Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
manfromba

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#376 Post by manfromba » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:00 pm

MillaMaxwell wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:22 pm
manfromba wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 pm
Could there be a way in which Minnie teaches Gary Stu spells when her study sessions help him to reach a required level, at least for the low level spells (say, those associated with 5 and 10)? That way, Gary would not have a situation where Minnie's study sessions help him to reach 5 in a spell color but then need to waste a precious class session learning the spell associated with that level.
I was thinking about that recently too... It could be awkward to implement something like this though because you wouldn't get to see the scene where Grabiner or Potsdam explains the spell's use. And since Minnie approaches teaching very differently from either of them, new dialogue would have to be written if she gave the explanation instead. Now that I think about it though, I would kind of love to see how differently Minnie would approach that, giving a straightforward (if very enthusiastic) description rather than the dramatic ones Grabiner and Potsdam utilize.
Certainly, which is why, in order to make my proposal manageable (and to keep in mind that Minnie is herself a freshman), I suggested that she only be able to teach the lowest level spells.

cheshjabber

#377 Post by cheshjabber » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Seconding the "it would be nice if studying with Minnie let you learn the equivalent level spells" thing! I really like the "tutor others to boost your strongest magic" idea from further upthread too! I've never really understood the benefit of studying with Minnie vs studying alone on the weekend - 1 point in your weakest magic in exchange for 2 extra stress just never seemed worth it to me. Being able to a) learn spells in your weakest magic from Minnie and/or b) boost your strongest magic would definitely be nice, and maybe "study alone" could boost your smart by 2 instead of 1 in order to balance out the options?

Also, how do you get Donald to invite you to go Christmas shopping before it snows and the mall trip gets canceled? I've tried a couple times to trigger that but so far haven't managed it. Do you have to trigger a weekend scene somewhere? Have a certain personality trait? Is your participation in sports club/chorale and/or William relationship a factor? (Right now Donald's my best guess for a well-intentioned "Cupid," lmao - if "Cupid" has malevolent intentions I'm 99% certain that's Angela lmao.)
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

Gamer

#378 Post by Gamer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Has anyone figured out how to get the different personality text yet? I had an option to say Minnie seemed bossy after first meeting her, and one to hesitate about putting on the blindfold before William convinced me to do it. Now I can't figure out how to get those specific text.

hanako
Site Admin

#379 Post by hanako » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Donald doesn't exactly invite you to go shopping - if you have no money because of the deal you made with Potsdam and are worried about how to buy a present for Secret Santa, you may have the option to try and borrow money from Donald.

The 'bossy' option from the kickstarter demo was rewritten because everyone LPing it seemed to think it was overly mean of the PC and didn't want to pick it.

(The blindfold hesitation does depend on which personality type you have.)

ParrotWatcher

Re: Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#380 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm

ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:14 am
I do think that it's a shame there seems to be no White way to beat this. Maybe if there was some spirit in the stone or trigger who could be convinced to help you?

Otherwise, it does feel as though the teachers are just penalising any White student by not providing them any way to solve the puzzle... (Which is possibly in character for Potsdam, but I don't think it would be for Grabiner...)
I do really still think that there needs to be a way to pass this with a white build. It seems very unfair that someone with 59 White can get a dressing-down for "training unwisely" while someone with 5 Red can just walk through the exam with Push... I guess this could be used to convince people to put just a few extra points into other colours, but unless it's something that will affect other colours later in the year too, it still seems unfair towards White, and it's especially galling given how disparaging of Red magic Grabiner has been...

If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to actually call Grabiner out for making exams which can't be solved by certain schools...

manfromba

Re: Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#381 Post by manfromba » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 pm

ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm
ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:14 am
I do think that it's a shame there seems to be no White way to beat this. Maybe if there was some spirit in the stone or trigger who could be convinced to help you?

Otherwise, it does feel as though the teachers are just penalising any White student by not providing them any way to solve the puzzle... (Which is possibly in character for Potsdam, but I don't think it would be for Grabiner...)
I do really still think that there needs to be a way to pass this with a white build. It seems very unfair that someone with 59 White can get a dressing-down for "training unwisely" while someone with 5 Red can just walk through the exam with Push... I guess this could be used to convince people to put just a few extra points into other colours, but unless it's something that will affect other colours later in the year too, it still seems unfair towards White, and it's especially galling given how disparaging of Red magic Grabiner has been...

If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to actually call Grabiner out for making exams which can't be solved by certain schools...
Maybe a white magic route could involve detecting a spirit that controls (or is!) the gas and negotiating with it.

hanako
Site Admin

#382 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm

(Moved some posts as they were not tips or tricks.)

Quadrupletron

#383 Post by Quadrupletron » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:31 am

After exam 3, Ellen gets frustrated about not getting merits for clearing the dungeon without magic. The PC claims that he felt the rules about magic were obvious.

But what if the PC also attempted to clear a dungeon without magic (exam 2)? Would he think that the rules were obvious if he too tried the same thing as Ellen? I think it'd be cool to see different commentary on this scene if the PC previously cleared an exam without magic.

Vivien B.

#384 Post by Vivien B. » Wed May 01, 2019 4:12 pm

I have joined on itch.io, and am enjoying the game immensely so far. Can't wait to discover all the secrets out there.

