Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
nightshadengale

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#346 Post by nightshadengale » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 pm

-Should Dispel Object work to get rid of lava? I was figuring it was there from an enchantment on the floor (though I can see how even if you dispelled it, maybe the floor would have to cool down on its own).

-Might it be possible to add a "put it on now?" option when you buy something from the magic store? I always end up having to reload because I forgot to put the charm I just bought on...usually multiple times. Even when there's no scene on Sunday. I had this problem in Horse Hall too, but it was normally less of an issue to forget to equip your new purchase for several weeks.

-I'm having trouble getting the scene I keep seeing people mention where you ask Barbara about the Dark Dance. I go down to the dungeon every weekend unless nothing happens when I go, and she seems to be reacting positively to the dialogue options I pick, but after the dance Raven and Suki talk to me and then Barbara's not in the dungeons. Could someone tell me more about when/where this scene happens and what you had to do to get it?

hanako
Site Admin

#347 Post by hanako » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Does Detect Charm currently register the lava as an enchantment? (I honestly don't remember, though I don't think it does.) Dispel should generally only work on things that show up that way.

One of the Barbara scenes only triggers if you chased after the mysterious noise in the hallway one night in the past.

hanako
Site Admin

#348 Post by hanako » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:18 pm

(whoops, raven's sprite still needs fixing, which will be more obvious if you get her secret santa scene. forgot to include taht in the patch)

ParrotWatcher

#349 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Okay, so first of all, I'm really impressed that you somehow found a way to make Manuel even more adorable by making his ears move... (I know this was the previous update, but I needed to say it...)

I got an error when I tried to use Diamond on the MC in a weekend dungeon:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 42, in script call
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 755, in script call
  File "game/week15.rpy", line 888, in script call
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2034, in script
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 385, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause()
  File "game/spells.rpy", line 385, in cast_spell
  File "game/spells.rpy", line 119, in zapped
  File "game/spells.rpy", line 264, in cast_delayed_spell_thing
AttributeError: class Diamond has no attribute 'CastOn'
(I should note that I was using an old save, so it's possible that that has something to do with it.)

Also, I'm kinda worried about Luke. He seems to be failing pretty much all his exams, and he's too stubborn to admit it... And how long before the MC and Donald notice it...? :(

phoenixgirl

#350 Post by phoenixgirl » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:38 pm

ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 pm
Also, I'm kinda worried about Luke. He seems to be failing pretty much all his exams, and he's too stubborn to admit it... And how long before the MC and Donald notice it...? :(
I'm not sure where you're getting that impression. From what I've seen (unless I missed it), Luke is more worried that he can't seem to cast his spells correctly, but he seems to be passing his exams ok. It's stated that he definitely passed the first exam and then for the November one, he celebrates for passing that one, so yeah.
Please help and support me here.

Emma E.

#351 Post by Emma E. » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:11 am

nightshadengale wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 pm
I'm having trouble getting the scene I keep seeing people mention where you ask Barbara about the Dark Dance. I go down to the dungeon every weekend unless nothing happens when I go, and she seems to be reacting positively to the dialogue options I pick, but after the dance Raven and Suki talk to me and then Barbara's not in the dungeons. Could someone tell me more about when/where this scene happens and what you had to do to get it?
I myself haven't gotten this scene, so be prepared to discard my guess. When you meet Raven and Suki, they say Barbara is in detention, right? So probably YOU have to get detention that week to see her.

nightshadengale

#352 Post by nightshadengale » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:51 am

Emma E. wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:11 am
nightshadengale wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 pm
I'm having trouble getting the scene I keep seeing people mention where you ask Barbara about the Dark Dance. I go down to the dungeon every weekend unless nothing happens when I go, and she seems to be reacting positively to the dialogue options I pick, but after the dance Raven and Suki talk to me and then Barbara's not in the dungeons. Could someone tell me more about when/where this scene happens and what you had to do to get it?
I myself haven't gotten this scene, so be prepared to discard my guess. When you meet Raven and Suki, they say Barbara is in detention, right? So probably YOU have to get detention that week to see her.
Nope, it was actually not investigating the noise like Hanako said! I'd done it on an earlier playthrough, but I must've messed something up and reloaded and not done it again.

nightshadengale

#353 Post by nightshadengale » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:33 am

A bit of odd text from foresight + fear:
Last edited by nightshadengale on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gamer

#354 Post by Gamer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:18 am

After playing through the game, I just want to say you don't need to refer to the characters by their race, like that black teacher or that Asian student. I get that the protagonist is a foreigner but it sounds unnecessary, especially considering nobody ever points out a white character's race, and we could technically make the protagonist someone black or Asian if we wanted to.

