report if anything weird happens with the CG - it SHOULD do hairstyles correctly.
My character's glasses disappeared during the CG scene... I understand why that would be harder/less obvious to include than hairstyles, though.

I also ran into this: Image

Lucy

#448 Post by Lucy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Also -- I'm really impressed with how many subtly different paths there are in this game, and how early decisions can have delayed consequences like when Ellen finds out you lied to her. And whenever I read this forum or other places I run into new possibilities that I haven't seen in the game (e.g. I saw something about a nature club on Twitter? No idea how to access that.)

hanako
Site Admin

#449 Post by hanako » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 pm

The nature club doesn't exist yet, it's something I anticipate will probably be added later to give a few extra scenes with characters like Manuel and Balthasar. So I'm pretty sure I have to write it eventually, but it's not in at the moment.

LateWhiteRabbit

#450 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:24 am

I just got a crash, in the 5th Exam with the Ghost Wolf. I've pasted the traceback log below.

It happened when I picked up the medallion.

Code: Select all

[code]
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/week21.rpy", line 242, in script call
  File "game/exam5.rpy", line 115, in script call
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2127, in script
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 385, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause()
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 489, in take_contents
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'facts' referenced before assignment

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/week21.rpy", line 242, in script call
  File "game/exam5.rpy", line 115, in script call
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2127, in script
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\ast.py", line 1706, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\ast.py", line 1724, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\statements.py", line 145, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 385, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause()
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\exports.py", line 1273, in pause
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='pause', type='pause', roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 2495, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 3169, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 952, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 952, in event
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\screen.py", line 651, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 889, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 824, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 299, in run
    new_rv = run(i, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 306, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Aaron Upton\Downloads\magical-diary-wolf-hall-win\renpy\curry.py", line 38, in __call__
    **dict(self.kwargs.items() + kwargs.items()))
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 489, in take_contents
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/space.py", line 948, in Tick
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/ship.py", line 885, in AdvanceTime
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/ship.py", line 558, in __call__
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/events.py", line 562, in QueuedLoot
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/wolfhall.py", line 2605, in Loot
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/conditions.py", line 498, in Triggered
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/wolfhall.py", line 2528, in Damage
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/units.py", line 1014, in Damage
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/units.py", line 1038, in NoteDamaged
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'facts' referenced before assignment

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.2.2029+SPIKY

[/code]