I have a suggestion to make. During the (very minor spoilers follow) conversation with Ellen about Columbus, the PC mentions not knowing who the man was. Being from Central/Eastern Europe myself (well, the PC lives further to the South than I do, but still), I find that somewhat improbable. The discovery of America is a known fact here, commonly taught at primary schools (along with details such as the names of his three ships). His name is very recognizeable and would be known even to people of little academic achievement. I understand that this might be a character issue, perhaps stemming from the prince's upbringing, but *really*: chances are that anyone with at least a moderate level of exposure to the non-magical culture would know this name. Just some cultural perspective, if you will. ;)

Oh, and also -- is it alright to post theories and guesses here?

hanako
Site Admin

#385 Post by hanako » Thu May 02, 2019 9:37 am

Theories and guesses are generally fine although I obviously can't respond to them. :) However, if discussion gets too heated, like with the recent exchange that kind of ran away from us, I may sometimes have to step in and ask people to hold those thoughts.

Vivien B.

#386 Post by Vivien B. » Fri May 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Got it! <3

A spoilerish theory then: Granted, I don't think this idea is going to be shocking to anyone (especially to people who talked to Suki Sato in Snake Hall), but: Musette wasn't 'expelled' as we're led to believe in the first installment of the game (or perhaps in this alternative world, things are simply different) - she died. Probably by her own hand once she found out her magic and her memories would be taken away. Her spirit still lingers in the Iris Academy. She's described as having distinct red hair, and a mysterious girl with red hair is glimpsed by the Prince when he uses White Magic and also seen passing through the wall by Ellen (who was likely experimenting with something at the time, too). She was a Snake, and apparently haunts their Hall and spends enough time there to have likely confided in Suki (the offhand remark about needing to find friends to find her way forward).

I'd be so excited if even parts of it were true! I absolutely adore how dark and dangerous this universe can be under the wondrous exterior; this development would subvert something most of the fandom believed for years. As someone wise said not too long ago, What a coup!

manfromba

#387 Post by manfromba » Sat May 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Vivien B. wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:12 pm
I have a suggestion to make. During the (very minor spoilers follow) conversation with Ellen about Columbus, the PC mentions not knowing who the man was. Being from Central/Eastern Europe myself (well, the PC lives further to the South than I do, but still), I find that somewhat improbable. The discovery of America is a known fact here, commonly taught at primary schools (along with details such as the names of his three ships). His name is very recognizeable and would be known even to people of little academic achievement. I understand that this might be a character issue, perhaps stemming from the prince's upbringing, but *really*: chances are that anyone with at least a moderate level of exposure to the non-magical culture would know this name. Just some cultural perspective, if you will. ;)
I interpret this scene as evidence that Gary Stu is not exactly a typical mage, nor is his family. Hints of this also appear with his allusion to having a way to travel through the otherworld in ways that other human mages cannot.

Lucy

#388 Post by Lucy » Sat May 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Vivien B. wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:28 pm
A spoilerish theory then: Granted, I don't think this idea is going to be shocking to anyone (especially to people who talked to Suki Sato in Snake Hall), but: Musette wasn't 'expelled' as we're led to believe in the first installment of the game (or perhaps in this alternative world, things are simply different) - she died. Probably by her own hand once she found out her magic and her memories would be taken away. Her spirit still lingers in the Iris Academy. She's described as having distinct red hair, and a mysterious girl with red hair is glimpsed by the Prince when he uses White Magic and also seen passing through the wall by Ellen (who was likely experimenting with something at the time, too). She was a Snake, and apparently haunts their Hall and spends enough time there to have likely confided in Suki (the offhand remark about needing to find friends to find her way forward).
I think you're onto something. Further evidence: in the trailer, a ghost of a snake girl with red hair is flying towards you. I don't think this has happened in the game yet but maybe I just didn't make the right choices needed to get to that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=567MFr1Jwxc

Unrelated question: is it possible to become president if your only personality trait is lazy? I've tried and failed at this.

hanako
Site Admin

#389 Post by hanako » Sat May 04, 2019 2:23 pm

That scene was put together to look cool for the trailer, it's not an in-game scene at this point in time. You haven't missed it. :)

As for the Lazy question - I would have to check a bunch of math to tell if it's impossible, but it's certainly (intentionally) much more difficult to get elected if the student body thinks that you're lazy.

Vivien B.

#390 Post by Vivien B. » Sat May 04, 2019 8:14 pm

@manfromba,

Good point. And yes, I considered that, too. Not to mention that Gary is to assume 'The Mantle of the Woods' and then will remain, as Grabiner says, forever tied to his family's territory, which could indeed lead to a degree of isolation where such things are not common knowledge. Still, he clearly appears to understand most of what is 'normal' outside of his social circle. Hamburgers, cheerleaders,jocks, cartoons, the lack of servants -- his knowledge of the world, and especially the misconceptions and generalizations about American culture are not far off from the beliefs held by any Southern European teenager. One might assume that he at least heard of Columbus, too. Besides, in the context of Ellen's reply, which framed it as an ethnic issue, it just sounded a touch off.

@Lucy,

Oooh, good catch! I've forgotten about that one. It does sound in character for her to have been a Midnight Poet...

In more general news, my very favourite scene is the time when the PC's position as a prince is revealed to the player. I loved how poetic, melancholy and vivid the memories of his homeland were. Beautiful writing. The melancholy of the narrative made him more relatable for me than Horse Hall PC was. <3