My other feedback is that I'm a little disappointed I can't try to get detention every weekend. Maybe that would seem out of character for the protagonist and piss Grabiner off, but it was always fun for me in Horse Hall. And I'd have liked the option to run for treasurer too, even if it's a little redundant.

phoenixgirl

#355 Post by phoenixgirl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 am

Just played the new content and I must say I really want to know what's up with Blaise running away from Prof. Van Brun. I really want to know. :lol:
Please help and support me here.

ParrotWatcher

#356 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am

phoenixgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:38 pm
ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 pm
I'm not sure where you're getting that impression. From what I've seen (unless I missed it), Luke is more worried that he can't seem to cast his spells correctly, but he seems to be passing his exams ok. It's stated that he definitely passed the first exam and then for the November one, he celebrates for passing that one, so yeah.
I'm pretty certain he failed the December exam, at least, from how cagey he is when Donald is talking about it. I guess he's not in detention, admittedly, but that could mean he gave up rather than trying to fight. And while he did probably pass in October, I'm not sure about the September one; from what he says it's possible he may have knocked himself out in the explosion and failed that way. (Remember that Donald is the one who says he passed; he never actually confirms it.) He's not in detention again, but the MC only gets there by intentionally failing the exam; an accidental failure may not have been considered bad enough. I don't think we know how he did in November, again, he's not in detention, but the MC can certainly fail without getting detention (again), so that proves nothing. But certainly out of the three exams we've seen him right after, in only one case is he actually happy, and in the other two, he's depressed and cagey. I guess he's not completely flunking out, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has more demerits than merits, given how he reacts when Donald mentions them. I will admit that I may be reading too much into this, though. :P

Note for hanako: my various experiments with exam failure and detention has lead me to discover that if you intentionally fall into the pit in December, you get given detention, but don't actually go the following day.

EDIT: Also, regarding the Secret Santa, has anyone got something from someone other than Luke or Jacob or are they the only two? (Also, I'd really like to see the fallout from suggesting pairing Minnie with Barbara... :twisted:)
Last edited by ParrotWatcher on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emma E.

#357 Post by Emma E. » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:11 pm

How do you update to the new build?

hanako
Site Admin

#358 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:21 pm

How do you update to the new build?
If you're using the itch game manager, it should automatically update after patches are released, and only change the files that actually need to be replaced.

If you're installing the game manually though you'll need to delete your current one and download the latest build in its entirety, which should be possible to do on the game page when you're logged into your account.
EDIT: Also, regarding the Secret Santa, has anyone got something from someone other than Luke or Jacob or are they the only two? (Also, I'd really like to see the fallout from suggesting pairing Minnie with Barbara... :twisted:)
At this point in time those are the only people who can give the PC a card. As other paths and options develop, it's possible that will change.

As for your second, I was actually pondering whether that should be a thing or not...

MillaMaxwell

#359 Post by MillaMaxwell » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:48 am

I ran into an odd thing in the fourth exam. I died and the screen faded out, but instead of cutting to the usual scolding from Grabiner, it just cut right to a scene of chatting with Luke and Donald about Friday the 13th back at Wolf Hall. I got this result by walking up to the Bladen Beast, suddenly realizing I don't have any attack spells in this playthrough, casting Boost Strength instead, running ahead, lighting things and healing myself as I go, and then dying when the Boost Strength wore off. It definitely warranted some sort of scolding, haha...

Edit rather than making a new post:
I'm not sure exactly when this happened to my status bar, but it was sometime in the December 13-15 range:
When I click or hover over the incomplete status bar, it doesn't expand like normal or respond in any way. This is from the same playthrough as the odd behavior I described above, so it might be related.

manfromba

#360 Post by manfromba » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 pm

During the scene when the stagger spell is introduced, Garry Stu thinks a thought using the word "they" when the word "e" would be more appropriate.
hanako wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:18 pm
(whoops, raven's sprite still needs fixing, which will be more obvious if you get her secret santa scene. forgot to include taht in the patch)
How does one get Raven as a Secret Santa?

Speaking of Secret Santas, in my most recent playthrough, my character was as nice as possible to Barbara but got her as his Secret Santa.

Speaking of Barbara, is it possible to be with her when she sees the spirits?